HybridZ

Luna: The cause of, and solution to, all of my problems

Hey, thanks guys!

I appreciate that. And I'm glad you're enjoying the progress. I sure am.

UPDATE:

Wideband O2 sensor arrived.

Innovate LC-1

photobucket-23384-1366932105688_zps60be9

Also opted for the digital gauge, blacked out when not powered, blue LED when on.

photobucket-35958-1366947151591_zps5e5d0

photobucket-36080-1366947168731_zps3fb09

And currently, as I acquire the last remaining parts I need, I am labeling all of my wires, and figuring out the cleanest route when I wire the engine.

photobucket-26725-1366947187182_zps4cdd7

I need to take my downpipe off one more time, now that I have measured for placement, and weld the wideband O2 bung roughly 2.5 feet from the turbo, near the end of the downpipe.

That will most likely happen tomorrow night.

Ordered and on the way:

GM intake air temp sensor with pigtail
GM CLT temp sensor with pigtail
Dell Inspirion 910 mini notebook (refurbished)
DB9 Tuning cable (and DB9->usb adapter)

more to come.

Edited by OldAndyAndTheSea

UPDATE:

Nothing crazy cool, but I unbolted my downpipe and welded the wideband O2 sensor bung roughly 2 1/4 feet from the turbo.

Before:

photobucket-20987-1367031944023_zpsa6241

After:

photobucket-25281-1367031958506_zps39d9f

And I still have to calibrate my wideband so I wont screw it into the exhaust until I do so, but I just did this to show how it fits.

The slight angle routes the wires right along the transmission tunnel and over the transmission that will lead to the glove box on the passenger side, where the ECU will be mouted.

photobucket-5117-1367031884443_zps1e4b02

photobucket-12368-1367031901325_zps08fdd

Ugh, the weekend......Looks like no parts til next week.

More to come...

Great job Andy!!  Keep at it, I am close like you.Think I have finished the suspension last night. I am onto wiring now of the ecu.

I see that you ran the coolant line through the throttle body. What did you route the return through? I couldnt see from the pictures. Do you think this is necessary?

Yep, I am running just that one piece of hose leading to the throttle body. No return. Just tapped, and plugged.

Mainly because I live in a pretty potentially cold climate. I figure, I may have some better initial cold weather driving if the throttle body was heated. Maybe, maybe not. Haha. Figured it couldn't hurt.

If for some reason it doesn't work out, or it appears unnecessary, I'll just remove it.

For Florida, I don't think you'll have to worry about anything. Just run the tb with no lines attached. Most warm climate guys I know do.

Another mad boring update.

Sorry, I've been working constantly.

But I got the old Ford truck I'm working on fired up! Nice to hear the 360 breathe a little bit.

But as for the Z...

Transmission Fluid arrived

photobucket-49724-1367858332036_zps0e238

And I've been slowly wiring the engine bay, while I wait for a steady stream of parts.

Thermostat housing with all the various sensors is complete. And my thermostatic switch for my electric cooling fan is wired. Everything is soldered and shrink wrapped.

photobucket-48000-1367882818754_zpscb062

Most everything is labeled, and I am figuring out the best, and cleanest way to route the wiring. Below is preliminary wideband routing.

photobucket-31095-1367882782864_zps0ad5d

Work continues....Slowly.....

• 2 weeks later...

These last few pieces are KILLING me.

Still chipping away at it. I want to hear my exhaust so bad now....But I keep telling myself...

"soon enough.....soon enough"

Plug wires and my valve cover breather arrived today.

Taylor Thundervolt 10.4mm spark plug wires. Monster diameter. I had used a couple sets of the Hi Pro 8mm wires in the past, and I HATED them. Quality was poor. These are wonderful. It was either these or Magnecore. I'm happy.

photobucket-56464-1368829744071_zps14cd3

photobucket-37739-1368829776672_zpsa9f25

photobucket-50643-1368830242602_zps9826f

I'm owed around a grand for some work. So TECHNICALLY, I have more than enough money to make the car run again.....However getting paid......Now that's a whole other story entirely..... B)

Looks great! I'm thinking black silicone couplers would look a bit better than blue, though... ;)

Thanks Leon!

And yeah, you have NO idea. I HATE looking at those damn couplers. Haha. My end goal is definitely black. I just got all of the couplers there at a steal of a deal for around a dollar a piece. Even the 90s. 

Of course......they HAD to be blue..... :banghead:

Thats the FIRST thing I plan to change once the car fires...Spend 100 bucks and buy black replacements.

I can't justify it just yet. :D

Thanks Leon!

And yeah, you have NO idea. I HATE looking at those damn couplers. Haha. My end goal is definitely black. I just got all of the couplers there at a steal of a deal for around a dollar a piece. Even the 90s. 

Of course......they HAD to be blue..... :banghead:

Thats the FIRST thing I plan to change once the car fires...Spend 100 bucks and buy black replacements.

I can't justify it just yet. :D

Nice! You can always paint the blue ones black... :lol:

Uh oh....Trouble in paradise. At least for the moment....

Accidently arced 12 volts from my headlight switch to ground on the steering column. After that I am now getting no power to my fuse box. If my fuse box gets 12 volts luckily, everything still works. So at least I didn't fry my switches!

it'll be something small.

Continuity checks out. Fusible link is good. Looks like I have some investigating to do....ugh.

More to come.

Just started watching your thread- very nice.

I would go for a BW 5 speed myself. There might be closer ratios, but the choice of shifters is fantastic. You will love that trans with a pro-shifter-very tight and positive . Of course the driveshaft is different, but you could have one made.

Also looking forward to your megasquirt endeavour since I am doing the same thing. Researching my MS purchase presently.

Project looks good

Just started watching your thread- very nice.

I would go for a BW 5 speed myself. There might be closer ratios, but the choice of shifters is fantastic. You will love that trans with a pro-shifter-very tight and positive . Of course the driveshaft is different, but you could have one made.

Also looking forward to your megasquirt endeavour since I am doing the same thing. Researching my MS purchase presently.

Project looks good

Thanks!

Yeah, the BW t5 will always be a potential option later on...that, or the KA transmission. If for some reason my power exceeds the transmission. I'll be a proud man the day that happens :)

As for progress on my electrical problem...

Fixed it!

This was one of the wires I found and replaced. Now I've got power at the fuse box. But the main problem was the outgoing wire from the automotive circuit breaker I installed last year inside the cabin. The connection was fried, and I was reading some continuity and 12v at the post, but not on the wire. I missed it the first time.

But anyways...I did some wiring clean up, and everything in the car works once more. Phew!

photobucket-48825-1369010588636_zpsfe0a5

Also wired up the light to my boost gauge. Good luck getting a picture. Haha.

Once my 1/8 npt -> 5/32 fitting arrives, I'll install my new, non broken, boost gauge for good.

Then I wire my wideband! and hopefully calibrate it as well.

One step back. and two steps forward!

More random odds and ends.

My 1/8" npt - 5/32 hose barb arrived. So I was able to finish up my boost gauge.

photobucket-6909-1369259377751_zps01158b

photobucket-7664-1369258399463_zps76386b

And I routed the vacuum hoses for my boost gauge, and my MAP sensor on Megasquirt through the firewall. Pretty tidy. Can't complain.

photobucket-1266-1369258427163_zps96d0c7

I'm working hard to finish it up.

Soon...

Where are you putting your boost gauge? On the pillar?

I was thinking of making another gauge hole in the dash. I will let you know how it works out. I am taking the clock out and putting in a air/fuel gauge. i want to put the boost gauge in a hole between the tachometer and the first gauge. My dad says you can just form it out of foam or fiberglass or bondo to look like the stock gauge holes.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good Andy. Can't wait to see yours running. You mind telling me where you sourced your exhaust piping? Jegs? I'm looking to do pretty much the exact same set up. MSA down pipe, adapter and 3" back to the muffler. Also, just because I'm too lazy to measure, what length straight pipe did you order?