HybridZ

Project 240Z

Well my screen name says it all, Ive recently moved back to California and i want to find a pre smog car that i can build with a newer drive train to make a fun street car. Just so happens an Aunt of mine has a 72 Datsun 240z, its not running so im pretty sure i can get it for a reasonable price. My plans are to do a budget build with an 87-89 Z31 drive train and Ive been looking and i can find donor cars for relatively cheap. A buddy of mine back in North Carolina made a pretty wicked lil 89 Z31 and thats kinda the inspiration for this build. Im hoping for roughly 400 hp to the wheels, so we'll see how it go's and i'll keep ya posted!

Im pretty sure sometime down the road if i ever get bored of the VG30 or if i break it, i'll end up in the V8 conversion section...

And learn how to use Google to search this website! The regular search is alright, but it has its limitations, just put "site:Hybridz.org" at the end of what your searching and your set. ;)

Happy Reading, and welcome to the forum.

PS: I know where you can pull the engine out of a Turbo Z31, its in New Mexico, and the guy has been trying to sell it Foreverrr...

And learn how to use Google to search this website! The regular search is alright, but it has its limitations, just put "site:Hybridz.org" at the end of what your searching and your set. ;)

Happy Reading, and welcome to the forum.

PS: I know where you can pull the engine out of a Turbo Z31, its in New Mexico, and the guy has been trying to sell it Foreverrr...

Realllllllyyy???? Sounds interesting, except i dont really feel like making a drive to new mexico...depends on how cheap he wants to sell it...Id rather get a hold of a parts car though, is he trying to sell it complete or just the motor?

$375 whole car minus a transmission. It's been on craigslist probably 6 months now... I contemplated going to pull parts off it, as its on my way to work... Nothing I really need though... Here's the link:

http://elpaso.en.craigslist.org/cto/2174996379.html

Arroyo Seco Raceway is a half hour away... you might be able to arrange something with the Arizona members on here, they go there every so often, might haul it that far back for you if you buy a tank of C16 and they have the space on a trailer. Just an idea...

Maybe I'm the only one that thought this but you said budget build and 400 horse and vg motor in like the same string of words. Your looking at modifying forced induction and that just isnt cheap at all... never... Not being a fan of cross overs, I would have to say two things, beware that 400 horse in a 2000lb car is a bit more than fun haha and you can get a swap kit for a v8 and reach that 400 horse goal for half the price of turbo v6 ... Maybe others have differing reasons but I myself was gonna buy a z31 for 400 bucks and try to make it a fun car but once you get past 83 not only does the aftermarket get smaller but it gets more expensive... My vote is make it rust free and drop a v8 in it and maybe watch a couple videos of z's with v8s and keep in mind that if you romp on it at highway speeds you might just be looking the opposite direction :D... Good luck with getting the car though! - and if your aunt doesn't give you the car that sucks and I'd go swimming around in your local barns and junkyards see what you can find.

Edited by gk666

Maybe I'm the only one that thought this but you said budget build and 400 horse and vg motor in like the same string of words. Your looking at modifying forced induction and that just isnt cheap at all... never... Not being a fan of cross overs, I would have to say two things, beware that 400 horse in a 2000lb car is a bit more than fun haha and you can get a swap kit for a v8 and reach that 400 horse goal for half the price of turbo v6 ... Maybe others have differing reasons but I myself was gonna buy a z31 for 400 bucks and try to make it a fun car but once you get past 83 not only does the aftermarket get smaller but it gets more expensive... My vote is make it rust free and drop a v8 in it and maybe watch a couple videos of z's with v8s and keep in mind that if you romp on it at highway speeds you might just be looking the opposite direction :D... Good luck with getting the car though! - and if your aunt doesn't give you the car that sucks and I'd go swimming around in your local barns and junkyards see what you can find.

I was never actually going to be given the Z, i was going to buy it from her, but she declined to sell it when i returned and then asked 3500 more than what we had oringinally spoke of which was 1500, basically she asked 5,000.

Its all original in decent shape but will need a tune up battery etc... its been sitting for a couple years...any thoughts of what its worth?

Its a 1971 240Z with a 4 spd manual, all original, decent interior, needs some paint touching up and like i said before a tune up, could someone give me some feedback of what is a reasonable price?

thanks guys

Edited by Project 240Z

Check for rust in all the usual places. Look at the stickies for more info, browse the site.

My thoughts are now that you voiced an interest in the car she is seeing an opportunity to make some money. Take a look around your area for cars in similar condition and make your case for the 1500. That sounds like a great place to start if its in good shape. Point out the flaws, running or not, rust spots and other things that it needs. Maybe she will come around to your side after a good chat. Start out putting the money on the table so she can see you are serious. ( I find having the cash in hand so they see it sweetens any deal)

Well the car you describe is pretty much worth upwards of 3 grand not seeing it... I would jack it up and take a hard look underneath... sadly your bound to find something to bring down the price, look at the tires check the shocks, look it the spare tire well and at the spare, tell her the chassis of these cars always seem to fall out of spec and it will need and alignment once you get the shocks... go overboard.