HybridZ

RB26 head removed and found this!

RB26240Z

The car has a stock bottom end. N1 oil and water pump, metal H/G, single turbo - gt4088r.

The car was being tuned at shop. During the first run, I heard metal noise (sort of broken metal pieces in a can)around the valve cover,tuner shut the car off immediately, I took the valve cover off did not see anything. Decided to tear it down to avoid further damage. Brought the car home, engine out and head removed, I noticed metal debris inside the headers when removing it. Turbo spins fine nothing in there.

When I removed the head, here is what I found. Pretty much on every cylinder, more on 2,3,4,5.

anyone seen this before?

post-501-093545900 1297808910_thumb.jpg

post-501-072378000 1297808932_thumb.jpg

post-501-045915500 1297808961_thumb.jpg

post-501-056365100 1297809002_thumb.jpg

post-501-074398200 1297809038_thumb.jpg

post-501-061553300 1297809063_thumb.jpg

Edited by RB26240Z

Im going to have to say that is FOD (foreign object damage). The marks are to square edged to be detonation. Detonation is pretty much always domed in shape. Also the fact that you had stuff in the exhaust points to something being in the cylinders. Had you had intercooler piping welded up and some slag could of broken off and gotten into the cylinders? Or are you running an open intake on the turbo that you could of sucked something in?? Just my experience.

I'm 100% positive it's detonation.

OK, maybe I should have said "caused" by detonation......... :redface:

I still believe it's detonation the OP/tuner heard,, and was the cause of the damage shown to that head.

I can assure you the ring lands are collapsed to some degree on at least one of those pistons.

Edit:

After looking at the pics enlarged, it appears to be pieces of valve guides, and ring lands / rings scattered around the chambers.

Post those pics up on the Australia RB sites and see what they have to offer. I'm sure that is a image that has been seen often.

Yes, I did get her running recently (January), and yes, that's pretty much what I've been having is tough luck with this thing. It's been almost 9 years and I am pretty sick of it already. If its not one thing it's the other.

I spent waaaaay too much money on it to just get rid of it, and can't find the motivation to go forward and do a complete rebuilt.

Upon further inspection and clean up, I got some samples of the pieces on the pistons and the head. (1st photo) They are aluminum, and looks like they are pieces of the head/quench area, and the pistons.

Here are some photos of parts taken off, (to go back on, soon, hopefully).

post-501-013451200 1297906414_thumb.jpg

post-501-061078600 1297906439_thumb.jpg

post-501-004749900 1297906468_thumb.jpg

post-501-053685900 1297906500_thumb.jpg

post-501-038778700 1297906523_thumb.jpg

Yes, I did get her running recently (January), and yes, that's pretty much what I've been having is tough luck with this thing. It's been almost 9 years and I am pretty sick of it already. If its not one thing it's the other.

I spent waaaaay too much money on it to just get rid of it, and can't find the motivation to go forward and do a complete rebuilt.

I felt the same way after my build was trashed by a negligent driver after driving it about as many times as you can count on one hand. It'll work out man, just take a little break from it for a while.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree with the detonation analsys

Remember detonation is an erratic form of combustion that apart from causing head gasket failure also is wel capableof causing other engine damage.

Detonation occurs when excessive heat and pressure in the combustion chamber cause the air/fuel mixture to autoignite. This produces multiple flame fronts within the combustion chamber instead of a single flame kernel.

When these multiple flames collide, they do so with explosive force that produces a sudden rise in cylinder pressure accompanied by a sharp metallic pinging or knocking noise. The hammer-like shock waves created by detonation subject the head gasket, piston, rings, spark plug and rod bearings to severe overloading.

And yes the pictures shown look allot like sever detonation.. and it is consistent with the sound heard (metal knocking) Not FOD 9 though the pieces knocked of by the detonation might cause "FOD" but sure as hell this is caused by leaning out big time.

Sorry to see it.. but that one will need a complete rebuild (check your bearings aswel)