HybridZ

My fiberglass dashboard and console

slyhog22056

A few weeks ago i began forming the foam mold for my dashboard. I figured i needed to take some pics and share them. This is only the foam rough in. I plan to fill everything in with plaster to smooth everything out then paint it with several coats of enamel paint before i start laying on the glass. When i get it all done (3layers of glass) then i can melt out the foam with acetone and get rid of the remaining plaster with plain water. I still have to build the center section that goes down the front for the heater controls, radio and heat outlet. Bu that will be a seperate piece so i can remove it if needed. It was difficult to try and incorporate 9 2" gauges and the 5" tach and speedo into it all.post-4129-063740300 1294462077_thumb.jpegpost-4129-091370600 1294462160_thumb.jpegpost-4129-069857500 1294462199_thumb.jpeg

post-4129-086493300 1294462092_thumb.jpegpost-4129-097880900 1294462297_thumb.jpegpost-4129-055572700 1294462329_thumb.jpeg

no, i just figured out how much room i needed for my gauges and switches and just started cutting it out, shaped the lower half with a home made hot rod then glued 4" foam on the and just went to carving with a grinder with a wire cup on it. Made some changes since then i covered the sutout onthe passenger side since i wont be able to see those guages over there. Got it covered in plaster right now trying to even things out and see how it looks. I thought about making a female mold out of plaster in case someone wanted one but... nawww

The foam was some we had left over from where i work, it was from a old sludge seperator we removed about 9 years ago, dont know where to find any more of it though the sheets were 4" thick and 2' x 6' long and i got 15 of them and about to run out from different fiberglass projects. I am going to have to start lookin around for some industrial foam because i still have a lot more fiberglass stuff i want to make.

yeah i already sat in it and looked, at first i had it 2" higher to run gauges all the way across but lowered it and the top of the steering wheel from my point of view in the seat is at the same height as the dash. I think what you are seeing is the hump on the backside of it, i had to go back about 4" before tapering it off to allow room under it for the wiring and gauges. Got it covered in the 2nd coat of plaster to sand it out before painting it. I will take more pics after it is dry and sanded.