HybridZ

SC'd LD28 one step closer

ezzzzzzz

I finally got the intake system worked out...almost. I still have to machine the spacer between the aftercooler and supercharger and sort out the belt drive system. The engine is a LD28 block and V07 crank mated to a P90A head and uses JE pistons and L20B rods for a displacement just over 2.8 liters. After all the time and money spent on an old chunk of L6 iron I keep hearing the "I shoulda had a V8" juice commercial in my head.

post-881-006538600 1292537585_thumb.jpg

post-881-048479900 1292537598_thumb.jpg

post-881-010957200 1292537609_thumb.jpg

post-881-092466000 1292537619_thumb.jpg

post-881-070519200 1292537628_thumb.jpg

post-881-033742500 1292537640_thumb.jpg

post-881-098437500 1292537648_thumb.jpg

post-881-064165600 1292537662_thumb.jpg

I finally got the intake system worked out...almost. I still have to machine the spacer between the aftercooler and supercharger and sort out the belt drive system. The engine is a LD28 block and V07 crank mated to a P90A head and uses JE pistons and L20B rods for a displacement just over 2.8 liters. After all the time and money spent on an old chunk of L6 iron I keep hearing the "I shoulda had a V8" juice commercial in my head.

Pretty cool.

Is it going to be a diesel?

"I shoulda had a V8" juice commercial in my head.

Yea but anyone can do that. It takes a real idiot.. I mean genius to make their own intake manifold.

The bottom line is every time you open the hood you'll know it was worth it. At lest that's how it is with me.

Great fab work.

Derek

I haven't fitted it under the hood as my 240Z is fully functional right now. You can't tell from the pictures but the plenum actually tilts downward about seven degrees to account for the engine lean. That lets the SC sit flat and looks better too. I'll slap it on the long block tomorrow or Saturday and take a couple more pictures. There were numerous measurements taken to ensure clearance at the strut tower and under the PDK strut bars. It sits below the valve cover height and strut bar so hood clearance is a non issue. I decided to build the intake in two pieces so the runner and header hardware would be easily accessed. It weighs quite a bit despite being aluminum. An adjustable brace will come up from the a/c compressor bracket to support the outer edge weight and provide additional stability. I'll have to work out cold air ducting.

Edited by ezzzzzzz

Very nice job!

It looks like you've mounted the SC low enough to avoid any hood clearance issues - The real clearance challenge is the SC snout towards the front of the hood (basically the front pulley).

As far as the drive pulley - I had worked with BHJ to build a custom serpentine pulley and it may work for you as well if you've designed your system to mount the serpentine pulley on the front of the damper.

You can call them http://www.bhjdynamics.com/ and ask about the 6 rib serpentine pulley that fits on this pulley http://www.bhjdynami...products_id=131 that they did for me - Ken Jones

I sold my supercharger system and it's now in Japan, but here's some pics from the gentlemen who bought it from me after he installed it on his motor in case you'd like to see it for some "ideas":

post-154-067854900 1292552237_thumb.jpg

post-154-050846600 1292552233_thumb.jpg

post-154-062311700 1292552228_thumb.jpg

Edited by kjones

My photos don't show it well but the damper is a two row v-belt off a later 280Z. It was chocked in a lathe and cleaned up on the inside to accept an aluminum insert and allow clearance for the bolt/washer. It's just shy of an interference fit. The plug is held in place with 6 countersunk 8mm socket heads. A GM power steering pulley was modified to fit the pulley lip and sit flush against the outer v-belt flange. The heavy ring clamps the pulley snug. It's modest in ratio providing about 6 psi to get started with. I looked at the BHJ damper but decided to save the cash (at least for the moment). I'll be turning the M62, a/c compressor and alternator. The possibility of power steering also exist as I have a STI PS rack I modified months ago and place back on the shelf.

I've followed every thread regarding supercharging and always admired your setup as well as other's designs. My SC sits forward since the snout is only 8" long. The tensioner will take a little creativity. The biggest hurdle now is clearance for the serpentine belt to clear the fan/shrould. I'm thinking I'll be dropping the engine mounts about .375" (to accomodate the .75" taller LD block) and move it back .5" to provide added space up front. The WC T5 shifter (Pro 5.0) can be modified to recenter it in the console. The transmission mount and the diff will likely need shifting to get u-joint angles satisfactory. One step at a time....

My photos don't show it well but the damper is a two row v-belt off a later 280Z. It was chocked in a lathe and cleaned up on the inside to accept an aluminum insert and allow clearance for the bolt/washer. It's just shy of an interference fit. The plug is held in place with 6 countersunk 8mm socket heads. A GM power steering pulley was modified to fit the pulley lip and sit flush against the outer v-belt flange. The heavy ring clamps the pulley snug. It's modest in ratio providing about 6 psi to get started with. I looked at the BHJ damper but decided to save the cash (at least for the moment). I'll be turning the M62, a/c compressor and alternator. The possibility of power steering also exist as I have a STI PS rack I modified months ago and place back on the shelf.

I've followed every thread regarding supercharging and always admired your setup as well as other's designs. My SC sits forward since the snout is only 8" long. The tensioner will take a little creativity. The biggest hurdle now is clearance for the serpentine belt to clear the fan/shrould. I'm thinking I'll be dropping the engine mounts about .375" (to accomodate the .75" taller LD block) and move it back .5" to provide added space up front. The WC T5 shifter (Pro 5.0) can be modified to recenter it in the console. The transmission mount and the diff will likely need shifting to get u-joint angles satisfactory. One step at a time....

I have a bunch of old pulleys and even a prototype serpentine setup that bolts to the 280zx damper that I'd sell cheap! I think you could put them to good use! BTW with the 6.75" inch drive pulley I was able to get to 13.5 psi of boost out of the MP62 - although I was pushing it. With your after cooler you should do really well! I also started to experiment with a couple different cams - Schneider has the specs on the last one they did for me (I have misplaced the cam card sorry) - might be worth calling them to pick their brain - don't go with a real radical cam! Mine had hardly any vacuum and it was a total PIA! We got it right the second time, so learn from my trial and error LOL...

Check your hood clearance at the end of the SC! As the hood curves down that's the tight spot - mine didn't clear, but a cowl hood worked fine

Talk to me about the spare bits you have, Ken.

I had Isky grind a custom cam based on my engine specs and power goals (275-300hp). He took into consideration that it was for a roots style blower, not a turbo. I was specific that this was to be a street car with good manners and longivity in mind. It isn't a monster profile but should provide spirited performance and excellent drivability. Lots of usable torque right off idle. The cam card is somewhere amongst piles of paperwork and receipts. I can't recall lift or duration right now. It's the asymetrical ramp profile and centerline that makes the difference.

In the early eighties I owned a 73 Z-28 RS rock crusher 4 -speed with a full tilt motor LT1. Idled at 1200 rpms pulling 8 inches of vacuum. It was a ***** to drive in heavy traffic but gawd was that car fast! I used to go hunting for the new Corvettes and Mustangs with a gleem in my eye. One of my biggest regrets ever was selling it.

• 3 months later...

Talk to me about the spare bits you have, Ken.

I had Isky grind a custom cam based on my engine specs and power goals (275-300hp). He took into consideration that it was for a roots style blower, not a turbo. I was specific that this was to be a street car with good manners and longivity in mind. It isn't a monster profile but should provide spirited performance and excellent drivability. Lots of usable torque right off idle. The cam card is somewhere amongst piles of paperwork and receipts. I can't recall lift or duration right now. It's the asymetrical ramp profile and centerline that makes the difference.

In the early eighties I owned a 73 Z-28 RS rock crusher 4 -speed with a full tilt motor LT1. Idled at 1200 rpms pulling 8 inches of vacuum. It was a ***** to drive in heavy traffic but gawd was that car fast! I used to go hunting for the new Corvettes and Mustangs with a gleem in my eye. One of my biggest regrets ever was selling it.

Hey - digging up an old post - I have been cleaning up my garage (I finally sold my 240Z and can now concentrate solely on my 280z)...

I found a box of pulleys and all sorts of odds and ends that I used in various iterations of my old SC setup

PM me if you're interested... I'd let the whole box go real cheap - I know we discussed it before, but the box disappeared in my garage and emerged yesterday!