HybridZ

xShodaimex 260z build

Hey guys! I have had my 260z [late model] for about 5 months now and am finally ready to start my build. Car was bought somewhere in June of this year, I bought it for 11 hundred dollars. The owner was pretty nice, he even gave me a spare trunk hatch and 2 boxes of parts such as gauges, hoses, carbs, etc. It ran bad, until we hit the highway at around 70 mph it was silent. I bought the car w/ the following problems; somewhat alot of rust near trunk lift/tail light section, brakes were bad and making loud clanking sounds, and the carbs ran super rich so that probably needed tuning or a rebuild. The car has some rust here and there and I plan on painting it w/ por 15 or just cutting it and welding some metal in its place.

Reason why I haven't started my build was because I didn't have everything I needed. This will be a street car and hopefully a track car one day. Im not good with carbs especially dual ones so I decided to do a l28et swap. I just bought an 82 280zxt with an auto tranny last month with 110k miles on it. This will be my donor car. My hp goals are somewhere between 250-300 hp. Currently I have done a rear disc brake conversion(Modern motorsports brackets/240 calipers). I also have a wilwood prop valve, MSA turbo dp, and Act heavy duty clutch that I will install. I am really excited about this swap and I hope to share my build with all of Hybridz so some words of advice and encouragement would be much appreciated. My work schedule sucks and I gotta work every other day so I wont be on as much but I will post as much as I possibly can.

I have already started prepping for the engine removal by removing the radiator and hood.

Edited by xShodaimex

I couldnt stand the big bumpers so i took em off.

DSC00572.jpg

DSC00573.jpg

Gotta love the interior! It is near perfect to me.

DSC00575.jpg

DSC00576.jpg

The old engine.

DSC00579.jpg

Here are the pics of my donor!! 82 zxt which also has custom piping welded on to the stock dp.

DSC00580.jpg

DSC00581.jpg

DSC00587.jpg

DSC00591.jpg

Edited by xShodaimex

I only worked on my car for an hour today and I think all I need to do is remove the Ac stuff and thats it, then I can remove my engine. Next time I get to work on my car is sunday so stay tuned. BTW my haynes manual says that only a professional can remove the AC unit so the manual does NOT cover AC removal. Can anyone help me here? I was thinking just venting the gases off or something, then remove the components afterwards. I know NOTHING about AC and I havent found anything on the search function about removing AC.

Removing the A/C is no different then removing any other part. Just vent the line by loosening a connection (wear gloves just in case) and letting it sit for a while. This is really bad for the planet but it will get the job done. The other option is to take it to an a/c place and they will charge you $65/hour to pump out the R12 then sell it to the next guy in line for $53/ lb.

Edited by Tibby

It shouldn't get in the way, It might though I haven't swapped a L28ET in before. Does your AC work or work well? when I took mine out it was bone dry from leaks over the years and didn't even have any left in it or at least barely any at all. If your AC is charged or works well, then you could probably get away with just moving it up on the framerail to get it away from the engine enough. It should be fine, the only problem I could think of would be the turbo, Maybe just remove the exhaust before you put the engine in? Hope that helps.

I have been bit by the Flu bug!! I've had a fever since Sunday and slept most of the time. I feel like ima die guys. I even requested the next three days off so I can make some progress on the z.. I really hope I get better. Shoulda got my flu shot when I had the chance.

To BluDestiny: the interior looks nice BUT the idiot I bought it from decided to spray paint the seats and interior. The dash is actually brown and so are the seats but they are painted over. Let me know what you are interested in and I'll let you know of the condition of it. Going back to sleep now guys the meds. are starting to kick in.

Hey guys I just got the L28et out, I was wondering if I can use the l26 flywheel and clutch on the l28?

Yes, it will work, but may slip due to the power...I'd source a 240mm flywheel & replacement L28ET clutch kit if I were you...

Edited by Matt K

Unless you make like 300+hp you an go with the 225mm flywheel/clutch. I wouldn't reuse the old parts unless you are really hurting for cash. this is the best time to replace the clutch and resurface the flywheel. You can get a great street setup for like $600(Fidanza Flywheel and exedy clutch kit)

Shoda I was interested in the rear seats. If they are painted over I'll pass.

But I do need the hood. pm me an offer

Hey guys my fidanza flywheel just arrived!! I went online to check the whereabouts of the flywheel and it said it was delivered at 5:09 and I looked at the time and it was 5:30!! My dog chewed up the damn box!! well yeah this is what I have!

http://performance.importrp.com/fidanza/fidanza_flywheel_aluminum/143281/i-165495.aspx

ACT heavy duty clutch.

http://performance.importrp.com/act/act_clutch_kit_heavy_duty_hd/nx2hdss/i-46695.aspx

=]