HybridZ

My 76 280z 1jz build thread

pat1

Ok, I got alot done today, it's running . I'm going to get the driveshaft built this week. So far this has been a pretty easy swap. It's alittle harder than a rb swap but all around this is Cake.

• 2 weeks later...

Pat,

I don't check this forum very much, I am focused on the Rb forum b/c of my current swap. Your 1JZ swap is clean clean. I can't wait until I get to day the day when I can use the word "cake" when talking about an engine swap. Looking forward to your next project.

Bill

Looks great!

Just a comment on the lack of posts. It seems that most people that view the yota section don't fill threads with extra fluff. Sorry this offends you I do understand we all need our fire stoked. You are getting the views that is a great measure of popularity.

Hope to see more great job on the mounts.

This is a awesome thread! Been thinking about doing a swap like this too since my brother began working on a mkiii. turned out really sweet, so he has been trying to get me to steer away from the nissan L-series lol! Plus he knows where to get a another 7M or 1J, so its looking like it's feasible. Anyway, just happened to come across this thread today and been looking at a few others, keep up the good work and let us see how it turns out!

• 1 month later...

It's runnIng great and fast as hell. The torque is awesome. I swapped out the exhaust housing to the turbo from a .81 A/R to .68 a/r and turned it into a low rpm spooling monster. I'm only boosting a low 10-12 psi. I had to get a new boost controller because of the pos greddy ebc took a crap sitting in my tool box lol. I installed a Apexi NEO and leaned it out a bit. I'm still running 10.2 to 1 between 4k to redline. I need to take it to the dyno and tune it. I just bought a set of HKS cams 272 intake and 264 exhaust. As soon as they come in I'll install them and head to the dyno. My goal is 500whp but I still need to get a set of 550 injectors because the 440 will be maxed out at around 450whp

Anyways this thing is a monster. Full spool by 3600-3800 rpm. The cams will change this. The torque is amazing and it pulls like crazy and it's not even tuned.

I was going to do a rb25 or 26 but in glad that I decided on the 1jz. Plus you can get the parts anywhere. And the parts are CHEAP . Alot of the parts swap out from the 2jz and that means the high dollar parts that the high horse power supras guys use interchange. So when the supra guys change their build and sell the parts you can pick them up for almost nothing. Not like the rb's

• 2 weeks later...

I know you were kinda turned off by the lack of comments and replies, but most people here are just lurking (like myself) and thinking about their own plans. I agree with you about the JZ parts being cheaper than RB stuff. There's A LOT of guys running the 1 and 2 JZ platform so when they sell their parts you can snag great deals. You have more or less created the build I plan to do in the future. It looks great and is squeeky clean. Congrats!!

• 1 month later...

Most of the swaps I see in this forum are mid sump jz series. has anyone successfully swapped in a front sump engnine? To me it looks like from everyones pics that there is enough room and especially with how far back these things sit. I have a 2jz front sump engine I have been building for the past few months and was getting ready to purchase a mid sump setup from a gte engine locally. If I don't have to spend 300 bucks on that guys sump then I can move onto buying other more important things like my transmission. Someone that builds his own pans such as yourself Pat would most likely know if this would clear or not.

Btw, I love your setup and I can only imagine how fast your car is! My friend and I put a 1jz into his TE corola, that thing weighed about as much as our z's. It was consistently laying down low 13's high 12's in stock form and then when he went single, low 12's weren't even an issue.

Most of the swaps I see in this forum are mid sump jz series. has anyone successfully swapped in a front sump engnine? To me it looks like from everyones pics that there is enough room and especially with how far back these things sit. I have a 2jz front sump engine I have been building for the past few months and was getting ready to purchase a mid sump setup from a gte engine locally. If I don't have to spend 300 bucks on that guys sump then I can move onto buying other more important things like my transmission. Someone that builds his own pans such as yourself Pat would most likely know if this would clear or not.

Btw, I love your setup and I can only imagine how fast your car is! My friend and I put a 1jz into his TE corola, that thing weighed about as much as our z's. It was consistently laying down low 13's high 12's in stock form and then when he went single, low 12's weren't even an issue.

no the front sump setups won't fit in the s30. Mine in a mid sump and the front of the engine sit about 1/2 of a inch off the steering rack. If you could make it fit the engine would sit way to high and the trans would never fit in the tunnel. Sorry

Thanks, this car is stupid fast and fun. As soon as it cools down in Georgia I'm going to start driving everyday and I plan on taking it to the dyno and see what numbers I can get out of this thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Also you always want the motor as far back in the engine bay as humanly possible....you dont want the thing to drive like a FWD car do you!? lol,,,you can barley fit a finger behind my set up with the Betamotorsports cross member.

Also you always want the motor as far back in the engine bay as humanly possible....you dont want the thing to drive like a FWD car do you!? lol,,,you can barley fit a finger behind my set up with the Betamotorsports cross member.

Thats why I was asking.......if its a front sump design and it would clear the engine would be far back anyways. See what I mean? I am just going to build my own pan like PAT does and place the engine appropriately. Thanks for the responses guys!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A little update. It's running great. I installed the hks 272/264 cams and it's a beast. The power is like a light switch. At 4k rpm the power comes on like mad and it revs like crazy. I bought a set of 550 injectors and resistor pack to install very soon. I also had to install a new bosch 044 fuel pump. My walbro started to whine bad. I also built a surge tank and installed it today.

I was driving it a couple weeks ago and hit the brakes and it wouldn't stop,the ft brakes faded like crazy. It really scared me. I headed home and was on the internet looking to upgrade my brakes. I just installed the Toyota non vented calipers,brake lines and new rear shoes. All of it sucked ass. The ft pads were trash. I ordered a set of Axxis metal master ft brake pads and I was waiting for them to come in until I got on to Azc web site. AZC wilwoods caught my eye.

At 1700.00 a set was alot of money but I said screw it and ordered front and rear Wilwoods. I installed them last week and I must say these things are badass. Holy brakes, It stops on a dime. I'll post some pics later

• 3 weeks later...