HybridZ

ID this Speedometer

LoneStarS30Z

• 2 weeks later...

I dont think so since the 240z speedo is cable driven and the 280z is electronicly read.

The 280z speedometer is cable driven. The mechanical drive is under that paper in the second picture.

The wiring plug for the lighting is probably different and possibly the mounting screw locations but I don't see why the 280z speedometer wouldn't work in a 240z with some modification. Might take a look at the trip meter reset knob thingy as well.

I've actually got my dash out at the moment and snapped a quick pic of it without the paper there.

If "lonestar" implies you are in Tx and in dfw, let me know, I've got a spare speedo I can throw in my car and you can see this one up close and if it would work in your car.

IMAG0122.jpg

Edited by 280zcar

Actually, after some very limited research... (looked for a 240z speedo on ebay)

Structurally, they look very similar. The 240z speedo mounts differently. It has two mounting studs through the metal backing plate. As far as wiring that I mentioned earlier, You could probably just swap your current harness onto the 280z speedo. The lights appear to plug in the same way. The only real thing that is noticably different is the small electrical box plugs into the back of the speedo in a different spot(red wire in below picture) but has the same wires and such. The trip reset control looks to be easily swapped from your 240z speedo as well.

DSCN9749.jpg

Edited by 280zcar

280zcar,

Thanks a ton for info, it never clicked in my head in my pictures the mechanical drive hookup was covered in paper. The trip reset is really no big deal to me, I just need the speedo to work properly in terms of lighting up and reading speed correctly. I'm sure I can figure out mounting and lighting, but actually reading speed was my biggest concern.

Also you guessed right, I'm from Duncanville, just on the southern border of Dallas. However I'm in Korea until May so unfortunately for me I couldn't reference the speedo in question to the set up in my 240z. The pictures I had posted above were from the seller.