HybridZ

Question on rear flare reduction and paint style

Sarx

Alright, so recently bought a 71 240z. I love all the custom work done on the car, but hate, hate hate my rear flares. So my question is, whats the cheapest way to reduce these flares. Could I have my paint guy shave them down, or would it look funny?

Another question. I've been looking at so many blues, and I really like darkish blues - Lexus blue, dodge patriot blue, etc. I really liked the Blue Oval Z's Blue, does anyone know PPG code?

Lastly, for color styling. I want to go one of two routes. Either I paint the car blue and paint certain parts glossy black - hood louvers, hatch louvers, BRE spoiler, and the rear light panel. Or I can paint it blue with white stripes, ala Blue Oval Z. I'm just worried the hood louvers will look funky with white stripes covering them. Anyone have opinions?

Thanks in advance!

post-13973-010683800 1291332146_thumb.jpg

post-13973-023795900 1291332222_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sarx

Yeah, the flares are rubbing a bit on the rear. Argh.

Lol, I wasn't finding too many that were striped, I guess that figures. Should I bother with the black highlighting? As much as I want to make it custom, and my own, I want a general appreciation for what it is, you know?

EDIT-

See the lip on the rear flare - it looks like a shadow in the picture, but it isnt. I wonder if I could solve the mounting issue if it was just cut from that point.

Edited by Sarx

Most cars I have seen with the black side stripes don't have the flares or black wheels. I was actually a little worried that all the color changing on the lower portion of the car it would look a little too busy, what with the flares, wheels, side skirts, and stripes.

If nothing else the stripes can be taken off very easily if you don't like them when you put them on. And they are only about $20 from MSA, so it is not a wallet killer if you want to experiment.

Good luck, keep the pictures coming!

I'll make sure to post pics when it's done! I'm going to tear it apart and paint everything... She has everything perfect except paint - I'm still in turbo goodness after-glow. Reasonably, I will have this car completely done by the 1st, but will give it some extra time to dry.

Definitely plan on blending the fender with the air dam! The car really needs a new paintjob, the pictures cannot capture just how far gone the paint is - peeling, rust under paint, etc. Now I'm looking for a new color - Probably Ferrari Red or Ford Royal Blue. Also will just cut the lip off of the rear flair.

• 3 weeks later...

wellll let me throw you off some more with blue again....my old flared 240z

ieduyr.jpg

Notice the side rockerpanels were painted black with a thin pinstrip above them...looked great to me

Also that car had the flares mounted too high...wouldve been fine with coilovers and camber plates, VERY low to the ground but i like where yours are ALOT better (no motor, interior, etc in the car in that pic btw so its reallly high, wasnt that bad when installed).

Edited by sticky280zx

Since you are asking for opinions, I will pitch in mine. If I was at your stage and ready to paint, I would choose one of the blue's as you mentioned over red and keep it all one solid color. I'm not hating on the stripe or red color options as I like them as well, only as previously memtioned stripes need to be done right to pull it off. If you are thinking more along the red camp, the new cadillac cts offers a nice red color in their pallet. It's strange how hard it can become to decide on colors when it comes time for paint.