HybridZ

How much does your S30 weigh NOW.

Guest ttoude

Mike, my z is within 50 lbs of yours [i'm 180 lbs]. Ls1, t56, alum rad, 6 pt autopower cage, stock fuel tank with atl black box, factory glass all around, corbeau seats, sound deadening [factory] there, q45 diff, 17" wheels and disc brakes. f-r distribution is 49-51 and cross weights are within a percent of each other. So, what are you and I doing wrong with our z's?! They seem to be about 200-300 lbs heavier than the others here.

Edited by 1 tuff z

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm gonna weigh my car on Tuesday. I really think I will be in the 2300 lb range.

There's no ac, no heat, fully gutted interior, engine and chasis wiring tossed in garbage, car has bare minimum in engine harness and body, fuel cell, aluminum dash, fiberglass hood, no steel bumpers, and asr20 with side exit exhaust.

David, I don't know man... I'm just a little confused. My seats combined weight 36 pounds. My dash and gauges weigh maybe 15 pounds. My doors don't weigh more than 12 pounds each. My hood is carbon fiber and weighs nothing. No rear bumper or bumper hardware, the front bumper beind an MSA Type 3 airdam/bumper that weighs maybe 15 pounds.

Areas I know I can whittle down, tires/wheels are heavy and we have a solution in the works for that. The battery is heavy, so maybe a Braille unit could help... What else??? I know my cage is pretty substantial, but it's still only 1.5 inch SCCA legal tubing. The fuel cell is lighter than the stock fuel tank.

MrJDM, You might make that weight, but you likely may not. I got the numbers Thursday night and wanted to puke. I was expecting 2300-2500 pounds, but NOT 2700 pounds... No way in hell... Well... Here I am... 2700 pounds.

Here's what I know... I have the means, and if need be, I'll gutt the cage and start over on the car. This car WILL lose the weight... I've lost 30 pounds in three months, and I'll lose another 30 over the fall/winter... The car has got to shed pounds if I'm going to enter it in anything worth doing with it.

Mike

Edited by Mikelly

By the way, this is a very handy little corner weight calculator...

http://opuscorvair.com/cornerweightcalculator.html

My cross corner weights are pretty decent at 48.5%, and the front to rear is really good ... 48.2 front/51.8! Even if she is a heavy pig!!!

Mike

Edited by Mikelly

Cooll link Mike-here are my results.

· Weight [1/2 tank gas] 2769

· Total wt 2944; front:1451, rear:1493 [including 175# driver]

· Corner wt w/175# driver; 754 LF, 747 LR, 703 RF, 740 RR

· f/r weight distribution 49.49 / 50.509

· cross weights 50.7% lf / rr, 49.3 rf / lr

With a cross weight of >48.5%, you have what is considered to be a TIGHT race car.

Just added power windows so it may have gained a bit of weight, perhaps once the long tubes are completed and installed it'll offset that gain or I may have to install a little cam...

Edited by 1 tuff z

Gents-

My 260 (late '74 model) seems to be a little on the porky side, too (2810 lbs w/o me)....but it doesn't surprise me, considering the way she's currently fitted out (weekday DD, weekend play-racer):

- iron-head SBC w/ TH350, mini-starter, aluminum water pump, aluminum intake, block hugger headers

- Autopower roll bar

- full interior, w/ Honda Prelude seats (fairly lightweight)

- street wheels & tires

- steel flares

- half-tank gas

- bumpers removed (saved 90 lbs!)

I drop 70 lbs immediately when putting on the race wheels.

r/John

• 3 months later...

I know this is for S30;s, but I weighed my s130 base model coupe that I've been working on and it came in at 2470.

Specs:

Full 20 gal tank, all fluids

no Sound deadening, no spare tire or tools

completely stripped save for the dash, center console and 2 sparco tec seats (40lbs for the pair)

No AC lines in the bay( still have under the dash stuff)

No power windows, or power steering

s13 coilovers, s13 alum radiator.

6-2-1 headers w/o cat and shaved n42 intake

No front bumper( have a fiberglass Gnose on)

I didn't have my whale tail on, but it cant be more than 30 lbs.

Mikelly, Likely there is some variation on different scales. Probably more so in the individual build of each of these cars posted( my 2 cents ). " I have an early 260z " It has a 3rd gen iron 6.0L. alum heads / 4l80e/ 9 3/4 sterling rear/ supercharger system/alum radiator/ 2x3 full frame & roll over protection/ stock seats/full interior with extra insulation/factory glass/ all steel cowl hood/ fiberglass lower front / no ac or ps./all fluids inc 10 gal poly fuel cell-Full. scaled 3040 lb. 1440 front 1600 rear with engine set back 3 1/2".

• 1 year later...

Mine is 2,300 without me in it. It's an inter cooled L28ET swap in a stripped interior (with sheet metal dash instead of factory one) 1973 Z.

My 72 with a 2.8 NA, most interior removed, roll bar with backstays, all glass still in, gutted dash just scaled at 2254. 

Last time I had mine on scales it was about 1983 lbs without driver, and with a couple gallons of gas, it had the full dash, but no interior plastics, all sound deadening removed, the seats replaced with Kirky aluminum shells, no side glass, rear glass replaced with plexy, and no lights.

It has no lights now, just brackets to hold some switches and gauges, the harness has been removed, and I ground off many of the now useless brackets for holding stock interior stuff. I need to get it on the scales again eventually to corner balance it.

This is where I have to get....vintage rules allow me 1950lbs so I have 300 to go.  I may have to PM you for some help moving into your neighborhood.

I've kept track of the weight of my '77 280Z.  In stock form with the L28, 5-spd, R200, MSA type 1 ground effects kit, and 3/4 tank of gas it weighed 2,800 lbs - evenly split front and rear.  Same set-up after the LS1/T56 conversion it weighed 2830 lbs - 1,400 on the nose and 1,430 on the tail.  After doing the full interior - dynamite, leather, house carpet, front and rear sway bars, 4-pt roll bar and a 7 speaker 500 watt sound system the car porked up to an even 3,000 lbs - 1,440 on the nose and 1,560 on the tail.  These weights were all taken on the same certified truck scale.  During the conversion I had corner weights taken and they totalled up to the same front and rear as the truck scale.

• 2 months later...

1973 240Z With Zero fuel, no driver, full cage, gutted interior, gutted doors, aluminum dash plexi hatch and quarters, L28 with 5 SPeed and R200 running 15x10s all around and S12W up front was 2252 lbs.

I weighed my Battery tonight oink oink at 35 lbs.  That isn't going back in.

Alternator was 12 pounds.  That isn't going back in..

Starter was 14 pounds.  That isn't going back in. either...

1973 240Z With Zero fuel, no driver, full cage, gutted interior, gutted doors, aluminum dash plexi hatch and quarters, L28 with 5 SPeed and R200 running 15x10s all around and S12W up front was 2252 lbs.

I weighed my Battery tonight oink oink at 35 lbs.  That isn't going back in.

Alternator was 12 pounds.  That isn't going back in..

Starter was 14 pounds.  That isn't going back in. either...

What will you use to replace the alternator and starter?

My 73 weights 2506 weighted on the scale at US 13 dragway and the DOT truck scale nearby. Both with a half tank of fuel, both weights within 10lbs of eachother. Other weight was 2516.

L28ET swap, T5 trans, R200 Rear 15"aluminum wheels Stock interior, aluminum radiator, intercooler, exhaust also does have a muffler on it (pretty dang heavy one), agm group 24 battery.

Stock body no mods or flares etc, no cage or roll bar.  I wish I had weighed it right when I bought it.

• 3 months later...

Just picked up a 11/70 240 bare chassis - has front suspension/steering rack/column/wheel & rear suspension/r180 diff - 14" steel wheels with tires - nothing else.

No doors, hood, hatch, interior or any lights or wiring.

1085 lbs.

I am thinking of transferring everything from my 260 race car to this chassis to trim down my bulky 2350 lbs.