HybridZ

My 240 rb26 build

ZT-R

Hmm measuring crank rod journal... I/m getting 49.657mm.... Why the hell would this have +.25mm bearings when standard calls for min of 49.961mm and max size of 49.974mm. hmmmm.

49.961 + 49.974 / 2 = 49.9675

49.9675 - 49.657 = 0.3105, that's pretty close to 0.25mm

I wouldn't be relying too much on measuring a journal that rooted.

What other V8 would you be considering? I know alot of people think the LS motors are not "refined" enough but at the end of the day the reliability, availability and relatively large inexpensive aftermarket options make it an option worth considering.

Edited by CrayZ

How many miles/minutes/hours had that engine combination run? If it had the wrong tolerances upon assembly it would have failed on start up/ break in. I have watched that happen. So it seems to be an oiling issue. Did something plug the oil galley to that rod? 

Man I feel for you. You built/fabricated what most of us think of as a dream combination that we could never do because of knowledge, but also not financially. 

Wish you luck and would love to see you fix the problem and beat the gremlin....

MY VOTE,..... rebuild. We can make it stronger/faster/meaner!!

I wouldnt think it would get any better the a R.I.P.S. build. Everything is out now, so its no longer a rips  :( Anyone can assemble them, but not to his specs and attention to detail, Although I think i will debur the inside of this block, its ugly and quiet scary looking.
The number one piston is out of round by 8 thousandths. and the crank is egged. So for sure needs a new crank and rod.
Anyway, more disassembly pics.
9386364494_f24d348749_b.jpg
9386367866_e26b6d7d56_b.jpg
9386370446_26897ba032_b.jpg

9383595285_5f1d7c5282_b.jpg
9386374994_b86b841403_b.jpg

9383599745_1fd673ec1d_b.jpg
9386379730_98b7b45846_b.jpg
9386381850_049c60b9f1_b.jpg
9386383942_f02602b673_b.jpg

9383610619_a70243bb6a_b.jpg

How many miles/minutes/hours had that engine combination run? If it had the wrong tolerances upon assembly it would have failed on start up/ break in. I have watched that happen. So it seems to be an oiling issue. Did something plug the oil galley to that rod? 

Man I feel for you. You built/fabricated what most of us think of as a dream combination that we could never do because of knowledge, but also not financially. 

Wish you luck and would love to see you fix the problem and beat the gremlin....

MY VOTE,..... rebuild. We can make it stronger/faster/meaner!!

1700 -2000 miles I have to gustimate cause my speedo wasnt working for a little bit. But def not more than 2000. 

Going to make the leap here....guessin' many people who have followed your build are thinking about using Robbie for their bullet.  The main reason that holds me back is just a issue like this.  What do you do if your engine builder is on the other side of the planet and you have a problem??  If memory serves me, you bought a RIPS shortblock and built your own head and did all of the assembly.  Now part failure happens.....have you come up with a solid answer as to what  and who is to blame??? 

Last time I was in contact with Robbie he said he had no plans for a US distributor. 

If you are to go RB again would you buy a complete, dyno broke-in, and ready to go package??  It will cost more, but how much?? and with the peace of mind a tested engine gives, it maybe worth it. 

Again, sorry for your loss.

B&G

If i were to to this again i would buy an OS RB30. They use the rb26 n1 block and make it a rb30 but adding a deck plate and new billet crank and all that bs. Keep the oil squirters and rigidity of the rb26 block. Its more expensive but you get a nice crank too. Also something to look at is the Nitto RB32 stroker. Depends what you want though, if you want top end power rb26 with a big ass turbo is fine. I didnt want a high reving top powerband engine. I wanted more torque.

So you are not going to use Robbie?? Can those other engines be purchased/serviced in the US?

Drivability/torque/reliability are my wish list. I want to buy (1) bullet and not have to worry about it.

Main uses for my car are occasional cruise, track day/drag race, and making lots of noise to annoy my cranky neighbors.

If you are ever able to get a positive reason for your failure please post it, no matter who/what is to blame. May save other people from making the same mistake.

Good luck.

B&G