HybridZ

Datsun Competition Hood Scoop

emoximuu

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got one on my 71 240Z. The only thing I'm missing is the gaskets but I'll make those when I get the car repainted. I also saw one on a silver 240Z at the ZCON 2010. Apparently, they are quite rare. The purpose of these was not so much competition as it was removing underhood heat causing vapor lock on 240Z's and early FI'd engines. Instead of cutting that horrific oval hole in my hood I opted to have two rows of louvers punched by an old hotrod fabricator. Mine came off a 260Z at the local Pick-N-Pull. I think I paid about $50 for the scoop and rusting hood. This is a "love it or hate it" item.

post-881-096945900 1294237385.jpg

Edited by ezzzzzzz

Love it! Its a functional origonal option. "that horrific oval hole" would remove more weight to compensate for the addition of the scoop, and would probably move more air/heat as well. I would install it as designed.

Yes, it is very much a "love it" or "hate it" look. There are a few out there, but you probably stand a better chance of finding a 3:36 R200 or a CLSD in the JY. I looked for two years before finding mine: swapped a member of this forum a complete R200 CLSD with CV shafts complete for it. We were both happy as hell with the trade. In my case, I am running a tall truck intake manifold and this scoop will cover the large hole needed for clearance. I expect it will also allow my engine to run cooler without blocking my view or overtly inviting the constabulary to come on over and take a look.

The piece is laid up with fiberglass fabric and does not appear to be difficult to duplicate. If you wish to "eyeball" the dimensions, take a look at my album on this website, look for the photos of it on different hoods.

G

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Les at Classic Datsun came through and has released a reproduction of the Competition Hood Vent. I'm not sure if I'm the first, but I just received one. The quality looks to be very good.

IMG_3378.jpg

IMG_3380.jpg

There's a flange bonded to the bottom of the vent for mounting. There were no threaded inserts molded into the flange, so I used some 1/4-20 clip-on nuts that I found at Napa:

94850a150p1l.png?ver=19733236

IMG_3382.jpg

Here you can see that the entire length of the engine can be opened up for venting:

IMG_3373.jpg

The vent matches the contours of the hood very well. Other than some scuffing and minor sanding for paint, no work needs to be done to make it fit. I wish I could say the same about the hood, but it was free.

IMG_3365.jpg

Mounting holes drilled:

IMG_3366.jpg

Hole cut in hood. Note, you can only cut back to about 6" from the rear of the hood before the hood frame gets in the way.

IMG_3397.jpg

Nigel

Edited by Nigel

Sorry missed it, was to excited to see someone recreating it. I sent him a message on classiczcar.

No problem! I understand your enthusiasm. I felt the same way, and that's why I kept following up with Les until he had the part ready. Just be aware that he's apparently very busy, and it can take a while to get a reply back. Mind you, that may have been because he was still arranging production, and had nothing to report. Once he had a part available, the transaction occurred pretty quickly, and the part was well packaged.

Nigel

• 3 weeks later...

I finished installing the hood this past weekend. The vent was a piece of cake to mount on the hood, but getting the hood on the car turned out to be an unexpected nightmare! I'll save that story for later though.

I've painted the hood and vent satin black for now, because it was quick and easy to do, but I'll probably have them painted white to match the rest of the car when I have the whole car repainted next year.

IMG_0981.jpg

IMG_0982sml.jpg

IMG_0991sml.jpg

Nigel

'73 240ZT

Edited by Nigel