HybridZ

The importance of proper grammer.

jasper

Those of us who fall into the world of hi-tech should take note

of the importance of correct grammar.

I have noticed that many who text messages & e-mail, have

forgotten the "art" of capitalization.

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack

off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Thank you for your cooperation. :P

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's about time that individual groups start to battle the dumbing down of the masses and condoning sloppy communication habits.

We've already drawn the line here, but unfortunately there are some that get away with it.

I think that ANY post that does not use capitalization or uses 'texting' grammar/formatting should be sent to the Tools forum and locked - Period. No reason necessary - let them figure it out if they can.

Same thing with those that don't put a proper title/description.

I think that the rules should encourage every user to notify admins of posts that do not meet the standards - some forums have a capability of 'report this post' which would be nice, but don't know if available with this software.

I wish there were more forums that would adopt the basics that we have here - I get tired of dealing with people that may appear to be more ignorant than they really are - or perhaps they really are...

But what do I know, I've only put myself through school raised a family, have a grandson and am still getting several Microsoft Certifications a year at 56.

I personally do not text and have told my carrier not to even send text or data to my phone - that's what computers are for (screens on phones are too tiny for my eyes) and I refuse to appear dumb/lazy in my communications. The occasional contraction or regionalism for effect is quite all right and makes communications a bit less dry.

Brad, there's a report button on the bottom left of every post. I would also agree with you on how lazy we have gotten in communication. If you ask me, if you don't have a handle on your first (and often only) language, you simply do not know how to communicate, and that is a pretty depressing thought. I haven't perfected the English language, but I put an effort in.

I find using SMS is difficult as the repetitive hitting of the button to properly spell words takes a while. I'm getting good at it, and I'm off to buy my first touchscreen phone tonight (Nokia Clone here in Shanghai...) so I can 'stylize' (use a stylus...) and use proper words in my SMS's. (Texts to the uninitiated.)

Yes, I spell out 'see you later' or 'see ya!' I do NOT use 'C U L8R'... Can't grasp its nuances. Don't want to grasp the nuances. QWERTY boards are becoming standard, use them. Even on the phone!

DAMNIT!

• 3 weeks later...