HybridZ

Early 260z Alternator upgrade

If someone could point me in the right direction on this subject, I'm swapping my old worn out 260z 40amp alternator with a 70amp from a 280zx turbo.

I found these links:

240z Alt swap

http://datsunzgarage.com/engine/

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5996&highlight=alternator+swap

280z Alt swap

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/alternatorswap/index.html

I know it's not like the 280z swap since that alternator has a diode looking thing on the right side, so I'm probably going be using the 240z swap more as a blueprint.

I want to know if there is anything I'm missing or something I should be warned about. I'll be doing it tomorrow and will catalog the event(assuming everything goes well)

edit:Lurking around some more I know I need to (obviously) disconnect the external volt regulater [like in the 240z swap and the "shunt" (I don't know what that is) and rewire the T terminal to something with a diode in it.

I also called MSA to check if they had a kit, but it's only for a 240z alt, but they said it can be done pretty much by hand, just got to figure out which wires to connect to where.

Edited by BluDestiny

If your 260 has an ammeter, it will probably be like the 240Z and need the diode. The MSA plug might even work. If it has a voltmeter, then the 75-77 280Z conversion would probably work. I don't know when they switched, but I think the ammeter is what determines the need for the diode.

You could compare wiring diagrams to be sure you get the wire colors right, if you don't want to test the individual wires.

If you go to zcarcreations.com and click on the voltage regulator upgrade link on the left column. It takes you to a write up with pics. The diode is needed because the engine will not turn off when you turn the key off. The diode keeps the system from back feeding and eliminates the run on issue. You shoul use the 240z wiring digram because yours is an early 260z. Late model 260s wiring is closer to a 280z. I have a late model 260, I left my shunt alone. Its a big rectangle box on the right inner fender near the alternator.

• 3 months later...

Hi im in the of wiring up my l28et swap and i canme across this thread talking about the shut off issues of the swap using the stock alternators. I figured i might as well tackle this issue before i continue to wiring everything up. I've been reading through the forums and i saw the link for the 280z to 280zx alternator swap guide, since i have a late model 260z(11/74) i figured that guide would most fit my needs.My question is, that im going to be using the 70a ZXT alternator if i follow the guide thats on atlantic Z should everything work, or do i have get rid of the interlock as previously stated in the thread?

I eliminated the interlock on mine. I did this because at the time i was changing everything over with zx parts. I installed the FI and FI wiring harness from the zx into my 260z.

Did you zcarnut's method in the link http://forums.hybrid...ap/#entry336351 . and was your car a late model 260z?

Ok so i took pictures of my late model 260z engine bay.This the connector i have coming from the shunt. SP_A0161.jpg

this is what the connectors look like from under the shunt male and female. it is different from what the guides on zcarcreations and atlanticz have on the guide.SP_A0164.jpg

SP_A0166.jpg

the wire colors on the connector are white, yellow , black, black and white, and another white one i think (the previous owner spray painted black over EVERYTHING in the engine bay). Which wires do i need to splice together and on which end (male or female). there is a connector similar to the to ones on the guides but it is up by the alternator coming out of the main harness.SP_A0163.jpg

Edited by cd1105

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...