HybridZ

Is this Color OK

280zNHChris

This motor is going in my 240zt. I got it as a longblock with lower end checked and head rebuilt p90a hyd. I have had some pieces around the shop coated for display and threw them on, JSK fuel rail w/gauge, 450cc dsm injectors, the intake is ported, shaved and coated for a 240sx throttle body, the exhaust manifold I did in 1600 degree blue ceramic. Have megasquirt 2 and EDIS going on it ( Z-Ya is helping on that), got Dereks dist. block off coming and gonna coat that in a candy also and a powerforce damper coming. Obviously there is no particular theme, I have been doing it mostly in candies ( I like them :) ). Some people think the valve cover is overkill and should be one color. Suggested valve color is lollipop blue like the front of the valve cover in the photo. What color valve cover should I do? Or would you suggest? The car is pearl white and graphite on the outside.

Thanks Chris

front.jpg

leftside.jpg

leftside2.jpg

right.jpg

right2.jpg

right3.jpg

Edited by 280zNHChris

Personally, I think you should go with whichever color you like!

It's your car, and your opinion should be the one that really matters :)

I really like shooting the candy colors too! They're a little more challenging to get right, but they look so good in person compared to a single stage powder!

What gun are you shooting? Who do you get your powder through?

I'm a fan of that timing cover!

IMO, you should pick one or two colors and powdercoat any parts in those two colors. Looks like you've got orange, red, a couple blues, and a mix of colors on the valve cover. It's just too much. If you've decided what color you're going to paint your car, you might use that as one of the colors, and black as the other color. That's probably what I'd do.

Holy powdercoat Batman!

Not exactly what I had in mind when I built the engine, but it certainly is a nice exercise to showoff your excellent powdercoating work Chris. Super nice gloss on the valve cover. Nice work!

I've got extra engine parts (head, block, etc.), it f you want to coat an entire engine for display in your shop.

Pete

Edited by z-ya

I'm not a fan of the multi-colored valve cover.

post-1627-032574400 1294246323_thumb.jpg

Once it's installed, that's the main thing you see. I like black crinkle (but it's hard to clean) or gray (which is what I did). The polished metal covers look nice, but tend to get dirty quickly and are again a pain to keep clean.

I would have gone with the metallic blue and kept the colors to one or two (like red and blue). On the black for the engine. While nice, it's impossible to see the oil leaks. I'd select a color where you can see leaks (like blue or silver).

I also powdercoated my front timing cover. I matched it to the valve cover. But kudos on the wild colors. It's your personal choice.

Thanks for the input. I have a few different candy blues and think I will go that route, with the lollipop purple. I did it for me but also to show potential customers and didn't want to see them step back before they step forward. I'll do a valve cover in lollipop blue and use that. I do like all the candies but it is hard because they don't match much on cars. This car is also my summer driver so it gets lots of miles, though not sure about this summer. I have a 67 Datsun Pick-up, maybe that will become a candy pick up. 8)

Cockerstar: pm'd

Pete: Hell'ya at some point I'd love to have one on display at the shop, I'll tell kids it a Datsun Z Transformer and thanks again.

I saw that bolt kit, it looks nice. I am blasting and powder coating every bolt when I remove them, they are coated to the threads and then I am never seizing the threads. I should be good for a very long time, it will stop the bolts from bleeding rust (and save me $500).

OK ... on the bolts. If you're bead blasting them, go the extra mile and tumble polish them (a vibration polisher costs under $100 at HB) and then get them cad plated or yellow zinc chromate. My source would do every bolt on the car for around $100. PM me if you want the source. He charges by the USPS box ... fill up the box and then you get it back all nice and plated. The key is giving them clean bolts. If you polish them it looks incredible. I would never powdercoat a bolts. When you torque down on the bolt, you'll loose the coating or chip it. The chromate / yellow zinc is a superior solution. But hey ... its your car. I'm just offering my opinion here. The bolts below were yellow zinc plated and the suspension was powdercoated.

post-1627-052104300 1294428301_thumb.jpg

On the engine, you can see some of the plated parts here. Not everything was done ... but just shows you how it looks mostly stock, just new

post-1627-020585500 1294428578_thumb.jpgpost-1627-084077300 1294428589_thumb.jpg

I like your idea of a ceramic coated intake. It's something I might consider doing one day.

Thanks for the offer. $100 is a good deal. Since I can coat them myself it will save me money for other things. My stuff pretty much doesn't chip as long as you don't use an impact wrench. I have powdercoated over 20 sets of lugnuts for cars and they still look good. I blast a lot of stuff for cadmium plating for Bad Dog and it looks good, but I am not looking for an original OEM look. My bolts are candy blue. When I do a full restoration on a car I will take my time and do everything. The car is in good shape and I don't want a show car. I plan on driving it hard and at NHIS with club members. This is the car. The white one. If you need anything ceramic coated let me know, Z cars get discounts. 8) You can see more here... www.srpowdercoating.com

Thanks Chris

whitez.jpg

Edited by 280zNHChris