HybridZ

manual fuel pump compatibility 260z-280?

the-sleeper-z31

Ok, I just aquired a 1974 260z. unforuntunately, the engine had no compression on cylinders 1 or 2......

long story short, I pulled the carbed L28 out of my 1976 280z 2+2, and droped her in. My question is,

can i use the M/f/p off the L26/E88 on my l28/n42? did the cam gear still have the eccentric lobe on the

front of it?

If this solves anything for me, it will be saving a good valve cover gasket and not destroying it just to look.

thanx in advance

From what little I know of the other Z years, the 1974 260s came with both mechanical and electric fuel pumps, in series. Maybe your electric pump is still there. If not, at least the wiring and plumbing should be. Crawl under the car and look around at the front of the gas tank.

Simple answer: If it came with fuel injection, it will not have an eccentric on the cam to run a low pressure manual fuel pump.

This is incorrect, early N42's do have the eccentric! Even though they were 'EFI' motors, there were plenty of other applications (especially in the JDM) where they could go either EFI or Carb and would need the eccentric.

The only way to know is pull the valve cover and check. This does not 'destroy' the valve cover gasket. I have had my cover off with the stock Nissan Gasket now countless times without ever changing it, no leaks yet. Don't let that stop you. Chances are good that if the head does not have an open fuel pump boss on the front of the head, it won't have the eccentric. But if you got a head with a 'block off plate' on there, it may or may not have the eccentric.

Edited by Tony D

also any segestions for a carb? im running a 390 holley on a bob sharp racing manifold, six to one equal length header.

just seems like there is more power there that im not tapping into...

noisy Holley Red or Blue out back with regulation at the float bowl will work just fine.

Yep,... this particular 260 has both an inline pump at the back, and then the MFP on the head. I doo have a block off plate. And I tried to install the MFP on my L28/N42. it dosent seem like it wants to go all the way in there.??? like a 1/2 inch away.

anyways, checked the electric pump and got it working. f/p relay is bad so had to run a jumper wire. It pumps, but nothing comes out! also there is some sort of vent hose on the drivers side, on the very rear of the tank, that just spews gas out of it. this beautiful car sat since 1993 in north west washington. needless to say I have some work to do.

was wondering if the damper like object next to the fuel pump, and in line with it, would be stoping the pump from being anything more than a helper pump? my 280 uses the same pump... no thingy...... ???

the 260 had a bendix licensed pump that put out 3-4psi, the 280z used a bosch lic ensed pump that puts out 30+ psi, they are not 'the same'---if your 260 has a bosch pump out back, it's not from the factory. by 'damper thingie' do you mean the rear-mount fuel filter that came in the 260's? what about the internal fuel filter on the bendix licensed pump?

Have you downloaded the FSM for your vehicle yet, it gives specific instructions for installing the mechanical fuel pump, you have to compress the arm and fenagle a bit to get the rubbing block onto the cam eccentric, it may 'hang out'...