HybridZ

Borg Warner EFR Turbocharger line

ShaggyZ

• 2 months later...

Really tried hard to get an EFR ordered for my car, but they are basically unobtainable. Most places are quoting a 4 to 8 month backorder. Quite a bit longer than I want to wait.

Looks like I'm going to end up buying a GT3071 with a 0.63 ar Ford T3 housing and use an ATP ultimate internal wastegate. Piecing this turbo together makes me realize how great a deal the EFR is. The garrett is going to be almost $1600 by the time I get the wastegate and actuator. And I'll still be short a BOV and boost solenoid. The 6758 is listed at around $1450 or so. Oh well. Should still end up with a great turbo for what I want out of my engine.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I know that this is an old post, but I'm curious if there has been any more experience with these turbos. I see that the new EFR 7163 seems to be a great turbo for the Subaru guys. Looks like the performance of the 7064, but a spool time closer to the 6758. What do you guys think about fitting that on an L28ET?

I have a EFR 7064 on my L28. I really like it. Wish I could go a little smaller on the exhaust side but all in all a great turbo. Snug fit but it works. Spools quick but I cant wait to install ported header and refreshed head.  I don't have much to compare it to I had a Garrett with a 1.06 exhaust previously.

• 11 months later...

The only thing I don't like about these turbos is the "Technical guide" kinda sucks as a technical document. Maybe i'm a picky engineer but.

What is the max EGT? 

What is the max turbine speed?

How much oil pressure?

What are all the tolerances for the bearings? 

What is the output signal of the speed sensor. 

For a 126 page document there is sure a lot of bullshit non-information. 

• 1 month later...

Jon from Full Race got me the answer. So FYI

-max EGT for the EFR turbos is 950C
-max turbine speed is rated in terms of "tip speed" and 560/ms.  The specific RPM that 560m/s tip speed occurs depends on the diameter of the specific compressor wheel in question. 
-oil pressure is regulated by the built in oil control orifice.  Pressure range is stated as 30-100psi. we've had motorcycle and ATV customer engines at 15-20psi oil pressure and no issue surprisingly.
-bearings are m50 races with ceramic balls in aluminum cages (silver plated).  Dimensional Tolerances are considered BW proprietary information and not shared outside of their internal engineering center.  
-most of the EFR compressor wheels have 14 blades which corresponds to 2917 Hz (except the 6758 which uses a 12 blade wheel)

• 1 month later...