HybridZ

260z windshield wiper motor wiring EDITED

I started three months ago working on my 260z (that has been sitting for 26 years) and getting close to starting her.

My harmonic balancer is being rebuilt in Reddings, Ca. so I have turned to the last of the unworking auxilary systems...the windshield wipers. With the key on, and I turn the wiper switch to any of the three operating positions, I only her a click. No movement of the blades. When I disconnect the wiring in the engine compartment, and apply voltage to the pigtail of the motor, I can get the blades to move in two speeds. I have also checked the contacts in the light/windshield wiper lever and grounding my test light, I do not pick up voltage at any point.

The lights switch is operating all the lights. How can I trace down this problem??? Thanks

If I recall correctly, there's a 5- or 6-pin plug in the center top of the firewall in the engine compartment. The prongs can get corroded or the plug itself can even come loose. Try checking that connection and cleaning the prongs.

And yes, the wiper relay is mounted on the right side of the passenger foot well (along with several other relays).

For a free FSM, check out this website: "http://www.xenons30.com/reference.html". That's right....FREE! Can't beat it with a stick!!

• 3 years later...

Just in case another 260z owner has a problem with their wipers and this thread shows up in their search, I thought I would zombie-post and pass along the following information that I found useful:

The wiring diagram in the FSM is WRONG!!!

Page BE-67 of the FSM shows the wiring for the windshield wipers and this diagram shows the LR wire (blue with red stripe) coming from the fuse block, connecting to a yellow wire (which connects to the intermittent amp and connector C6) -- this is incorrect!

The LR wire from the fuse block actually connects to the LR wire of the intermittent amp and the LR wire of connector C7.

(You don't know how many swear words it took to discover this error...)

btw, the Haynes manual shows a wiring diagram of the entire car on page 170 and it shows the correct connection of this wire.  (I think that the Haynes diagram was pulled from the FSM but I couldn't find exactly where it was in the FSM...