HybridZ

Luna: The cause of, and solution to, all of my problems

Instead of working this weekend, like a good boy, I neglected my car duties and made a 10' tall snowman. The snow was perfect. We are expecting feet of snow this week, so that should make it look like he's been there for ages.

I still need to fashion him some arms, but here he is keeping watch over the road.

Meet SnowmAndy

IMG_20160118_170655682_zpspxoktgjc.jpg

IMG_20160118_170701335_zpsrzaznfsp.jpg

IMG_20160118_170706313_zpswfdhrgai.jpg

IMG_20160118_170711864_zpsgfltdthf.jpg

IMG_20160118_170719064_zps29hdhvue.jpg

And that's that... :P

Clamshell progress. First real step forward with these to date.

After some fine trimming, I finally got the two halves to orient, and locate, fairly well together.

I used some foam core to pull the sides together.

IMG_20160118_130953909_HDR_zpsslovihrf.j

IMG_20160118_131011787_HDR_zpsfeew5hai.j

IMG_20160118_135023871_zps8e992rdc.jpg

I then cut the core at the part's seam.

IMG_20160118_141644755_zps5gvaea7i.jpg

Whoa, they still want to line up. Straight up miracle status.

IMG_20160118_144748705_HDR_zpssecqtgou.j

IMG_20160118_144922448_zpsihwxefud.jpg

IMG_20160118_144915877_zpsgsqkampb.jpg

IMG_20160118_145122473_zpsoyifgdbl.jpg

IMG_20160118_145132300_zpsz4kyvmi1.jpg

Good enough for the girls I go with.

The last step is to experiment with magnets, or possibly Velcro, to actually attach the pieces together. There is a fastener that holds the bottom section to the ignition switch, so I just need a way to join them together.

I'm hopeful with the result so far. Definitely the farthest I've gotten.

And yeah....

Sand sand sand. Smooth smooth smooth.

IMG_20160118_110646812_zpselifarkj.jpg

Edited by OldAndyAndTheSea

Instead of working this weekend, like a good boy, I neglected my car duties and made a 10' tall snowman. The snow was perfect. We are expecting feet of snow this week, so that should make it look like he's been there for ages.

I still need to fashion him some arms, but here he is keeping watch over the road.

Meet SnowmAndy

Oh come on now, just some arms? We have become accustomed to anything and everything carbon fiber, so arms, a top hat, nose and eyes in carbon are a minimum!!!

Loving all the progress !!!

Edited by Nelsonian

Oh come on now, just some arms? We have become accustomed to anything and everything carbon fiber, so arms, a top hat, nose and eyes in carbon are a minimum!!!

Loving all the progress !!!

Bwhahahaha! I may cut some carbon circles out and use those as eyes. :D

Thank you good Sir!

Magnetic strip tape: Fail

Velcro strip tape: WINNAR!

Velcro to the rescue. The concept works. Awesome!

The future clamshells will be cored, during production, to fine tune the Velcro mating surface.

Proof of concept. Thrown together.

IMG_20160119_130333622_zps3eepnt2p.jpg

IMG_20160119_130350375_zpsmwwjsnyu.jpg

IMG_20160119_125820134_zpskkyuyepl.jpg

IMG_20160119_125852456_zpspyevjcld.jpg

I'll add a couple more areas of Velcro to close up any remaining, offensive, gaps.

Shaky shaky! An added benefit of Velcro over magnets is vibration resistance. Sweet!

http://vid524.photobucket.com/albums/cc327/twofortyz/Mobile%20Uploads/VID_20160119_130139257_zpsevijlaim.mp4

And I received my steering wheel hub today. Lots more stuff coming throughout the week.

IMG_20160119_200227918_zpsmcghnrkl.jpg

Low profile - I personally hate the look of the cheaper hubs, with that corrugated, accordion-esque, slip cover.

No bolts though....Booo.....c'mon NRG!

IMG_20160119_200254693_zpsikyqal4h.jpg

It's cold....I don't wanna work out in the garage.. :D

Looks great! When did NRG come out with a hub adapter? I had to have someone modify a MOMO piece to place the wheel comfortably with a quick release...

Either way, looks like you will have more gauge clearance!

Thanks!

And I dunno. After reading your comment I freaked out a little and quickly ran outside, through two feet of snow, to confirm it fits.

It does. Phew!

I really want to button the interior back up. But I must give the dash, and subsequent prep work, time.

And here's the amazon link. Sounds like it was designed for a similar purpose as you intended. I'm opting against a quick release, at the moment, and cared more about reach distance, as I have fairly long arms.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UNGX0YY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Bunch of random updates...

Making the mold for the door sills...Plug - in surface coat.

IMG_20160122_151149740_HDR_zpsmxiglev3.j

...And making some combination molds to allow for batches of our smaller parts. Now we can be four times as disappointed at once! :D :D

IMG_20160122_151137462_zpslnp9sx2r.jpg

IMG_20160122_155348282_HDR_zpsqatpernv.j

It's been exactly two weeks since I flocked the dash. I was finally confident enough to bring it into the shop, to snap some better pictures. Because, I Leica you.  Once again, gauges mocked hardcore; not even near where they will finally mount.

240z%20dash%20flocked%20top_zpsjme2xdea.

240z%20dash%20side_zpsbuqt4b8d.jpg

240z%20dash%20Flocking%20top_zpshoucvu8h

240z%20dash%20flocked%20perspective_zpsa

240z%20dash%20flockedd_zps2zciewoz.jpg

I also shot an impromptu GoPro video trying to truly capture the appearance, as my pictures still fall very short of the mark....

This helps quite a bit. Apologies for the audio hiccups. Like I said, this was really off the cuff.... No mic, or planning, was used.

first thing, it looks bitchin'.

the flocking, as you said it did, looks like smooth velvet.  very nice job.  everything else looks great too.   hell, I wish I had a first gen body and 5000$ just so I could pay you to make me one of everything...

with that done, the rear done, the front pretty much done (I think) and the engine running well enough, what have you got left to do before you can put it all together and drive it out (not in winter obviously)?

first thing, it looks bitchin'.

the flocking, as you said it did, looks like smooth velvet.  very nice job.  everything else looks great too.   hell, I wish I had a first gen body and 5000$ just so I could pay you to make me one of everything...

with that done, the rear done, the front pretty much done (I think) and the engine running well enough, what have you got left to do before you can put it all together and drive it out (not in winter obviously)?

Truly kind words, thank you very much.

And the short list until it is driving is this.

-Replumb the fuel line, and pre pump filter system with a more refined solution.

-Order z31 CV boots (any recommendations would be appreciated) and rebuild those.

-Install CVs

-Reroute (hopefully) the dash harness, so the dash can be removed independently of the harness - Extend gauge pigtails, and make any modifications due to gauge changes.

-Investigate LED options for AutoMeter gauge bulbs (again suggestions are greatly appreciated) looking for a soft white.

-Install dash

-Modify a universal 3 pod A pillar to fit the car - flock that.

-Set suspension

-Bleed hydraulic systems - confirm no leaks

-Double,and triple check connections, and bolt torques

-Start and run the engine again

Aside: I haven't run it since..uhh....September? And I've always run it briefly whenever I've had it going. I was dealing with a lean idle, which after admittedly only a couple tests, was unaffected by changes in my required fuel in Tuner Studio. After confirming fuel pressure, and after I replumb the rear fuel lines, this leads me to believe that my unknown condition injectors, or possibly one of them is bad, clogged, or damaged. But until I finish up the dash stuff I wont do engine investigating. The timeline works out, as I don't really want to test startups in single digit (F) ambient temps.

That's the last of the hurdles before I can take it for a test drive. I hope I beat the weather, but I learned long ago - it'll be ready, when it's ready.....

At least that's what I keep telling myself so I can sleep at night. :D

"It'll be ready, when it's ready........" *begins sobbing* 

Thanks again.

Couple small packages today.

GPS interface for the new electric speedometer.

IMG_20160123_200418828_zpsqmzu3trf.jpg

And the first component to improving the fuel feed to the pump. More on that later..

IMG_20160123_200801_zpsec39uv7o.jpg

Not much to report elsewhere, except that I have begun organizing the dash harness, once that is done the dash can actually be installed. But I must not get ahead of myself here. Lots of tiny odds and ends to take care of first.

After 4 days I found THIS sucker. Note to self: don't leave the unriveted VIN tag resting on the top of the dash frame, then proceed to carry the dash out to the truck, only to realize your mistake a day and a half later. Whooops! :D

Phew!

IMG_20160128_182814540_zps05bzo4yc.jpg

Door sill mold. It actually failed, so that will be remade - but I wanted to test the geometry. So I made a quick prototype.

IMG_20160125_130012665_HDR_zpscweexghi.j

IMG_20160127_144118693_zpsun61evxx.jpg

IMG_20160129_200505049_zpshygvkyso.jpg

Just sitting there. On the final versions, the "Datsun" will most likely be highlighted, in either Silver, Gray, or Black.

IMG_20160129_203227949_zps4au4onme.jpg

In regards to the actual car....I've been busy organizing wiring.

IMG_20160129_205619837_zps3vferibb.jpg

I'm nowhere near done, but I got burnt out enough that I decided to mock everything together, cause...yeah.

When you're overwhelmed with work, make more work for yourself - I always say. :D

IMG_20160129_215133390_zpsjapj5dmz.jpg

IMG_20160129_220615654_zpswjyvidam.jpg

IMG_20160129_220533788_zpszwwntttj.jpg

IMG_20160129_220458083_HDR_zpsif8qtlbg.j

IMG_20160129_220412972_zpsybuevox2.jpg

IMG_20160129_220248682_zpsmshpjsvr.jpg

Despite my horrible pictures, as per usual, this has motivated me enough to head out there today.

We'll see how that goes.

I keep asking myself, when will Andy run out of ideas, but they continue to roll in!  Love it, keep 'em coming!  Pretty soon I'll have to ask which I can purchase for my z.

Haha, and I keep telling myself, "This is the LAST thing you're making". I'm basically one set of usable door sills away from reassembly/normal car stuff again. Hooray for that.

The Carbon King!

More like the Clown Prince of Carbon, if you ask me. :lol:

Here's a boring 10 minute video. Trying to bring the project to date. Might be easier to follow than a wall of text.

Haha, and I keep telling myself, "This is the LAST thing you're making". I'm basically one set of usable door sills away from reassembly/normal car stuff again. Hooray for that.

Got that flat wheel now... perhaps it's time to revisit the clamshell gauge pod before hanging up your hat?

Not that I have any personal interest in that or anything. :P

Ha, perhaps that may happen. Thanks for the support everyone.

The gauge pod "works" but it is hard as hell to make, the way I have designed. If I can come up with an easier process to make it, I will.

Thanks

I've been neglecting my duties.......the melted snow has inspired me to work on getting all my boats ready for the water.

I did make a video showing the process of making a set of the clamshells.  

I actually have a friend's whaler in my garage at the moment, and he is planning to work today - so that means I'll have company to keep me motivated on the car.

Guess it's time to jump back in. Edited by OldAndyAndTheSea

• 2 weeks later...

ok...

the work you've done the progress reports you've provided have always been amazing. and that's the problem.  i'm hooked and I'm joneseying... 

any news with regards to your 240z?

Seb

Ps: yeah it's pretty crazy to see all that is involved in the way you make the parts, as Vincer said...  good work.,  nice expertise.

ok...

the work you've done the progress reports you've provided have always been amazing. and that's the problem.  i'm hooked and I'm joneseying... 

any news with regards to your 240z?

Seb

Ps: yeah it's pretty crazy to see all that is involved in the way you make the parts, as Vincer said...  good work.,  nice expertise.

Ha! Again, such kind words. Truly, thank you. I admit I've been taking a small break from the car. The weather has gotten chilly here, and I'm not acclimated - as we had a very mild winter so far. That coupled with some much overdue boat maintenance means the 240 has been neglected, unfortunately.

Had to order a set because its so bada$$

attachicon.gifIMG_20160216_162320758.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20160216_162330566.jpg

I can't tell you how much the support means. It warms my heart to see you enjoying them. Please, if there is anything I can do, let me know. 

Apologies for the lack of updates. This is just me checking in, touching base, explaining the lack of car related progress, as admittedly I've taken a couple weeks off from Datsun work to get some other things off my list of things to do. Boat stuff mostly.

Can't report much on the car, other than I am still ordering the last remaining parts, like CV boots, hoses, and other miscellaneous fittings etc....There really isn't much more to purchase. I just need to put my head down and install/finish everything up.

But, given the current cold weather, and not being in the garage, I have begun planning my off grid tiny house build.

When my father died in 2012 I immediately moved home to take care of my mother. I have been living in her gigantic Italianate Victorian since, in order to assist her by whatever means possible. She is by no means an invalid, but she is alone; she is the last surviving member of her family- aside from my brother (a lawyer in Buffalo) and me. Just maintaining and heating a 150 year old 6000 sq ft home is, as you can imagine, a challenge in itself - especially in a harsh winter climate. So that's been the last 4 years.

But a 26 year old guy can't live with his mom forever, for a plethora of reasons. Long term it isn't beneficial to either of us. So, given that I own property, but have no house, it's time to build me a home.

The property is 6 miles away, and on the water - it's where you see all of my boat related pictures taken. So I can still be of assistance to my mother, but I also can be independent and start the next chapter in my life.

So that's a long winded excuse as to the lack of updates, for what I now realize has been a couple of weeks.

But here are a bunch of pictures, not of car stuff unfortunately, but boat stuff, and tiny house stuff. Some of which you of you may find interesting. If not, more car stuff will be happening very very soon, I promise. I'm not dead; Just cold.  But I AM thinking. :)

First update: Whaler parts

I'm replacing the wooden mounting points for the seat, center console, and front seat of my 1970 Boston Whaler Nauset.

As a rule, I hate screws in boats. So I'm replacing all fasteners with bolts, and encapsulated threaded inserts. It will be much stronger. I need it, as I often take the Whaler in small craft advisories (it's the BEST time to sail :D ). Our Whaler is our chase boat, it needs to be fast, and capable. The wooden console and seats, after 40+ years, needed some 21st century revitalizing. It's going to be great. Wave jumping for days.

Closed cell vinyl foam (5# density) and carbon construction - with brass threaded inserts and stainless hardware.  Replacing the wood pieces on the left.

IMG_20160203_153932837_zps1vdfkavp.jpg

IMG_20160209_171126216_zpsarbnugth.jpg

IMG_20160209_212525745_zpstyxppqcv.jpg

IMG_20160209_222201833_zpsiwfbickk.jpg

IMG_20160209_232308423_zpsdasqjokn.jpg

IMG_20160211_181602004_zpsffhrbga6.jpg

IMG_20160212_170044039_zps86jinkys.jpg

Second update: Hydro foiling Moth wing bar patches.

For those that don't know, I sail a high performance foiling dingy called a Moth. It's an 11' carbon sailboat that can go 40mph, if you have the skill, and stones, for that craziness.

When you rig the boat it must be capsized, of flipped on its side, for at least part of the process. Given most beach settings, and the topography, this can lead to wear - or grinding - of the carbon, which can lead to failure.

Kevlar is used specifically for its resistance to abrasion. It's hilariously infuriating to work with. Just try cutting the stuff!

...So I made some Kevlar patches for the Moth. Now you can drag the boat along the rocks all you want. And those wrinkles you're seeing, that's not bunching - that's just veins; cause it's so strong. :D

IMG_20160210_152321853_zpspmwndunz.jpg

IMG_20160212_165946378_zpsguuak9py.jpg

IMG_20160215_152644379_HDR_zpsxc9eivx8.j

Third update: Off grid tiny house.

210 sq ft.

Radiant heat concrete slab/tile floor.

12v solar system.

Propane run appliances, and on demand water heater.

Wood stove.

Composting toilet.

Greywater treatment/irrigation

420 gallons of water supply which will be hauled in, with rain catchment to supplement.

Attached carport (with Datsun sized block of course)

The cylinder in the house represents a metal spiral staircase - paying homage to my childhood Lighthouse home - leading to a sleeping loft above the bathroom.

It's going to be a really fun project. And it will be perfect timing as there isn't too much more the car needs at this point..

I'm hoping to attain the permits with enough time left to break ground with the upcoming thaw.

IMG_20160222_093231752_zpsoozmzfao.jpg

IMG_20160223_114002392_zps35fuddou.jpg

IMG_20160223_114130992_zpsdvin47mm.jpg

IMG_20160223_114237875_zpsrxjc1r4r.jpg

IMG_20160223_114410187_zpsh916n2da.jpg

IMG_20160223_114427442_zpsx4mbz7x0.jpg

IMG_20160223_114744181_zpslwl9jamb.jpg

So lots and lots and lots going on. But somewhere in the mix, I assure you the Datsun is getting worked on or, at least, thought about constructively

That brings us up to date....I guess? :lol: