HybridZ

2010 Camaro LS3 with 6L80 6 speed auto trans

I have a 1978 280Z and I would like to do an LS conversion on it. I have located a 2010 SS Camaro LS3 engine with a 6L80 6 speed auto transmission. The engine comes with all the accessories, wiring harness and ECU.

I'm interested in this set up because my Z has 4.10 gears and with the LS3 and 6 speed auto set up I think it should be interesting to drive on the street. I have seen stock LS3 with headers and a tune put up almost 500 hp to the crank. I want my car to idle smooth and basically be a sleeper. Oh I forgot to mention I will be running and 100hp (which a stock LS3 should easily handle) shot of Nitrous on it in case someone pulls up with a Viper.

My question is, has anyone ever done an LS3 conversion with the wiring harness from a late model Camaro using the 6 speed auto transmission? I see a lot of LS1 and LS2 conversions but not LS3 with 6 speed automatics. I'm just wondering if this set up will fit with the kits that are available online or if I'm looking at custom made parts.

Your imput would be greatly appreciated.

everything that is out will fit the ls3. Wiring would be just like a dbw ls2. Driving that car with a t56 and 4.10 is going to be worthless, you want lower gears.

Actually, if I interpreted that post correctly, he's putting in a 6L80e, rather than a t56.

The 6L80 gear ratios are such : 4.027 2.364 1.532 1.152 0.852 0.667

While 1994+ T56 (f body) ratios are: 2.66 1.78 1.30 1.00 0.74 0.50

I hope you have stock in a tire company, because you WILL be cooking some tires trying to go anywhere, under 60mph. :)

I'd have to agree with the above post that you want higher (numerically lower) gears, if you can even make that massive 6L80 fit!

Actually, if I interpreted that post correctly, he's putting in a 6L80e, rather than a t56.

The 6L80 gear ratios are such : 4.027 2.364 1.532 1.152 0.852 0.667

While 1994+ T56 (f body) ratios are: 2.66 1.78 1.30 1.00 0.74 0.50

I hope you have stock in a tire company, because you WILL be cooking some tires trying to go anywhere, under 60mph. :)

I'd have to agree with the above post that you want higher (numerically lower) gears, if you can even make that massive 6L80 fit!

You are correct sir. I'm looking at the 6L80 auto transmission not the T56. I figured with the 4.10 gears and the 6L80 I would have great bottom end power and good crusing speed without being too high into the RMP's. I think the tires I have should be able to hang at least for a while.

Do you know if the 6L80 would fit the 280Z? They are not cheap, I would hate to buy one and have it in my garage as a stool.

Thanks for your input.

post-14557-059850700 1294243336_thumb.jpg

Not really, do you know what GM automatic transmission will fit without any tunnel modifications?

TH-350, TH-400, 700R4, 200-4R, 4L60, 4L80 should fit with a little massaging.

Being that its a 280, you have a larger tunnel, and a little more room to work with. Without ANY modifications, I don't think much will fit. With some cursing / hammering, a few more will.

I have seen stock LS3 with headers and a tune put up almost 500 hp to the crank.

Someone lied to you about mods to the LS3.

We just got done doing long tubes, cam, MagnaCharger on 8 psi, and dyno tune and it barely made 550 to the wheels. No way is the blower only good for 50 rwhp.

Also, the 6.2 found in front of a 6L80 in 2010+ Camaro's aren't LS3's, they are L99's. More or less the same except lower HP, DoD, and VVT.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the information guys.

After giving this a lot of thought I have decided to scrap the LS3 with the 6L80 auto transmission idea. That set up is about $10K (used with low miles)and I still would have to do many modifications and buy extra parts to make everything fit right, not to mention it would be a stock LS3.

I have decided to go with a stroked LS2 402 CID 550hp/545lb/ft. This is a brand new turnkey motor set up with a Holley computer, wiring harness, alternator, A/C, with billet pullies and all forged internals. It comes fully assembeled with everything you need to drop the motor in connect power and fuel and start it up. The computer is already tuned and has an auto tune feature that retunes itself depending on air temperature and altitude. It has dyno sheet with it and a 3 year warranty even if I'm spraying 100 shot of NOS. I'm going to back that with a T56 that can take 700lb/ft of torque. That set up will be around $16K but is all brand new components with a warranty instead of some used LS motor with cheap Hypereutectic pistons.

I'm starting my project in March and will post pictures from time to time on this forum in case anyone is interested in how is coming along. There are a great bunch of guys in this forum that seem to want to help each other which is great to see.

Cable,

I'm intesrested on your long tube headers for this project. Let me know when you get them done and a final price.

Thanks for all the information guys.

After giving this a lot of thought I have decided to scrap the LS3 with the 6L80 auto transmission idea. That set up is about $10K (used with low miles)and I still would have to do many modifications and buy extra parts to make everything fit right, not to mention it would be a stock LS3.

I have decided to go with a stroked LS2 402 CID 550hp/545lb/ft. This is a brand new turnkey motor set up with a Holley computer, wiring harness, alternator, A/C, with billet pullies and all forged internals. It comes fully assembeled with everything you need to drop the motor in connect power and fuel and start it up. The computer is already tuned and has an auto tune feature that retunes itself depending on air temperature and altitude. It has dyno sheet with it and a 3 year warranty even if I'm spraying 100 shot of NOS. I'm going to back that with a T56 that can take 700lb/ft of torque. That set up will be around $16K but is all brand new components with a warranty instead of some used LS motor with cheap Hypereutectic pistons.

I'm starting my project in March and will post pictures from time to time on this forum in case anyone is interested in how is coming along. There are a great bunch of guys in this forum that seem to want to help each other which is great to see.

Cable,

I'm intesrested on your long tube headers for this project. Let me know when you get them done and a final price.

You do realize that you can easily make more power than that with a simple cam swap in an LS3. Your project though. Do whatever is going to make you happy.

Looking forward to seeing this come together.

You do realize that you can easily make more power than that with a simple cam swap in an LS3. Your project though. Do whatever is going to make you happy.

Looking forward to seeing this come together.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the LS3 is rated at 436HP, I dont know of a cam that can bump that up to 550HP and remain streetable. The LS2 I'm talking about idles at 900 rpm and I can run A/C since it only has a stage 2 cam (faily mild).

I looked at the LS3 option, buying a crate motor and caming it I would be around $8500 without any accesories and it would still be a stock bottom end and heads.

Like they say, you get what you pay for. Sometimes is better to spend the money up front and do it right than trying to piece things together to save a few bucks and wind up doing it twice spending more money than if you would have gone all out from the get go.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the LS3 is rated at 436HP, I dont know of a cam that can bump that up to 550HP and remain streetable. The LS2 I'm talking about idles at 900 rpm and I can run A/C since it only has a stage 2 cam (faily mild).

I looked at the LS3 option, buying a crate motor and caming it I would be around $8500 without any accesories and it would still be a stock bottom end and heads.

Like they say, you get what you pay for. Sometimes is better to spend the money up front and do it right than trying to piece things together to save a few bucks and wind up doing it twice spending more money than if you would have gone all out from the get go.

:rolleyes:

you people and all your money.......