HybridZ

Camaro is gone ! 260z is here !

Daz

Sold my Camaro and scored a 74' 260z for $450 ! So now the sanding begins ! I hate it, I hate it, I hate it ! The PO stripped a good 75% of the body using some chemical and then quit so the body was left out in the elements with bare metal. I think I got it in time before anything got really corroded and thinned, it all turns out to be surface rust with very little pitting(the roof is the worst,it looks as if it has freckles).I'll get pic's up tomorrow !

Sold my Camaro and scored a 74' 260z for $450 ! So now the sanding begins ! I hate it, I hate it, I hate it ! The PO stripped a good 75% of the body using some chemical and then quit so the body was left out in the elements with bare metal. I think I got it in time before anything got really corroded and thinned, it all turns out to be surface rust with very little pitting(the roof is the worst,it looks as if it has freckles).I'll get pic's up tomorrow !

Nice! Keep it up! I need to start on my 510 soon as well!

Wow awesome find Daz thats awesome u live in victorville haha not that far from where i am, well good luck and show us some pictures :)

Where are you at ?

I picked up a new dash cap for $40 today ! My dad got new floor pans for $100 for his 260z ! We spent half the day in San Diego to get these parts, thank you Cali traffic

Edited by Daz

Lol just sent ya a PM

Nice the dash cap will make your car look much better instead, seeing all those nasty cracks or hairlines,

haha ya cali traffic is pain in the ass didnt think on a Saturday it would be too bad, so who is doing the wielding u or your dad?

Lol just sent ya a PM

Nice the dash cap will make your car look much better instead, seeing all those nasty cracks or hairlines,

haha ya cali traffic is pain in the ass didnt think on a Saturday it would be too bad, so who is doing the wielding u or your dad?

Yeah they 215fwy was had a bad accident near baseline so it was a crawl. I had to go thru the city to find a way around. He was going to ask my uncles when they come to visit(who know when thats going to be, they live in Panama). Do you know someone ?

• 3 months later...

Its been 3 months since I purchased my 260z and I've been working on it off and on. My plans for a rb25det swap are still active but I cannot afford it right now so I've been preparing the other things like: Brakes, floor pans, pedals(it auto for now). I've been sanding what ever surface rust I can find and covering it. Here are some pics:

a60937ed18.jpg

86e31d7740.jpg

8714733625.jpg

5d72f1051d.jpg

7ca92d1673.jpg

bc73e685f7.jpg

a90777d7b9.jpg

d9df6ac2f3.jpg

I have a Synergy Bushing kit on order as well as a 15/16 MC rebuild kit from JC Whitney. I would like coilovers but I'm a little skeptical about sectioning the struts. I'm also on the hunt for Z31 turbo cv axles and a LSD carrier to swap into the R200 that I have sitting here. I have Z32/RB tranny and Starion seat waiting too.

Edited by Daz

i just did my suspension, sectioned the front struts, dude if i can do it anyone can. if you have a chopsaw there is no reason you cant. i used a big pipe cutter (like a tube cutter) and that was a pain in the ass, it wanting to walk up the pipe but i think a chopsaw would be easiser. then i used 2 pieces of 1.5" (maybe 2 but i think 1.5) angle aluminum and clamped the tube inside those and tacked it.... worked great. i do have a tig and a mig so i used thte tig to weld up up but you can grind down a mig...

Thanks for the info on sectioning, it doesn't sound that bad ! How much section do you remove ? I was planning on some Bad dog from rails. I wish I knew how to weldand no access to a chopsaw either, but I might be able to get someone to do it for me.

roughly 2" or so. Really the overall length of the tube is the important part because that is how the gland nut tighens down on the strut. cut it a big on the long side and just through a washer under it and your golden if you miss judge the cut, but mine were fine. pretty much follow johnc's writeup in the FAQ. you can get a cheap chopsaw at harbor freight... you get what you pay for but if you dont have a need for a good one it will still do the job.

Thanks Man ! I think I'll pick up one of those chop saw's at Harbor Freight on payday, then I'll try it on the old strut's first to see how it goes. Do you have pics of yours ? What coilovers did you go with ?

• 2 weeks later...

i have ground control with tokico 5 way adjustable (techno toy tuning). i dont have good pics but there are a few. read the FAQ in the suspension section. the tokico are a tad smaller diameter than the koni ones (not to mention a lot more affordable). what i did with my top hats are in my build thread.

• 4 weeks later...

So now the front end is torn apart. Struts are off to be sectioned. I ordered the wrong size O.D. sleeves from Summitt Racing(sending back) but Techno Toy Tuning hook me up with the right size ones, upper hats, & lower perches. The QA1's look good and are 10" and rated at 175lbs. The sleeve's from Techno are 4" and should be here by the end of the week. I'll post pics when everything is here.

On a different note, I've been contemplating doing a LS1 swap instead of a RB20/25det. My dad has a LS1 longblock(less the intake manifold) and a LS-series 4.8 sitting at his house. I'm trying to weigh it out cause I'll still have to buy a T56 tranny which cost roughly the same amount as the RB, I already have a RB/z32tt tranny. I found a T56 in Vegas for $600 obo but will need a rebuild. I don't know !

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if I can use these KYB AGX ? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-Front-KYB-AGX-Adjustable-Shocks-1990-1995-Toyota-MR2-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZalgoQ3dLVIQ26ituQ3dUCIQ26otnQ3d3Q26poQ3dLVIQ26psQ3d63Q26clkidQ3d1355167850792809479QQ_trksidZp3286Q2em7QQitemZ160458990763#ht_660wt_842

I know they're not Illumina's and KYB are not the greatest but they are affordable and are better than the GR-2's and I won't be drifting or tracking the car anytime soon.

I was told to use tokico bz3125 for my fronts because I sectioned 2" but since these KYB AGX's are adjustable too and are for the same car and are cheaper, I would think they'd work !

I don't know !

Edited by Daz

• 2 weeks later...

So I received my KYB's and they look great. They should work just as the Illumina's but I sectioned my strut tubes too much(2"). Lesson learned: get struts first before sectioning. I picked up a pair of strut tubes from zguy240 for $50 to start over again. I'll post pics a little later.

• 3 weeks later...

Update !

I should be able to pick up my newly sectioned strut tubes tomorrow at work. In the mean time this is what I've been up to:

L26 coming out !

a068c.jpg

01523.jpg

Rattle can paint job !

61cfc.jpg

Cleaning, wire brushing, painting here !

4761d.jpg

Also I have decided to go Turbo LS-Series 4.8/6sp instead of the Rb20/25DET swap. My dad had the engine sitting at his house ready to assemble(already hot tanked, honed, & new Cam bearings installed) and after seeing some video's of that setup I couldn't resist. I am truely a Chevy man to heart ! I believe the 4.8 will be light enough for me to still be nimble and corner well and produce gobbs of whp/torque very easily. Now the quest for a T56 6sp tranny begins.

Oh Yeah, I gotta sell my RB/Z32 tranny now, anyone know what its worth ?

Edited by Daz

• 2 weeks later...

So here is were I'm at now ! I'm kinda done with the front end for now but I am a little concerned with the positive camber I have and the fact the it still pretty high. I know there's no engine or trans in it but I don't no what kind of a difference it'll make when I install them.

5797e.jpg

8495a.jpg

5f6ed.jpg

84d24.jpg

I score a JCI engine mount kit on ebay for $200 shipped last night so I that is on it way. I gotta start saving up for a t56 or tko 500 so by next year I can drop everything in.