HybridZ

Offset Help

EatZrib

Hey people I'm new to this whole thing so please take it easy. Anyways, I have a 1983 280zx 2+2 with 17x7 konig's image with a fat spacer.. I want to get new wheels but with a more aggressive look. What's the lowest offset i can go with this car? I want to run basically a stock setup for right now but maybe later on throw on some coilovers. And maybe fender rolling.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/82185-pictures-of-my-girls/page__hl__slownrusty

Read through this thread, it should help you out some, but your probably going to have to do a lot on your own as well, If you figure out the appropriate backspacing for your car everything else should follow suit.

Offset depends on the rim width. Example. You have a 10" wide rim, with 0 offset then the face of the wheel is 5" in. If you you want negative offset you move the face closer to the inside(towards calipers), say to 4" then you have a negative inch(-25 offset) of backspacing. If you move it out to say 6" then you have an inch of positive offset(+25 offset). Offset is measured in millimeters so just convert 1 in = 25.4 mil

You need about 4" of backspacing to clear stock brake calipers.

Offset depends on the rim width. Example. You have a 10" wide rim, with 0 offset then the face of the wheel is 5" in. If you you want negative offset you move the face closer to the inside(towards calipers), say to 4" then you have a negative inch(-25 offset) of backspacing. If you move it out to say 6" then you have an inch of positive offset(+25 offset). Offset is measured in millimeters so just convert 1 in = 25.4 mil

You need about 4" of backspacing to clear stock brake calipers.

Offset is just a byproduct of backspacing, the important part is backspacing and then you apply that backspacing to the width of the rim you want and the resulting offset is just what you have. You want to adjust your wheels for backspacing not offset. There are lots of backspacing and offset calculators on the internet that you can use.

-19 makes up for that buddy....10 @ 0 wouldnt fit (unless you have coils, then it will) ask me how i know.

BUT an 8 -25 is nice 9.5 -19 is nice 10 -20 to -25 or so should work on stock suspension...etc (talking rear here)

i dont see much use on anything bigger than a 235 or so width tire up front...anything else will rub and no need for a 235 on a 10 unless you realllly want it to look dumb. Stick with an 8, 8.5, 9, on the front and focus on squeezing as much TIRE on the back vs rim, remember not much of a purpose to put the same 215s on a 10" wheel when you could fit the same size on stock wheels... make your rim/tire combo USEFULL

• 3 weeks later...

the rotas require NO mods....on stock suspension and even on "lowering spring" cars, its when you go lowww or depending on what tire size/brand you run, but a fender roll will solve any type of slight rubbing.

275-40-17 on the 9.5s was no problem on many of the zx's ive put them on

• 1 month later...

40366d1175456244-back-spacing-rims-cant-find-offset_chart.jpg

Judging by this you couldn't run 10" rims with 0 offset on a s130 if the the backspacing is 4" on a S130.

Bingo! Just the chart I was looking for, I knew there was something around that would be useful in workign out my backspacing for the offsets.

I currently have 2 bids on different wheels, If I win both, well, I'll just wait till they get here and decide which to keep once I've seen them with my own two eyes, but with a low bid on each I'm not waiting breathlessly to win... I'll see if everyone else bids lower than me :D

Anyway, a set of wire rims, 15x7 +25 offset, and a set of Boyds 17x7 0 offset.

According to the chart above the backspacings are respectively 5" and 4"

The 10" -19 rims mentioned in this thread works out about 4 3/4" so 5" on the wires should be acceptable as that is only 1/4" more, but I might need some spacers. If they don't fit the ZX, they should fit my van...

Just got to find the maximum allowable backspacing for the S130 now.

I wish that was the case with a coilovered S130..I had nothing but expensive and tedious issues with my 9.5" wide -19mm Rotas...it worked out in the end but what an effort.

the rotas require NO mods....on stock suspension and even on "lowering spring" cars, its when you go lowww or depending on what tire size/brand you run, but a fender roll will solve any type of slight rubbing.

275-40-17 on the 9.5s was no problem on many of the zx's ive put them on

Edited by slownrusty

well depends on how low you go...like i said shock/spring car it fit fine, and on the particular black car i had, i didnt want it as low as i could get it because my dad was going to buy it back and he would never have wanted it lower than it was, but then again im still looking to go 1/2" to an inch lower all around on my 2+2 which is already low enough, but can go slightly lower and still use the same wheel/tire combo and not rub.