HybridZ

How much did your salvage yard LS1/T56 cost?

I'm trying to gauge how much money I could expect to spend on a decent (under 100K mileage) LS1 and a T56 from a salvage yard. If eBay prices are a good indicator it looks like *just* the engine and transmission can be had for around $4,000 - $6,000 depending the make of the engine (i.e., a LS2 compared to an LS1). On the other side of the coin, it looks like you can buy a brand new complete LS1 crate engine from Summit for about $5800. A brand new T56 transmission from Summit seems to run around $2800.

I would interested to hear how much those of you with a Gen III/IV swap payed for your engine (and/or transmission) if it came out of a salvage yard. What's a reasonable price one can expect to spend? What mileage? Did you use a whole donor car or did you just get the engine and transmission? I'm sure everyone will have pretty variable numbers here, so the location where you bought the salvaged engine (and/or transmission) would also be useful to me as well (I'll probably pull my stuff from somewhere in the Portland, OR area, if I ever get back down there.).

Thanks.

I dont know much about LS1 prices but I heard from the local muscle car guys that a 6.3 l from a pickup or suburban can be had for cheap then you just get a LS1 intake manifold and voila LS1 on the cheap.

food for thoughts

$6500 for pullout 2006 GTO LS2/T56, 17,866 miles. In my area of Alabama, when a car comes into a salvage yard it is dismantled immediately. The LSx engines I could find in the warehouses of the salvage yards had all been stripped of all accessories: starter, alternator, wiring and had no pedals, computer, etc. And, I couldn't get any of the salvage yards to take a special interest in me and look for a car that I could get to before it was dismantled. The aftermarket motor and trans you refer to may not have any accessories either, so I didn't want to get nickled and dimed to death on parts of unknown age/mileage. It seems that everytime I try to save money, I wind up with something "cheap" that doesn't work. Prices have gone down just since I bought my engine-I'm seeing several packages for around $4k on ebay today. There are some issues with the GTO motor/trans that makes it more expensive to install than the F-body motor/trans. Add up the price of accessories, clutch, pressure plate, etc, and I think you will break-even when comparing a pull-out to piecing something together. Other guys will differ with me, but they are probably better mechanics and are willing to spend more time. For me, time and money are the same thing.

I paided $2500 for:

LS1/T56

Harness, Computer, and clutch master.

All accessories too.

Got mine on Craigslist.

I was searching for about 6 months day and night.

OP, Don't expect to find a deal like this. T56's go for 1200-1700 all day long, and LS1 longblocks with acc usually fetch around 2K. $3500 is reasonable. This guy ^^^ just got a steal. But I can lay testament to that as well, I have $1400 in my engine and tranny. The deals are out there, just look around!

1999 LS1 ~35K miles, T56, ECU, all accessories - $2500 (also a "I spent 6 months perusing forums for this" steal)

In fairness, it was missing three coilpacks, the MAF, and the clutch was smoked. So that was another $870 for everything. Did get a South Bend Stage II clutch, though, so it wasn't all bad.

I paid $3900 to shipped to my door for a 2002 LS1/T56 with 48,000 miles on it. All accessories, computer, pedals, maf, harness, and ecm. I also was searching for months until the right deal came along. Most I that I have seen on Ebay for the 01+ LS motors and T56 combos go for $4000+ not including shipping....so more like $4500 shipped

Some of you guys have gotten killer deals on your stuff... :twisted: I'm amazed that any one has gotten an LSx and T56 for anything less than $4k. That's awesome.

For those of you that ended up getting your engine and transmission of eBay, instead of from a local salvage yard... do you have any recommendations (other than the standard for eBay) to make sure you're getting a decent donor drive line?

Thanks for replying. The context is very helpful.

If you have the space for storage and the patience I would recommend purchasing a complete F-body car. Depending on your build objectives you can use many more pieces from the complete car. Much of what you don't use can be sold to recoup quite a bit of your cash outlay.

In my case I acquired a '99 unmolested <48,000 mile Camaro SS for $4500. It was a salvage title car, due to frame damage, that I located through the salvage portion of eBay. It was provided by a couple shady used car salesmen in Maryland. After approximately $100 in fuel I had a total of $4600 wrapped up in the car. For my project I am using obviously the LS1 & T56 but also the electric fans, cruise control, power steering pump and fluid cooler, A/C compressor and plastic fuel tank. I fully expect to sell enough of the remaining items to make this a net zero activity. It takes a LOT of work to completely part a car though.

Best of luck in your hunt.

Unfortunately, I neither have the space, time, nor inclination to deal with going through a whole donor car. I agree that if you use as much of your donor car as possible it's a really affordable (as much as it a SBC swap can be) way to go about doing an LS1/T56 swap. But maybe my circumstances will change, and if they do I'll certainly consider that option.

I think I'll just keep an eye on the LS1tech forums, once I'm finally ready to take the plunge.

Found a yard halfway accross the country through ebay buy it now, negotiated down to:

1999 LS1/T56 w/ 37,xxx miles, ecu, accessories, fan assembly, pedal etc... crated and shipped (liftgate) for $4,250.

Included a 90-day warranty that came and went without getting the motor unpacked, so they offered to extend the warranty until I get it fired up and confirm no major defects.