HybridZ

L28ET can i install 1 new piston?

kitami-san

I just pulled my first L28et out of a 1981 turbo automatic a week ago. I decided that i would keep it stock internally as per my power goals ( about 250 ish wheel) so i started to tear it down so that i could check the bearing tolerances, install new rings, new gaskets, hone, hot tank the parts, ect. tore everything down and to my slight surprise, everything internally was in good condition (havent done any actual measurment yet just going off of how it looks) the engine only had 67,000 miles on it, i could still see good crosshatching on the cylinder walls.

welllll to get to the point, when removing one of the pistons it slipped and fell on my engine stand in such a way that the weight of the connecting rod and the way it fell on the bar of the engine stand caused the connecting rod to put a fat crack in the piston skirt.

I would prefer not to replace all 6 pistons if possible but if not of course i will have to do that.

so the question is, is it reasonable to replace just one piston?

Well at least one person says this is reasonable, thats good.

i feel pretty dumb for how it happened.

any other opinions?

does anyone know the best place to get a single piston. nissan parts zone wants about 60 bucks which seems pretty reasonable.

No other opinion needed. Dan's right.

If you want a spare motor I will sell you one for $400, it is a basic long block with exhaust manifold, turbo, intake manifold and wiring harness. I was going to use it in my supercharger project, but now have a deal to sell my Z. I am in W Phoenix.

Thanks alot guys, I am going to look into a new piston and get everything cleaned really well before reassembly, and so that i can paint the block.

I am in south phoeinx around 16th street and grant, im going to call BAP tomorrow and see what they can get.

I would be interested in your engine SHO-Z, but im pretty much broke from buying (and pulling) the l28et from the 280zx at Ecology auto parts.

what is the best way to get all the engine parts cleaned, particularly the pistons since it pertains more to this question.?