HybridZ

240z8's '73 240z Ford V8 Project

240z8

My dad and I have had our eyes on this car for over a year now. We stumbled on the car a while back in Farwell, TX out on the edge of town. Around 9-10 months ago, we finally got the chance to talk to a relative of the owner of the car. We had gone to buy a 260z from a junkyard (which also turned out to be his, but the junkyard crushed it for no reason. It had only gone in to get worked on, but paperwork was lost.), but when we got there with the trailer and all, the people running the junkyard decided not to sell it to us right then. When we left the junkyard, I remembered this Z about a block away and we drove there and finally got to talk to someone about the car. A few months go by and it is November 13. I remembered the owner's relative's name, found where he lived from the phone book, and went to talk with him. After talking for a few minutes of talking, he called the owner of the car. He talked with the owner for a while, and told me to go to his house to talk with him. I get to the man's house, I see a white 280z and a black 280zx parked in his driveway and get a little excited. He normally drives a really nice white convertible Corvette and the Z's are his projects. We talk for a while and he gives me some information on the car. He says he bought the car with the engine in it and had planned on swapping the engine into a better body. He told me he'd let go of the car for $200. My dad called him and finalized the deal. A week later we went and got the car.

We had a bit of trouble getting the car onto the trailer. Over the last few years, the key was lost and the wheel was locked in place. We got the trailer positioned and pushed the car onto the trailer with only a little trouble. The car didn't go on totally straight so we had to jack it up a little and tip over the jack to get the car centered and all the way on the trailer.

When we got the car home, the first thing I did was swap the ignition from the other '73. I needed an ignition with a key to start the damn thing. :lol: Thanks to ModernS30 for telling me how to get it off. I had to use an air cut-off tool to make the headless screws into basically flat-heads. Then I cleaned the car out a bunch. The old carpet was nasty, falling apart, and sticking to things. I threw all of that away. I vacuumed it out and generally cleaned it up. Next, I had to smash up the old oil filter to get it off the block. It was hitting the engine mount when I tried to get it off so I crushed in the bottom of it. We put in a new oil filter after we rounded out the bottom of it with a hammer and then we put in new oil. We got the car to turn over when we sprayed ether in the carb and got it to run for a few seconds before it would die. The gas has probably been sitting since the car was last registered in September 2002, so it was too old to use. I drained the gas tank, blew out the hard-lines, blew out the line going through the engine, and blew out the carb. I just replaced the fuel filter earlier, and we should be trying to get the car running better soon.

Now, for some pictures!

Most of this dirt was from the engine bay and under the cowl. Most of the bad looking body is just cracking paint. There isn't much Bondo.

DSCF2118.jpg?t=1290665420

DSCF2086.jpg?t=1290669260

DSCF2085.jpg?t=1290669260

DSCF2090.jpg?t=1290669260

DSCF2091.jpg?t=1290669260

DSCF2117.jpg?t=1290665420

DSCF2080.jpg?t=1290669260

DSCF2103.jpg?t=1290669260

DSCF2094.jpg?t=1290669260

DSCF2078.jpg?t=1290669260

DSCF2105.jpg?t=1290665420

The radiator is mostly stock. The water outlets (I think that's what they are) are swapped to the opposite sides on top and bottom.

DSCF2112.jpg?t=1290665420

DSCF2108.jpg?t=1290665420

This is the oil filter relocation kit and some Seafoam to clean out the fuel system.

DSCF2171.jpg?t=1290665420

These are the rims that came with it:

DSCF2114.jpg?t=1290665420

Hopefully, when the car is running well, it will replace this as my DD.

DSCF2113.jpg?t=1290665420

For some strange and unknown reasons, I only get roughly 13 mpg in it. The rims and larger tires are messing the the speedo and odometer so I'm probably getting better gas mileage than I thought.

I really hope this Z gets better gas mileage than this. :lol:

Edited by 240z8

Earlier, we put in new gas, put the fuel lines back together (connected the lines to the new fuel filter), and tried to start it up. We got it running for a few seconds again, but it wasn't very smooth. It only ran for a few seconds by itself until it died. Then, we pulled the stock 600 cfm (I think that's right) Holley 4 barrel and put the rebuilt 600 cfm Holley 4 barrel, from the '71 build, in its place. We had to cut the hard line so we could use the newer carb. The stock Ford Holley's fuel comes in straight from a hard line, where the other goes from a hard line to a hose to the carb. We only tried to start it a couple times before we went inside for dinner, but it seemed like no fuel was getting to the carb. I think that there might be a fuel line clamp that I didn't tighten all the way. I'll flange the cut line tomorrow and hopefully it might help solve the problem. I'm hoping to get the car running in the next few days. It shouldn't take much more, hopefully, to get it running smoothly.

More info please. Year. engine, trany, etc.

Mongo

Earlier, we put in new gas, put the fuel lines back together (connected the lines to the new fuel filter), and tried to start it up. We got it running for a few seconds again, but it wasn't very smooth. It only ran for a few seconds by itself until it died. Then, we pulled the stock 600 cfm (I think that's right) Holley 4 barrel and put the rebuilt 600 cfm Holley 4 barrel, from the '71 build, in its place. We had to cut the hard line so we could use the newer carb. The stock Ford Holley's fuel comes in straight from a hard line, where the other goes from a hard line to a hose to the carb. We only tried to start it a couple times before we went inside for dinner, but it seemed like no fuel was getting to the carb. I think that there might be a fuel line clamp that I didn't tighten all the way. I'll flange the cut line tomorrow and hopefully it might help solve the problem. I'm hoping to get the car running in the next few days. It shouldn't take much more, hopefully, to get it running smoothly.

More info please. Year. engine, trany, etc.

Mongo

The engine is a 1985 Mustang HO 302. Transmission is a 5 speed, presumably stock. R200 differential. The previous owner said it has a hydraulic clutch out of a 1982 Toyota truck. I haven't found the VIN on the block yet, but the stamps on the intake, heads, and stock carb say E5, which I believe is '85. I don't know if there is a VIN on the tranny to see if it is stock, but I'll look for one.

If anyone knows exactly where the engine VIN is, please speak up. I've read that it is either above the starter or on the back of the block below the heads.

If you have any more questions, fell free to ask. I'll try my best to answer them.

Edited by 240z8

Worked on the car more earlier. I got screw down hose clamps instead of the stupid squeeze type that came with the fuel filter, that fixed my fuel leak problem. We got the car running for a while earlier, but it had a 3000 rpm idle when my foot was on the brake and a 3500 idle when my foot was off of the brake. It turned out to be that the throttle cable was too tight and was holding itself open.When we had it running, the engine started smoking everywhere like I had an oil leak or a bad gasket somewhere. I don't think I have an oil leak because there in't any oil on the ground under the car. It might have just sat too long, I don't know. The newer carb we put on yesterday seems to have a fuel delivery problem. Gas is definitely getting to the carb, but it isn't coming out of the primary bowl. What might be wrong with the carb?

Edited by 240z8

Update time again! I took the primary bowl and metering plate off the carb, cleaned them again, blew out all of the passages in them, made sure the accelerator pump worked, but when I put it all back together, there still wasn't any fuel getting through the carb. I took the accelerator pump discharge nozzle off and it seemed to have a little bit of gunk clogging up the openings. I cleaned it out and it works like a charm now. Earlier today I got the car running very well, but I look at the engine bay and it was spraying out a bunch of fuel from the line between the two bowls. It turned out that I split the little rubber washer/seal on the primary bowl and had to get some new ones. After that little setback, I started the car again. When I cut the fuel line so it would work with this carb, I must have split it further down because there was a puddle of gas underneath the car. I'll see what damage I did and try to fix it tomorrow. But at least I can get it started and keep it running.

Update time again! I took the primary bowl and metering plate off the carb, cleaned them again, blew out all of the passages in them, made sure the accelerator pump worked, but when I put it all back together, there still wasn't any fuel getting through the carb. I took the accelerator pump discharge nozzle off and it seemed to have a little bit of gunk clogging up the openings. I cleaned it out and it works like a charm now. Earlier today I got the car running very well, but I look at the engine bay and it was spraying out a bunch of fuel from the line between the two bowls. It turned out that I split the little rubber washer/seal on the primary bowl and had to get some new ones. After that little setback, I started the car again. When I cut the fuel line so it would work with this carb, I must have split it further down because there was a puddle of gas underneath the car. I'll see what damage I did and try to fix it tomorrow. But at least I can get it started and keep it running.

Glad to see you made progress. You should get a hose cutter, they sell them at Lowes/Home Depot for like 10-20 dollars. Really handy with fuel line, make it super simple. :P

Glad to see you made progress. You should get a hose cutter, they sell them at Lowes/Home Depot for like 10-20 dollars. Really handy with fuel line, make it super simple. :P

I used a hose cutter, it worked fine. I think the line broke when I bent the line a little to get it in a position where I could cut it. The line was sitting barely a half an inch away from the intake so I couldn't get the cutter around it. I think it is broken closer to the fuel pump rather than close to where I cut.

I used a hose cutter, it worked fine. I think the line broke when I bent the line a little to get it in a position where I could cut it. The line was sitting barely a half an inch away from the intake so I couldn't get the cutter around it. I think it is broken closer to the fuel pump rather than close to where I cut.

<_< I fail. You are talking about a hard line aren't you? I thought you were talking about a soft fuel lines. Just look away from my stupidity and move on. :D

Edited by ModernS30

Justin got the car started Tuesday. Was running ok (a little rough) though. It just needs a little tlc and adjusting of the holley 600 we borrowed from the SBC build. After a few minutes of running it looks like the water pump blew. Water everywhere! What do you expect from a car that sat for 8 years? lol Minor setback though. We will replace what blew and have it running by the weekend. Hopefully post a video so you all can hear it running. Also we will try and get info and pics of the hydraulic clutch setup for you.

Edited by 240Z8_Dad

Just found out today that the car was bought by the previous owner 17 years ago in 1993. It had the 302/ 5-speed then. So we are dealing with a swap thats over 17 years old. We have already talked about redoing the motormounts sometime soon. We like the mount/crossmember at http://www.technoversions.com/MotorMatchHome.html, Most likely make our own from his plans. Got the new water pump today along with new thermostat and hoses. We shall put them on tomorrow.

When i put my 1988 5.0 in my 75 280Z i fabricated a crossmember similar to the JTR one but i built mine out of 1" schedule 40 pipe and made the lower center section so it can be removed to pull engine in and out with out having to remove the side pieces. My biggest challenge was fitting the oilpan around the datsun crossmember and steering shaft. machining the adapter for the driveshaft to diff was a bit of a challenge with the close tolerances around the outside diameter.

Have fun with it once you get it going, in case you are wondering you actually lost over 100 lbs of front end weight by getting rid of the original datsun engine, makes autocrossing a lot more fun.

post-4129-090797900 1291688865_thumb.jpg

post-4129-016308800 1291688912_thumb.jpg

post-4129-040920600 1291688957_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Mini update.

Got a full dash cap and headlight covers. Got the new water pump and thermostat on. Carburetor still has some problems.

I've pulled the carburetor off and apart multiple times and I still can't find out what's wrong with it. The gas still isn't coming out of the primary bowl. I've checked the jets, the accelerator pump, the accelerator pump discharge nozzle, and all of the passages inside the metering block and body, but nothing has fixed the problem. No gas comes out of the discharge nozzle when the pedal is pumped. I have no idea how it goes from not working, to working perfectly, to not working again... What else could be the problem? I can't get the car to stay running because of this stupid little thing...

Overall, the carb worked well before the water pump blew and it sat for a while. Other than that, I've only found a few more problems. I saw some rust on the driver's side floor and decided to give it a swift kick; from about 5 inches in front of the seat rail to the front of the floor pan is rusted through, as well as the front of the floor pan. That shouldn't be a hard fix. There is a rust hole about 5 inches square underneath the driver's seat. Only 2 small rust spots in the passenger floor. The exterior lights don't work on the car. I suspect the wiring is messed up. I'll probably need a new turn signal switch assembly; the lever for the turn signal was snapped when we got the car. The exhaust has a bad leak underneath the floors somewhere. When I had it running, exhaust was coming up through the floor. It'll get new exhaust soon enough, but it's still a problem now.

Hopefully we can get it running soon.

did you take apart the diaphragm on the bottom of the bowl, assuming its a holley, check the diaphragm and the little red umbrella valve in the bowl. the diaphragm is what squirts fuel into the venturi squirters. How long did it set for?? I have had mine sitting on a shelf for months and not had any problems, with and without fuel in the bowls. But then again, hooleys arent the best carbs anyway, i swore by them until i finally learned how easy it is to set and adjust the edelbrocks.

did you take apart the diaphragm on the bottom of the bowl, assuming its a holley, check the diaphragm and the little red umbrella valve in the bowl. the diaphragm is what squirts fuel into the venturi squirters. How long did it set for?? I have had mine sitting on a shelf for months and not had any problems, with and without fuel in the bowls. But then again, hooleys arent the best carbs anyway, i swore by them until i finally learned how easy it is to set and adjust the edelbrocks.

I feel like a total idiot... When I rebuilt it, I didn't put the little umbrella thing back inside the accelerator pump diaphragm. I didn't see it in the rebuild instructions so I didn't put it in, but I definitely remember taking one out. It only sat a month, that's why I was confused. I must have only imagined it working before. :lol: