HybridZ

280Z stock fuel tank with LS-1 for dummies

I have no real reason to keep it.

Well you have no reason to eliminate it, would be the better way to say it... I thought you were eliminating it for a specific reason which was why I asked.

An expansion tank is needed to provide space for the expansion of fuel(and water if there's any in your system) and without it your fuel tank will experience higher pressures, which could impact your fuel pump and other aspects of your fuel system.

I'm not sure how critical that is, but I elected to keep mine since there's no harm in keeping it, it's already plumbed and it serves a purpose that the manufacturer felt was important enough to include as part of the system.

Maybe others have more feedback on it?

Your correct, I took a second look at the tank, but would like to eliminate a number of the tubes going to the tank to make it simpler. Will consider adding it back in if I can get some replacement hoses. I'm assuming you kept all the hoses going to the stock tank?

• 2 weeks later...

Well you have no reason to eliminate it, would be the better way to say it... I thought you were eliminating it for a specific reason which was why I asked.

An expansion tank is needed to provide space for the expansion of fuel(and water if there's any in your system) and without it your fuel tank will experience higher pressures, which could impact your fuel pump and other aspects of your fuel system.

I'm not sure how critical that is, but I elected to keep mine since there's no harm in keeping it, it's already plumbed and it serves a purpose that the manufacturer felt was important enough to include as part of the system.

Maybe others have more feedback on it?

I'm curious of why you feel the expansion tank is needed for an LS motor's fuel system? I see a lot of sports cars that do not have expansion tanks and do not have fuel delivery issues.

The reason I'm asking is that I would like to have a custom fuel tank made and would like to get rid of as many hoses as posible without creating any problems. From what I have been told by fuel tank builders in that the expansion tank was put in place due to emissions only.

Edited by alainburon

• 10 months later...

If you eliminate the expansion tank and associated hoses, you may not be able to completely fill the tank with fuel. All those hoses are not only for temperature expansion, but also to eliminate air pockets in the tank which will prevent you from filling it completely with fuel. I know this for a fact as I once converted my expansion tank to a surge tank, but I could only about 12 gal of fuel in it, so I reconnected it as an expansion tank and then I could fit the full 16 gal in.

Pete