HybridZ

Extended Wheel Studs

I am in the process of gathering parts for doing the 300ZXT CV axle conversion on my V8 Z project. I figured since I'd be beefing up the rest of the rear end, it'd be nice to have some new studs up to the task (and what a better time than when the stub axles are out of the car?). It'll also allow for wheel spacers should the need arise (I'm running the 002 16x8s, currently).

I realize many have suggested that the Quest wheel studs are a perfect match, with the Nissan thread pitch. However, I have been doing some extensive reading and I went so far as to call Dorman's customer service line. Apparently, the S13/S14, (according to Dorman and a few 240sx enthusiast websites), wheel studs will work, and therefore, by extension, the aftermarket studs made for both cars (with the exception of the s14 fronts which have a 14.3mm knurl diameter). 240sx wheel studs are widely available and relatively inexpensive (for aftermarket).

The reason I am creating this topic is I wanted to see if anyone has done this before? I've found extended lug sizes for these cars up to 65mm.

I have also seen the knurl size for the 240Z listed anywhere from 12.9mm (~.508") to 12.83mm (~.507") and was wondering if anyone had any "definitive" measurements. I am not necessarily in need of anything super long, but it'd be nice, for peace of mind, if I could find some with greater tensile strength and/or are not 30+ years old.

Edited by kamikaZeS30

If you don't mind a change in the thread pitch and obviously buying new lug nuts... Stock thread is M12x1.25. ARP has M12x1.5 with .509 knurl and 2.5" long

The ARP 100-7708 Studs for a late model Camaro are what I have on the rear of my car and they work just fine. http://www.jegs.com/i/ARP/070/100-7708/10002/-1?CT=999

Edited by 280zcar

If you don't mind a change in the thread pitch and obviously buying new lug nuts... Stock thread is M12x1.25. ARP has M12x1.5 with .509 knurl and 2.5" long

The ARP 100-7708 Studs for a late model Camaro are what I have on the rear of my car and they work just fine. http://www.jegs.com/...10002/-1?CT=999

Yes. And readily available. My local auto parts store had these in stock.

Well, I appreciate the feedback. I have a set of stock thread-pitch lug nuts that I want to keep using so I am going to exhaust my options looking for them before I change thread pitch.

Apparently, the rear studs (which are the ones I'm most concerned about replacing) for the 280Z/240Z are 12.83mm. Which means wheel studs made for the S13 and S14 will fit in the rear.

Edit: I guess I should clarify, the knurl on the S13 240sx, S14 240sx (rear), 240Z-280Z (rear) and 300ZX are all the same. A lot of places say the front knurl on the S30s is larger, 13.0mm, but I'm wondering if that isn't because some of the parts specifications list OD of the knurl and some list ID of the knurl. I guess I'll spend the $20 for a set of 240SX wheel studs and report my findings.

Edited by kamikaZeS30

There were two different length wheel studs used on the S30 Z cars: the fronts were 32mm long and the rear ones were about 40mm long. The rears had to be longer because of the brake drum which slid over the studs. You can use the rear S30 wheel studs in the front hubs.

The 240SX wheel studs will work on the S30 Z cars but they are only about 1mm longer than the stock rear S30 ones. In fact the Dorman replacement part number for both is the same: 98355 or 610320.

Dorman 98355 or 610320 specs

Type: Serrated Stud

Thread: M12-1.25

Knurl Dia: 12.83mm

Length: 41.5mm

Shoulder Length: 14mm

I recommended the Quest studs because they are 45.5mm long and have the same threads M12-1.25 as the S30 studs and they are readily available.

However, if you have a source of S13/S14 wheel studs that are longer than 45.5mm, then let’s hear about it.

Edited by zcarnut

The only options I see available for the s13/14 longer studs are nismo. They look like they cost $70+ for a set of 10.

They come in 50mm and 60mm sizes.

http://www.frsport.com/Nismo-40222-RS015-50mm-Extended-Wheel-Studs-240SX-S13--F-R--S14--R-_p_7864.html

http://www.frsport.com/Nismo-40222-RS025-60mm-Extended-Wheel-Studs-240SX-S13--F-R--S14--R-_p_7862.html

I'll stick with my ARP studs at 1/3 the cost.

EDIT:

Found some more on that site... 60mm long. $4.95 for a single stud. Slightly cheaper than nismo...

http://www.frsport.com/Circuit-Sports-60mm-Extended-Wheel-Studs-S13-S14-240SX_p_7797.html#f2

Edited by 280zcar

A little cheaper here for the Nismo studs:

http://www.mynismo.com/products/?id=2574

$65.00 for 10 of the 50mm and $66.25 for the 60mm.

Notice that they have different part numbers for the front and rear studs(!).

EDIT:

50mm 240SX studs for $2.00 each:

http://www.mysr20.com/product_p/icb-ns-122550s.htm

Edited by zcarnut

I know a lot of the 240SX guys use the Ichiba 50mm studs with good results, they're only like $2 a stud. Lots of aftermarket companies make studs for the 240sx rears, which I know will fit the s30 rear. Like I said, I'm mainly concerned about the rear. That's where it's going to see the most "shearing" force from acceleration, I think.

That's good to know about using the rears in the front, I may just do that.

I'm ordering a set of Ichiba studs, I will report back with my results. I can get them for $2.05/each but shipping is like $10, which makes the cost like $28. I wonder if one of the local suppliers around here carries them.

Edited by kamikaZeS30

Installing the 50mm studs in the rear may require you to pull the rear hubs. Not much wiggle room with the stub axle in there.

He said he either had the stub axles already out or was going to in the first post.

Rather than yanking my stub axles out, I used a hole saw and cut a 1" access hole in the back of the drum backing plate.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I don't have my front hubs out of the car to verify for certain, but I believe (as zcarnut mentioned, as well) that the rears can be used in the front hub, which would mean the knurl is the same.

I found a set (8) of 50mm extended studs for an S13, Ichiba NS-122550S, for $2.00 each. Google shopping is your friend. And, yes, they fit in the rear hubs.

^ Comments like this make me wonder if people read my posts?

I know that. I'm not an idiot, despite popular belief.

What I meant was that I'd like some "harder" or at least newer and less stressed (i.e. not 35 years of wear and tear) material for my studs in the rear. I also wanted extended length so that if I found some wheels that I really liked I could run up to a 20 or 25mm spacer and have a stud long enough to still maintain proper thread engagement.

Evan Williams

San Diego, CA

ARP sells a 3 in. stud for a Subaru WRX that is the proper threads and they are way cheaper than the NISMO studs. I think they also have a shorter stud and one longer than the 3 in. ones I used.