HybridZ

Should I buy a 77' 280z?

Guest tymarbry

Guest tymarbry

Hello all

Im new to this forum and I have a question that I have already posted on my native forum at "Club4ag.com".

I have a problem. I currently own a 1986 Corolla GTS which is a really nice RWD toyota which is famed in various motorsports, including drifting.

And I want to know if I should sell it so that I can purchase a 1977 Datsun 280z I found which seems to be in pretty good condition.

The thing is I love my Corolla, alot. But I also love S30's quite a bit and have never owned one. Please dont be biased on the decision because I do want to make a good decision after all. I know this forum is dedicated to Z cars but I just want some good options/opinions.

I just want to know what the opinions are and what I should be on the lookout for when contemplating a purchase of an datsun like this.

I want to know what problems to be aware of I guess.

Thanks all.

Below is a pic of my baby.

5184660937_0eda9c564f_b.jpg

4509975712_c10bb13ef3_b.jpg

I picked up a 45000 mile all original old lady owned 86 AE86 Hatchback, GTS, for 300 bucks. Sold it five months later for a good bit more, and have sorely regretted it ever since then.

KEEP THE COROLLA.

They're getting incredibly difficult to find. Z chassis aren't especially difficult, or expensive to find. It goes along the lines of "Everyone has owned or knows someone that has owned a Z". I know of one local, mint interior, rust free shell for 500 bones that needs nothing but an engine dropped in and a motivated driver.

Just an example of how easy these cars are to find, if you aren't too picky.

Keep the HachiRokku. Give me the license plate...

You are looking at 10 years more wear, 10 years more neglect, and a totally different parts set.

Don't make it an either-or question. They are different cars, and perform different functions.

I was in Japan in the 80's when that car was new, and at that time it was a battle with the S30 for the Togue, the S30's being the dominant 'standard setter' at the time. Proven reliable and plenty of R&D to back them up in the aftermarket.

I'd not exchange one for the other.