HybridZ

The end of a lady (s130z)

Supamandatsun

So i bought my s130z in my April 2010.  I loved it, i could barely drive stick, so i had my dad drive it home as i followed him.  Once i saw that sexy rear end with the louvers go around a corner, i nearly jizzed.  It looked like a Delorean, cause the ZX was so low to the ground.   It was an NA 5spd from 1979, with some surface rust and a few holes.  I payed $1750 for it,  it also had 114,000 miles.   Price was a bit high, but i was happy. 

I slowly had the car upgraded with new maintenance parts, but it's not worth mentioning. I drove her everyday, she chugged around everywhere.  

Anyways I crashed her one day going around a bend in the rain.  This happened in early October 2010. The rear end slid out , and i oversteered into a telephone pole.  Thankfully this was only at 20-25mph.  I brought her home, and with no money, left her there to sit.  I worked to save the money for new body parts and labor.  Finally, early December, last Sunday actually, I got her repaired.  That cost me $360 in labor and $200 in parts.  She was good enough to be streetable.  I was overjoyed, and i blasted The Shrangi-Las on  my radio that day.

This Tuesday morning, however, I was inching out to make a left from my street onto a main road.   Cars are slowly making there way by, there is sleet on the road.  There is also poor visibility, thanks to a deli with parked cars in front blocking the view of the oncoming lane.  When suddenly a Saab 9-3 going like 30mph slams into my fender.  My car spins around violently as it was absorbing the hit.  Her car had a minor dented fender.  My whole left fender side was destroyed.  The tire was almost sideways.  I felt horrible, in a split second my car was obliterated.  The Saab driver, middle aged female,  was very calm( hmmm) and drove her car home after the police filed a report.  The Officer said i was at fault, for not yielding.  I had asked the officer after, if i could just drive my car backwards home, he said "no, look at the wheel".   I had to pay $75 dollars just to get my car towed home, which was literally 15 houses down.  Now again, my baby sits in my driveway, only this time worse.  Of course the engine turns on like always. :D   

I'll post all the pics  and damage you'd expect here sooon.  This picture, was the original condition of the car, i changed bumpers afterwards in summer.

Thank you 240z people! Got me 280ZX parts quick!

post-11218-015281700 1292339064_thumb.jpeg

That's true, but I'm so broke. I'm a student who works at a supermarket.   I immediately thought of finding a parts car 280zx and transferring my goodies over.  And so the search begins!

How far are you from South Philly? I have a couple of ZXs in my garage. Give me a call 215-880-9557

Vinh

Eh like 2 hours. I'll call ya friday, I'm being slaughtered by finals right now. I also have an urge to repair/pull the unibody frame myself like the Devil Z but mainly because the rust was minimal and don't wana throw away the car.

Oh and those are later model bumpers sprayed that i bought off a 240z guy. The car got a lot less looks with the newer bumpers, i guess it made it look more modern. In the crash pic, you see the original bumper sprayed. The updated bumper was destroyed in the first accident, i put the original ones back on in time for the second accident.

I could try driving/flying down south during the summer, but I'll be aiming for a 240z/260z first:P. Right now VinHZXT said he could hook me up with a running car. That's all i need, well.. you know what i mean. Oh and i tried starting it up. NOPE! The fan doesn't spin, i hear electrical clicking noises(ignition?), and fumes coming from the exhaust manifold gasket. The engine sputters and wont stay up without gas. I stopped quickly then, oil pump is probably not working either.

PS: A brief video of my car, enjoy.

Edited by Supamandatsun

• 3 weeks later...

Hey just a little update, so i'm going to get a professional collision guy give us an estimate. My uncle said it should cost around $500 for the repair. I'm more than a little skeptical but he had done a great job on repairing my mom's minivan (also t-boned). Course that had cost $2000... I've been saving up anyhow and looked at old Mr2s and e30s but i really want a first gen or 2nd Z.

I've spent so much in my beat up car , that's why I'm so hesitant t to spend more on it. Here are a few numbers

2010 April: $1750 fine running 280zx

$290 in upgrade/maintenance bits

$500 in exhaust manifold leak job that developed after curbing the car

2010 October telephone pole accident: TOTAL: $595

So yep around $1400 already spent on it.

Do yall think I can flip this car for a small profit? Maybe like 4-5k after a nice paintjob and wheels? I think they're worth a good penny in this rust hell known as NJ. Oh and yes i'm still hungry for a 240Z. I want one to buy one somewhere south, not too farrr. And fly there and drive 'er home. :) Hook me up..

• 3 weeks later...

doubt you will make much if any, especially since a good paint job is going to be 2-3k so that would definitely put you way over the mark. These cars arent for "flipping" as there arent enough people that want them/they just arent worth it. Not to mention you are young, obviouly not the greatest driver, and prolly ragged on the car when it was running....so there arent many positives note the 2 wrecks it has been in (in less than a year, probably even less "running" time). Just sell the parts and get a honda like everyother kid, youll get better gas milage, and more room, and a huge aftermarket for parts.

• 3 weeks later...

You're absolutely right, hell i should have just bought a camry and moved on. I plan on selling the car as a heap and maybe keeping the seats for another car, which leads up this find;

I found a 73 240z , needs the following:

seats, center console, rear lights, carpeting, and reassembly of the included engine accessory stuff (carbs, waterpump, oil pump).

Guy stopped dissembling the car when he was called to Iraq. Body is exceptional for a NJ car, least for the asking price of $500.

Good idea? I have the time and money.

post-11218-076462600 1299476282_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...