HybridZ

1jz How much am i lookin at

Blitz_86

Well im stuck at 1jz and rb25det,keep in mind ill do most the fab work myself.Now i asked the rb guys they told me it takes about 5k wise to get a rb25det running in a 240z is it cheaper to get the 1jz running? Not trying to be cheap just trying to figure out how much money im lookin at money wise

Guest johnymaddog

I did mine on the cheap with the total cost of under £1500, although I was pretty lucky.

I bought a '92 soarer with a manual R154 box for £400. MOT'ed it and drove it around for 6 months. I stripped out the following parts for the conversion: engine, gearbox, prop, throttle cable, throttle pedal, engine loom, engine bay fusebox, ECU, ingnitor, and as many nut and bolts I could. I then sold some parts on ebay and scrapped the rest, getting back a total of £581.

Breakdown of costs:

Engine/gearbox mounts £80

Honda S2000 pulley and new belt £75

Fuel system(swirl pot, pumps, filters, pipes £300

Intercooler & pipework £350

Propshaft (custom made) £120

Exhaust (3" custom made stainless) £600

I used the datsun clutch master cylinder and made up a new hard pipe with the datsun fittings. I'm still using the datsun radiator with no problems at all, although I will get an ali rad when I can afford it. The engine is stock at the moment but I will be replaceing the downpipe later. The biggest saving over an RB was the cost of the car. I've done all the fabrication and wiring myself (with the help of friends) with has helped with the cost as well. Doing an RB25 would probable add another £1000 to the cost but I would have wanted a RB26 which would have added around £4000. For me it was as cheap to do this conversion as repair my L series.

You're looking at between 1000USD and 2200USD for the engine. Whether or not you get a manual trans will affect the price, obviously.

If you get the engine sans transmission, You'll need to source an Aisin R154 manual trans from a USDM Toyota Supra (87-92), and a R154-JZ bellhousing from either eBay or Driftmotion.com. The Supra R154 is easier to install, as the extension housing (that holds the shifter assembly) is shorter than the Soarer extension housing. It doesn't fit perfectly, and you'll likely need to do a little trimming, but with the soarer trans, you would likely end up needing to cut a new shifter location or push the engine forward in the bay.

Driftmotion sells new R154 JZ Bellhousings for 335USD. You'll need that, as well as the clutch and flywheel. If you're lucky, your engine will come with a manual trans flywheel and not an auto trans flexplate, but that's on your luck.

Once you get all that, you should be ready to drop your engine in. Keep in mind that the 1JZ and 2JZ have similar blocks, and share a lot of common parts, like water pumps, etc. Also, the oil pan MAY or MAY NOT need to be changed. I can't remember if they had a bunch of different ones like 2JZs.

Just want to keep you informed. I'm pretty knowledgeable about Supra stuff, seeing as how I own three of the buggers. :D

Edited by OustedFairlady

Well im stuck at 1jz and rb25det,keep in mind ill do most the fab work myself.Now i asked the rb guys they told me it takes about 5k wise to get a rb25det running in a 240z is it cheaper to get the 1jz running? Not trying to be cheap just trying to figure out how much money im lookin at money wise

1JZ 2JZ installation instructions for dummies,2 weeks, drive it! Read this entry. It is pinned to the Toyota L6 forum. Then research the web for front cut with 1jzgte or 2 jzgte motor. It will have all the wiring included. It will also have gauges. It will save alot of time and effort for you. There are other ways to go about it. This seems to be one of the most straight forward way to do it.Source a custom driveshaft. Go to www.betamotorsports.com for engine mount/ crossmember. There are a number of other small things. No one can tell you exactly what it will cost for you to do this. Are you going to do the fab work yourself? Is someone else going to do it for you? The cost goes up or down depending on this. Just my .02. To get an idea of the cost do the research and add it up. I do not think there is a whole lot of cost difference between the jz motors and the rb motors when all is said and done.

Guest johnymaddog

Just to add, the soarer R154 is the one you need for the perfect fit in a 240z. It allows you to mount the engine as far back in the engine bay as possible and have the gearlever in exactly the right place with no cutting.

Just to add, the soarer R154 is the one you need for the perfect fit in a 240z. It allows you to mount the engine as far back in the engine bay as possible and have the gearlever in exactly the right place with no cutting.

Is that right? I took some measurements, and I admit I'm not exactly sure how much longer the Soarer's R154 is than the Supra's...I was led to believe that it would definitely not fit. I'm not very satisfied with the fact that my shifter is somewhere in my dash...

Is that right? I took some measurements, and I admit I'm not exactly sure how much longer the Soarer's R154 is than the Supra's...I was led to believe that it would definitely not fit. I'm not very satisfied with the fact that my shifter is somewhere in my dash...

Driftmotion will take your shifter and make it longer. http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-r154shifterextensionformk4sc300.php

Guest johnymaddog

I've put the engine as far back as possible, which puts the back of the engine 2" from the baulkhead, and the bottom of the shifter is towards the front of trans hole. Because the soarer lever is dogleged back quite a bit it puts the straight bit of the shifter exactly in the middle of the center consul hole. I would post some pics but I don't seam to be able to upload them to this site. You could check my build thread at zclub.net. Its in the hybrid section on the forum.post-779-025378500 1294346411_thumb.jpg

post-779-074010800 1294346240_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

?

Edited by ozzzzz