HybridZ

Why did you decide to stay with the Datsun L6 motor?

logan1

Why? Because you can run 1000Hp with the right turbo, thats why.

No way! That's impossible! :-D

I'm kinda surprised to see this back up and running again... So how about a new answer:

Because I'm a cheap bastard and purposely bought a S30 already with a L28ET because it makes more sense as a DD, easy to find comleted swap than a SBC. I can name of 10 other motors that interest me equally, but the only reason I don't have THOSE is that I haven't ever had more than $300 to drop into my car, if that even really. At the end of the day, when you're on a serious budget, the L28ET looks REALLY good. If I was pushing 1,000hp like jeff, I'd find something more economical/proven, but that's just me. I'm glad we have people like him pushing the limits.

Because I have two zeds (Zs for you North Americans) with L motors and a heap of spare engines and parts. Its so convienient if something goes wrong to just pop into the shed and grab a spare.

Better rephrase that North American blanket statement - it's zeds here in Canada as well ;P

Jeff isnt pushing any limits, he's merely revisiting what's previously been done.

Were he pushing limits, he'd be saying 1500hp, not 1000!

How bout the latest reason that just popped into my head: BECAUSE I HAVE 39 L-ENGINES IN MY STORAGE ALREADY!

Jeff isnt pushing any limits, he's merely revisiting what's previously been done.

Were he pushing limits, he'd be saying 1500hp, not 1000!

Oh come on Tony, you know that I know that breaking 4 digits on a L motor is old hat. I guess I could have added a bit more context, yes. So here it is: I'm glad we have people on HybridZ pushing the limits of what people think is possible when it comes to an individual/personally owned car/privateer on a solo budget. Jeff's car is far from receiving anything close to "race team" support, even when comparing to the grassroots world changers like Brock. If you think about it, it's pretty incredible what some people like Jeff have pulled off considering the support/funding comparison difference with teams in history, like electromotive.

Don't over-egg what Nissan provided, either. In the USA they basically gave these guys parts out of a sales budget.In Electromotive's case, Nissan steadfastly REFUSED to share engineering data on things like coolant flows or camshaft geometry.

It was all one in-house, in the cold. If you won, you got contingency money... Maybe a replacement block or transmission...

But development? Nissan didn't give the USA teams SQUAT! It was all reverse engineered.

Kinda stupid, if you think about it. Imagine what they could have one had details been shared even on basic items!

Don't over-egg what Nissan provided, either. In the USA they basically gave these guys parts out of a sales budget.In Electromotive's case, Nissan steadfastly REFUSED to share engineering data on things like coolant flows or camshaft geometry.

It was all one in-house, in the cold. If you won, you got contingency money... Maybe a replacement block or transmission...

But development? Nissan didn't give the USA teams SQUAT! It was all reverse engineered.

Kinda stupid, if you think about it. Imagine what they could have one had details been shared even on basic items!

Has any of the old Electromotive L28 turbo stuff been reverse engineered? They were making huge HP with 1980's technology.

I'm fairly new to the Z car scene, but it seems to me that the L6 motor is just cool! Motor swaps are all the rage and 2JZGTE, RB26DETT, SR20DET and V8 swaps abound for these cars. Seems at this point in time that the straight 6 is starting to become a rare breed and at least in my neck of the woods (and among the younger car guys) it doesn't seem that anybody is building L6 motors anymore!

I wanted to keep the car true to its roots and build a badass NA motor!