HybridZ

intake design Q

240zphilly

Thanks Xnke...I'm totally stoked that the engine is producing this sort of power!  :icon10:

Don't be confused. This engine belongs in my silver coupe, its the one that was going to be turbo'ed and had the P90 head on the N42 block with VG30DETT JE's, a 2850cc engine. 

Because I track this car, putting a turbo on was going to move me into a different class, so I decided to replace the P90 with a late model E88 off an L24E engine (R30 Skyline). I had my tuning shop "develop" the head to this point, swirl polished stainless L28 valves and a full CNC port and chamber re-work.

The cam is a Wade 640A grind, 298 deg. Adv. duration, 595 lift at the valve. Timing events are Intake  44/74 and Exhaust 82/36

And the megasquirt is working very well, supporting this sort of performance.

Cheers Mate!  :icon6: 

• 7 months later...

There's been some mods to the engine since this last post and there is a new dyno graph to go with it.

Changes have been a Kameari 1mm MLS head gasket, twin idler gear setup and a Nismo balancer

Wanted to use the Megasquirt ignition timing option but ended up just locking the advance in the ZX dizzy and timing it to 30 degrees.

I had also planned on upgrading the headers to a beautiful tuned length item but there were time constraints and they're not on the engine.....yet!

The headers on there are generic, locally produced non tuned length somethings with a section of 2.5 inch pipe at the end of the primaries. the rest of the exhaust is 3 inch though.

I'm really very happy with the performance from this engine. Considering how many detail items are yet to be implemented, there's more power and torque in this combo yet.

post-3547-0-30763200-1415450070_thumb.jpg

post-3547-0-84188600-1415450214_thumb.jpg

post-3547-0-57105800-1415451547_thumb.jpg

Edited by ozconnection

Mark--are you going back to the same Dyno each time?

If so (hope so) I found it helps to have the last run they had on file for my car printed out on the best run at the end of the day.

Helps me see what change affected what part of the graph, and by how much.

Nice torque curve!

Very interesting. There is actually less power from 4500 to 6500 but where the power dived before just after 6.5K rpm, the new graph keeps pulling the numbers.

Probably advancing the cam timing a little and maybe a little richer would pick that difference back up The ignition timing was the same for both runs, so nothing to be gained or lost there. Compression is up a smidge with the MLS gasket (1mm vs 1.2)

Edited by ozconnection

Very interesting. There is actually less power from 4500 to 6500 but where the power dived before just after 6.5K rpm, the new graph keeps pulling the numbers.

Probably advancing the cam timing a little and maybe a little richer would pick that difference back up The ignition timing was the same for both runs, so nothing to be gained or lost there. Compression is up a smidge with the MLS gasket (1mm vs 1.2)

And THAT is the true value of that Dyno graph!

• 2 years later...

i know this is an old thread but as a person looking into these kinds of setups i havent found a more concentrated source of useful information so i think it deserves a bump 

i've been specifically researching the holley terminator EFI to replace the holley 390 on my clifford for a turbo setup -- SuperDan, did you ever go turbo? very glad to hear the terminator CFM isnt too high, was worried about the same. i also definitley would not have thought of the heat shield being so necessary. 

anybody else using any of these 4bbl TBI setups in a turbo application? also curious how well the Holley HP software can be setup to deal with boost - will be my first time tuning an engine but that kind of work is close to my profession so im excited to learn

also as was said earlier im tempted by the potentially short/direct path from turbo to intake.. although i have low boost aspirations im still hesitant to try it without an intercooler (even though blow through guys do it all the time).. any thoughts on air-to-water intercooler setups?