HybridZ

Why did you decide to stay with the Datsun L6 motor?

logan1

Now I can build that L24 powered 280ZX I've been dreaming of... :P

Probably not too bad of an idea in FP. 2.4L x .75 is 1,800 lbs but the class minimum is 1,900 lbs so that's your number. In autocross, total suspension travel in Prepared cars is generally no more then about 2" total so you can set the rear suspension where it needs to be to work the best.

You can make a 280ZX that can win in FP. Unfortunately the only proven driver that can win the class (JT) is not looking for a ride.

Found another reason why I want to stay with the L28. That thing sounds awesome hahaha. I took my zx up to my friend's shop to throw it on a lift and check over everything. The whole exhaust system is rusted and nasty and I learned about some other stuff that needs to be addressed fairly soon too. Anyways we cut the muffler off of it(which had tons of junk rattling around inside it) and wow. That car sounds pretty f'n sweet.

I know this isn't a great story compared to all the guys with crazy work done, but this is my first time ever building a car, ever having something I consider to be an awesome car, and doing any serious work. Pretty much, don't hate hahahaha I'm having fun.

Found another reason why I want to stay with the L28. That thing sounds awesome hahaha. I took my zx up to my friend's shop to throw it on a lift and check over everything. The whole exhaust system is rusted and nasty and I learned about some other stuff that needs to be addressed fairly soon too. Anyways we cut the muffler off of it(which had tons of junk rattling around inside it) and wow. That car sounds pretty f'n sweet.

I know this isn't a great story compared to all the guys with crazy work done, but this is my first time ever building a car, ever having something I consider to be an awesome car, and doing any serious work. Pretty much, don't hate hahahaha I'm having fun.

Yeah it does sound nice doesn't it. We've got a 6 into 2 header waiting to go. Soon we will have new dual exhaust (twice pipes) and dual mufflers (Cherry Bombs). I can only imagine that it will sound even better then.

I stayed with the L28ET that came in the car for a few reasons

-it sounds so freaking awesome

-it's turbo

-it just looks right under the hood

-and the best reason, because I spent a few hundred on fuel injection upgrade gear, and my 300 buddy gave me all the gear for the z31 upgrade

I ran with factory manifold, 2 feet of stock exhuast, and a turn down. So my entire exhaust ended before the shifter. Man I love the L series. It does sound a whole lot bigger then it is, until you hit 4K, then she sounds more like a small liter engine. Idle at 500RPM, *** yeh

In Germany, if you upgrade horsepower, you have to upgrade braking and provide engineering calculations to support the overall performance envelope of the vehicle is not compromised in an unsafe way.

Brake bias, okay. But no whether my car has 200hp or 800hp, from 90kph it will still stop in the same distance (assuming the everything else is the same). I'm guessing that upgrading my brakes and wheels and tires so it can pop your eyes out, but putting in a 10 hp single cylinder engine so you can block the road is "safe" in their mind?

Where's the logic? "Properly Engineered and Safe Upgrading"---there are cars running around on American Freeways that are rattling deathtraps, and when they unleash carnage everybody looks at who to blame...usually it goes to who they can sue and there the government simply says they will do what they can to prevent stipid modifications.

Yes, but most of the rattling death traps aren't car enthusiasts, at least from where I live. Where I live the types that drive heaps get drunk and kill 5 innocent people--and don't have insurance.

A bone stock VW Beetle chassis is not actually capapable of safely supporting the performance a 325HP engine will give...Doesn't stop me from making one. But should I be able to run it on the roads without a brake upgrade? In most of Europe (and Australia from what I understand), the answer is 'no'...

Well, I hope it never comes over the pond. We already have laws against exhibition of acceleration, reckless driving, etc. So, I should be able to drive my 8000hp VW beetle on the road as long as it is not driven in an unsafe manner--which again, is already against the law.

Realize how lucky some of us are to live in the USA for some respects of the automotive hobby. Many people have no clue how lucky they really do have it! :angry:

I realize, and will even more if I move to CA.

• 1 year later...

... because it let a rank amature upgrade his 280ZX to an L28ET easy swap and easy mods with more RWHP that he'll really need and learn a ton along the way instead of getting in over his head with a swap and fabrication beyond his abilities. Fast working car vs potentially fast project taking up space, eating money and collecting dust. Besides most of my other Z's have essentially the same engine..... and possibly a 510 I'm picking up - old school firewall hack L6 :)

My 240Z engine bay

post-6495-036672000 1348499606_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

First of all, I am a bit old school. That being said, I have grown to appreciate the wonderful design of the L-series engines. I am building a street car with a 3.1 stroker (which the long block is finished on the stand), but have been bitten by the racing bug, and have had a blast building a couple of budget L28 endurance engines. The last one is bone stock, runs SU's and made 178HP to the Wheels on a brand new Dynojet 24. The car that engine is in weighs 2,150 with a full tank of fuel, and is a kick in the ass to drive. These engines are brilliantly designed, tough as nails, and BELONG in our cars!

And that is all I have to say about that.