HybridZ

'66 buick 340 in a 78 280z

s14280zx

I have a Buick 340 v8 with a two speed transmission with 65,000 miles on it. My uncle had this motor taken out of a '66 Skylark 4-door, and he was going to put it in his 2-door, but he passed away the week before Thanksgiving from diabetes. He was 55 years old. He always tried to talk me into putting a V-8 into my 78 280z or my 79 280zx, but I never took him seriously. Since he helped me get both of my z's, I was thinking about swapping in his buick 340 as a tribute to him. Would the chevy mounting kits work with this, or would I have to fab custom mounts? What else would I need to make this work? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Is it your intention to swap the 340 and 2-speed in as is? Or... do you intend to build up the 340 a bit? None of the Chevy mounting stuff will work. However, if anyone has dropped in a Buick V6, THAT stuff will work. Same mounting points and mounts.

Greg

Edited by Greg55_99

Is it your intention to swap the 340 and 2-speed in as is? Or... do you intend to build up the 340 a bit? None of the Chevy mounting stuff will work. However, if anyone has dropped in a Buick V6, THAT stuff will work. Same mounting points and mounts.

Greg

I was thinking about rebuilding it and using it stock, except my uncle had a 4-barrel manifold for it that I would use. He told me they had about 260 hp. Would the mounts be from an early '80's regal or grand nat'l? Thanks for the help.

I was thinking about rebuilding it and using it stock, except my uncle had a 4-barrel manifold for it that I would use. He told me they had about 260 hp. Would the mounts be from an early '80's regal or grand nat'l? Thanks for the help.

Regal V6 mounts sound right. The Buick 231, 3.8L V6 and all small block Buicks use the same mounts. I'd say that's a good place to start. The 340 is a nice engine. It was only built for two years, 1966-67. It was superceded by the 350, similar but not quite the same. Heads are different on the 350. The 340 uses the Buick 300 top end and the Buick 350 bottom end. Believe it or not, aluminum big valve heads are soon to be available to fit the 340.

766_NEW_ROV_V8HEADS_(2).JPG

766_ROVER_V8_HEADS_JULY_1020100702_05.jpg

Greg

Edited by Greg55_99

Regal V6 mounts sound right. The Buick 231, 3.8L V6 and all small block Buicks use the same mounts. I'd say that's a good place to start. The 340 is a nice engine. It was only built for two years, 1966-67. It was superceded by the 350, similar but not quite the same. Heads are different on the 350. The 340 uses the Buick 300 top end and the Buick 350 bottom end. Believe it or not, aluminum big valve heads are soon to be available to fit the 340.

766_NEW_ROV_V8HEADS_(2).JPG

766_ROVER_V8_HEADS_JULY_1020100702_05.jpg

Greg

Thanks for the info. When my uncle Tim bought the 4-door '66 Buick skylark, the owner said it hasn't been run in 13 years. We changed the fluids, sprayed a little wd- 40 in the spark plug holes, let it soak for a few minutes, hooked a battery to it, and it fired right up and ran about perfect. We couldn't believe it. The car only had 65000 miles on it. He used to run his buicks pretty hard and they rarely broke down. He also had a shoebox full of speeding tickets :lol: