HybridZ

Vtec in a 280

Dusto1002

Maybe this has been mentioned before, im not sure. Ive done a few searches but hadnt found this.

As we all know or should honda engines have swappable heads with a solenoid that shoots oil into the cam. (Vtec)

Heres my idea, with an oversized oil pan and dual oil lines, using the same solenoid (or maybe a larger one to accomodate the larger engine if available) and with a machined valve cover, is it possible to engineer the same principles into the 280?? of course youd need an ecu swap, but maybe using a stand alone fuel system you could program the solenoid to be controlled say in between 4000 to redline.. Is there a similar discussion or product that can be applied to this sort of set up? imagine the torque gain..... sorry i almost started drooling. :hail:

Good idea or no?

btw not a fan of most honda drivers, however honda has come up with a pretty ingenius idea, whether it was there idea first or not im not certain.

Edited by Dusto1002

From your post, it doesn't sound like you fully understand the concept of what Vtec is. I suggest that you do more research. And to answer your question, no, you'd basically have to fabricate a new head in order to have variable valve timing (what Vtec actually is) on a 280Z.

Also, I suggest you don't make blanket statements such as "not a fan of most Honda drivers."

Edited by Inferno 08

From your post, it doesn't sound like you fully understand the concept of what Vtec is. I suggest that you do more research. And to answer your question, no, you'd basically have to fabricate a new head in order to have variable valve timing (what Vtec actually is) on a 280).

Also, I suggest you don't make blanket statements such as "not a fan of most Honda drivers."

I didnt make a blanket statement, i said most. and most are pretty obnoxious.

and your right i actually meant machine a new head not valve cover, i accidentally put that. but i know its because of the head, i didnt take into account the VVT though

But with added oil shooting directly in, would it be necesary to have VVT? it would still make at least some extra torque without it.... right?

Ya i guess without a computer program specifically designed to the head you HAVE to have machined for your specific apllication, you wouldnt have but distinctively small gains, and just the computer programs to switch between timing for exhaust valves and intake would be a pretty penny huh? not to mention all the wiring problems and issues with finding someone to actually begin work on such a thing too.

Just too many loose ends. :mellow: i thought it was a good idea for a few minutes there too

maybe its just too early in the morning for me to be thinking LOL.

• Administrators

Don't get discouraged, the concept is great. We have discussions like this all the time on here, some wilder than others. Some have taken those wild ideas and built them, twin cam head for the L6 block is one example.

There has been discussion of a custom two-in one style camshafts for single cam applications, (I think it was the Viper that uses this, can't seem to find the thread right now), that allows phasing the intake and exhaust independently. Camshaft inside a camshaft design. Here is the Mechadyne info;

http://www.mechadyne-int.com/vva-products/concentric-camshafts

GM is using their version of single cam VVT in the LSx engines with good results here; (actually a, Variable Cam Timing, not so much Variable Valve Timing).

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?showtopic=72704

Adapting that to the L6 would be cool. Would the power gains be worth the effort, time, and expense? Most likely not but it would be a great educational engineering exercise for the person doing it and the end product would have some WOW factor. :wink:

swapping a s2000 drive train into the 260 would be by far the cheapest and easiest way to do it. but to further explain what vtec is so you understand its basically 2 different cam shafts residing on 1 cam shaft, this lets you have a cam profile thats good at low end and midrange for normal driving and then a high rpm horsepower cam when you stick your foot into it. the honda sohc vtec wasnt really about making more power or tq it was more of a economy set up and vtec was only on the intake side only, the dohc vtecs had vtec on both the intake and exhaust. now one common misconception is that vtec means more power but it doesnt your totally able to run the same cam profile on a non vtec motor as the high lobe profile is on the vtec motor and thus make the same power, the difference will be of course all most all cams that are designed to make better power in the upper rpm range have to sacrifice some low end power, thus why vtec is such a genius idea and now widely copied in many other makes and models.

Yeah, ECU and solenoid problems are the least of your worries. VTEC just uses oil pressure to switch cam profiles. Squirting oil in the head without another cam profile to use it will just... squirt oil in the head. The biggest problem with this is that the L head cannot accept another profile, and you would have to find a head that fits that already has VVT.

swapping a s2000 drive train into the 260 would be by far the cheapest and easiest way to do it. but to further explain what vtec is so you understand its basically 2 different cam shafts residing on 1 cam shaft, this lets you have a cam profile thats good at low end and midrange for normal driving and then a high rpm horsepower cam when you stick your foot into it. the honda sohc vtec wasnt really about making more power or tq it was more of a economy set up and vtec was only on the intake side only, the dohc vtecs had vtec on both the intake and exhaust. now one common misconception is that vtec means more power but it doesnt your totally able to run the same cam profile on a non vtec motor as the high lobe profile is on the vtec motor and thus make the same power, the difference will be of course all most all cams that are designed to make better power in the upper rpm range have to sacrifice some low end power, thus why vtec is such a genius idea and now widely copied in many other makes and models.

I think he was using vtec as a generic example of VVT. Also vtec is not a genius idea, when you can just have the big cams in the first place all the way around and control the intake cams to make up the power below the curve. (IE: vg30dett and vh45de) Like I said though, VVT and VCT are the real winners, where you can just run the big cams all the way around and use the VVT to make up the low end by decreasing overlap, IMHO......

(why is this in the fuel section?)

Edited by hoov100