HybridZ

82Turbo Dizzy

subridersix

Be forewarned this is a no spark discussion! OK I've got an 82 turbo donor car, parked many years ago for an "electrical" issue. I want to get the donor motor running before I swap it into my 76 280. There is no spark. I believe I've isolated the problem to the dizzy. With the dist. removed but still electrically connected and the housing grounded. At the dist. connector - I have 12vdc & gnd on the red and black wires and no voltage to grd on either of the pickup wires while manually spinning the dist. With the dist disconnected resistance from case to either the two pickup blades or the ground blade are equal. Bad CAS right? I acquired another identical distributor and got the exact same results. SO.... I either have two bad crankshaft angle sensors (which is what I believe) or I'm missing something. Any thoughts or suggestions?

As an alternative I'm considering using my 76 dizzy in the 82. The factory engineers apparently believed a distributor upgrade was needed for 82 either for the turbo or something else. Is anyone aware of the issues with using my earlier distributor in this application. I haven't got the wiring diagrams for my 76, they are currently unavailable at carfiche.com but I assume I could wire in my early dist. just like an edis. Anyone happily using an earlier dist. in a 28et setup?

According to the FSM, the Turbo distributors did have a CAS. NA didn't. I'm only reading from the FSMs...

Your choice of distributor probably depends most on what ignition module and ECU you'll be using.

The 76 distributor is setup for a simple VR triggered ignition module, either the stock unit or a GM HEI or similar. Very basic centrifugal and vacuum advance curves.

The 83 distributor is setup for some feedback from the ECU and (I believe) knock sensors, thermally activated vacuum control switches, etc. It also has 30 degrees of vacuum advance available at the crankshaft, apparently with the knock sensors to retard the timing if necessary. I don't know all of the ins and outs, but the 76 distributor is a simpler device.

The Engine Electrical and Electrical sections of the FSMs have some good diagrams and descriptions.

Either way, if you haven't already, you should take the one you choose apart and make sure the inner workings aren't gummed up before you use it. I've only taken three apart, but all of them had broken bearing races in the breaker plates and were gunked and rusted up. Even the one that looked shiny and almost new on the outside.

According to the FSM, the Turbo distributors did have a CAS. NA didn't. I'm only reading from the FSMs...

Your choice of distributor probably depends most on what ignition module and ECU you'll be using.

The 76 distributor is setup for a simple VR triggered ignition module, either the stock unit or a GM HEI or similar. Very basic centrifugal and vacuum advance curves.

The 83 distributor is setup for some feedback from the ECU and (I believe) knock sensors, thermally activated vacuum control switches, etc. It also has 30 degrees of vacuum advance available at the crankshaft, apparently with the knock sensors to retard the timing if necessary. I don't know all of the ins and outs, but the 76 distributor is a simpler device.

The Engine Electrical and Electrical sections of the FSMs have some good diagrams and descriptions.

Either way, if you haven't already, you should take the one you choose apart and make sure the inner workings aren't gummed up before you use it. I've only taken three apart, but all of them had broken bearing races in the breaker plates and were gunked and rusted up. Even the one that looked shiny and almost new on the outside.

Thank You, I appreciate the information. Using the 76 diz would just be a stopgap measure to get this turbo motor to fire. I know the mechanicals are good I'm trying to get a handle on the ign and FI and the lack of a trigger signal has all progress stopped on both fronts. Thanks again.

Update: I purchased a brand shiny new CAS and BAM! we have spark! The car still won't start but it will run on a steady diet of starting fluid so I'm making progress. The injectors are getting a pulse signal according to my noid light and I'm sure I have adequate fuel at the injectors so I'm baffled at the moment. I've had enough for today but I'll figure it out eventually.

I sounds might good for those few seconds!

Bob