HybridZ

Starter Shimming

jacob80

Hey guys,

For those of you who have experience in starting shimming, I need help.

Since I've rebuilt my L28ET and transmission, I've been having trouble with multiple starters and they all have the same symptom.

"click"

This click is not from a dead battery or a bad starter, it is something else, and I believe this has to do with my starter being too close to the flywheel teeth and just knocking the surface of the flywheel without spinning.

Here is what happens:

I turn the key, "click". I just start clicking away, sometimes very rapidly, sometimes it only takes a couple attempts, but it eventually always starts. I drove myself crazy and did everything in my power to verify that no other factors were causing this. Tested the starters, checked electrical wiring, installed a starter relay (two different ones, I must add), and this problems continues to linger.

Like I said, my thought is that when i installed my Fidanza aluminum flywheel, the dimensions of the relation of the starter to the flywheel may have changed a little due to the fact that it is not a stock flywheel. This may or may not be true, but I believe that shimming the starter will cure my problem.

Now, my question(s): I have some .004" stainless steel sheeting I could use to cut some shimming washers out of to slide over the bolts, or I've seen actual starter shims you can purchase at auto parts stores. What route should I take here? What is a good starting thickness for a shim?

Thanks guys, your help is always appreciated!

Edited by jacob80

Sounds like a bad electrical connection to me.

Check your wires, they might be corroded up the terminal.

Have your battery tested.

Make sure the ground wire that goes to the starter isn't on a painted surface.

Check the stud where the positive goes that it is tight and free of corrosion.

I'm pretty sure you shouldn't have to shim starters on Ls.

The battery is fine, 13+ volts at any time. I've NEVER had a sluggish start, it either clicks or it starts. I have had the same symptom on two different starters and I've installed a starter relay and checked all power connections and voltage at the starter and everything appears fine.

I have the same exact problem on my 260Z. It is an electrical problem, not enough voltage is getting to the solenoid. Get your DVOM out and measure the voltage to the solenoid when it clicks. From my research, I believe the solenoid needs at least 9V to activate the starter. Because of old, corroded wiring connections, the voltage drop is large and the solenoid does not get the voltage it needs. Follow Mario's advice and check and clean all connections.

Quick test, if you jump the solenoid, does it turn over every time?

• 1 month later...

I have somewhat the same problem, when i try and start the car all you hear is the gear on the stater grind against the flywheel, i rebuilt my engine, the block was an auto tranny block, but my car is a 78 5speed, don't know if that makes a difference at all, my connections are brand new, battery is brand new as well, i am currently on my 4th auto zone starter, and this is driving me up the wall.

... i forgot to add that the flywheel i am using is the original.

Edited by 83zed owner

• 6 months later...