HybridZ

timing on 260z

I rebuilt my motor about two months ago and thought that i lines up the timing marks on the cam and crank correctly but now i am questioning myself. The motor is back in the car and for the last month or so i've been chasing electrical problems. Now the car is turning over and i was going to install the spark plugs and wires. I turned the crank to get the number one piston to tdc but the timing mark on the hurmonic pully was not lined up with the timing register on the cover. Here are my three observations standing in front of the car:

number one piston tdc...first valve lob at 7:00 second valve lob at 5:00 rotor at 10:30 groove on pully at 10:00

OR

number one piston tdc...first valve lob at 1:00 second valve lob at 10:00 rotor at 3:30 groove on pully at 4:00

or

number one piston down about 3 inches...first valve lob at 9:00 second valve depressed lob at 6:00 rotor at 7:00 and the groove on at the timing mark

I installed new timing gears, chain, tensioner, and guides..the new chain had different colored links that were to line up on the gears timing marks (on the right side 42 links ) The final product looked like the picture in the manual page EM-24 fig EM-99

Where should the cams lob's and distributor's rotor be pointed ??

Is the first valve an intake or exhaust??

Sure could use some ideas here...i do not want to dismantle the motor again.

Thanks

You might have a bad damper or missing Woodruff key (the key that locks the damper to the crank, is it in there?). Apparently the rubber can go bad allowing the outer metal ring and pulley to slip.

#2 looks right for cam and crank alignment, both valves closed, piston at TDC. But the notch should be at zero on the timing mark.

You can look at the injector or intake runner to see which valves are intake. They are in line with the intake valve with the cam lobe directly above.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you newzed for your help. I started doing some digging when you referenced a " rubber " in the pulley.

That is the problem. I have located a company that can rebuild Hermonic balancers at a reasonable price and a good turnaround time. It is the "damperdoctor" at sales@damperdoctor.com