HybridZ

Wide body with all steel. No glass.

scottkell

I posted this in the fabrication topic and thought it might be better off here in body kits.

The question is, Does anyone here know of anyone who has seperated (cut loose) the rear quarter panels and moved them out for a wide body affect? I have looked everywhere on the net for this and cant find it. Maybe know one does it because of all of after market wide fiberglass fenders that are out there. I am wanting to widen a 260z without fiberglass. Any help would be appreciated.

B) Yes, you can do it. I have seen two Z's that have done it. All they did was cut along the body line without cutting it all the way off (fronts side only) and put in 2" or 3" worth of metal between the body lines to move it out. They did a real good job of welding it back together. I have one of their sites on one of the disc's I have with Z car info on it (need to find it). Looked a lot like the old California Z look (Jim Cook Racing Parts). Just take your time and do it right the first time around. How wide you want it, will be up to what you are looking for out of the Z (tire and rim size ?). I am getting ready to put on the IMSA bubble flairs and g-nose on a Z car I am rebuilding and I am looking at least a 12" wide rim on the back of it and 10" wide on the front. Don't know what size it will be just yet (16" or 17"), have to see what size tires I can get at the time. Good Luck with it and keep us informed on how it goes. Rich. ;)

• 2 years later...

I have started an all metal wide body rear mod. Fiberglass would probably be easier but I've been involved in the welding industry for more than 20 years so 'glass wasn't really an option. I like the Subtle Z look and really want to put some fat rubber to connect my LS1 to the ground but I don't really like the abrupt bump out at the back of the door. I started the transition about 6" in front of the door handle (shaved door handles are also on the menu). I am looking at adding 2" per side and transitioning back to the factory rear end.

post-33376-0-45797000-1367630581_thumb.jpg

post-33376-0-30594600-1367630713_thumb.jpg

post-33376-0-02174000-1367630803_thumb.jpg

post-33376-0-87873800-1367630868_thumb.jpg

post-33376-0-04776800-1367630933_thumb.jpg

post-33376-0-12593000-1367631283_thumb.jpg