HybridZ

Why are Watanabes so expensive?

This is a pretty simple question... why are Watanabes so expensive? I really like their look... but $550 per wheels seems, well really, really expensive.

Is there a reason why they cost about twice as much as something like the Rota RBs?

Made in Japan...knockoff Chinese made stuff is very cheap! The thing that differs from Japan to the US where new parts are concerned is that whatever the manufacturer says is the suggested price, will be the price you pay. There's no getting a better deal through a wholesaler or discounts through a smaller place. The best I could ever get was 5-10% off msrp through a manager friend at Autobacs, when I was stationed in Japan. Even the discounted sales during Christmas was only 5% less! The only real great deal I ever got for new parts was when the manufacturer discontinued them & the stores would finally try to get rid of old stock. Got a sweet deal on a set of SSR's that I had been looking at for over 3 years, then got them for 50% off...still cost me about $1200 though!

I really like the look of the Watanabes, but for what they charge for them you'd think you'd end up with a lighter weight wheel in the end.

There are "better" wheel choices out there, but not many look as good. Also, when it comes to being a truly custom made wheel $550 isn't that expensive. The only exceptions I know of off the top of my head is something like Diamond Racing Wheels, custom made to whatever specifications you want, again the downside is weight, they're a steel wheel. Centerlines are also pretty lightweight, but to get a custom set, it'll run you $300/wheel, easy.

This is a pretty simple question... why are Watanabes so expensive? I really like their look... but $550 per wheels seems, well really, really expensive.

Is there a reason why they cost about twice as much as something like the Rota RBs?

I like HRE wheels...but at 1200-1500 PER WHEEL i simply cant afford em either. Welcome to the club.

even if they are cast =P.

This! As far as I can tell. They are basically just "Designer Wheels" and that the extra money you are paying is not for any technical merits but simply because they are Watanabes. I figured for around $500 a pop, they would be handmade of super-secret ultra-light, ultra-strong alloy by a master swordsman somewhere in the Mountains of Japan. :D

I'm just guessing, but I imagine the real reason they cost so much more than other wheels is: 1) they're made in Japan (kind of like the JDM parts obsession for the import crowd?), 2) the importation cost, 3) they *are* quality pieces of work, 4) the brand name and 5) limited supply, high demand.

I like HRE wheels...but at 1200-1500 PER WHEEL i simply cant afford em either. Welcome to the club.

I hear you. In my opinion, the Watanabes are perfect wheels for the S30. They just look like they belong to the car. BUT, there's plenty of other good looking wheels that cost half of that for a set. And there's no way I could square with spending an extra $1000 for "Designer Wheels" that are not better from a technical or performance standpoint. You could do a lot of other things to your car for $1000.

Edited by kce

^ are not some of the watanabe's magnesium?

Yes you can get Magnesium Watanabes but they are $$ but lighter about 2KG a rim for the 15x9

Magnesium wheels in R Type, sizing a price

http://www.rs-watana...jp/pay/mg8r.htm

Aluminum wheels in R Type, sizing a price

http://www.rs-watana...jp/pay/al8r.htm

Edited by NZeder

• 3 weeks later...

Watanabe came up with the design as far as I can tell. The Rota's are copies of that design. Rota makes wheels in huge quantity, Watanabe probably doesn't make too many wheels in comparison (I am actually surprised now that they can make them for that little). Rota told me it was costing $40,000 or so per new set of molds to make the Rota RB-R's in the size/offset we wanted. I assume this cost comes from safety testing, designing the mold, and then actually making the mold. This is why the group buy required at minimum 25 buyers.