HybridZ

Audi RS4 4.2L V8 motor swap into a 240Z

chrismiller5157

A few streets down in my subdivision there is a 07 Audi RS4 sitting in a residents drive way. It's been sitting in the same spot for nearly 2 years.

What a SHAME, i think to my self. So I got the idea to ask why its never driven. Turns out a while back hurricane Ike came through our area and the car was in Houston at the time as was complete submerged in water and the insurance totaled the car. This guy also has 2 audi R8's and is a audi fan.

He crotch the car and took a huge lose.

I asked him what he was going to do with it and he wants to get ride is it more or less part it out for what he can. Since he has the R8's I guess he's satisfied.

I asked him to sell me the motor, witch he said yes to. 5k is what he wants & has 21,000 miles on it.

I have researched a lot over the motor and its a nasty motor, but never have I come across a swap into a s30 using this motor.

Any help and thoughts here would be helpful.

That's a relatively new engine, so I doubt you'll find anyone swapping them in to different cars. For the price, it seems like a very solid engine, though. I would be somewhat worried about fitment considering it is a quad cam V8, but it may be workable. Good luck!

Fitting the motor was my first consurn, ill have to try and dig uo measurements.

Long with the idea of the transmission fitting, or I could even use it with it being for a AWD 4 sedan and all.

I did however find a guy that dropped a 5.0 audi v8 in his s30, but it was a you tube video not a actual post.

I'm assuming the best course of action at this point is to a reasonable price for the motor given its current unknown condition.

You right 5k for basically a mystery motor is a lot to ask for. I have been measuring my engine bay ant it seems that the motor will fit but, the headers will need to be moded or custom ( that alone is not going to be cheap at all).

Looks like I really am going to have my work and research cut out for this swap to even be remotely capable, but non the less anythings possibly.

This sounds like a really interesting swap. I am becoming a bigger fan of German motors (still not a huge fan of the cars themselves) the more I learn about them. The timing chain/assembly in that picture is scaring me, though.

I was actually thinking about buying the N52B30 from a wrecked 330i to see if I could shoe-horn it into my Miata, I know a RB25 and a 2JZ will fit.

Yes, I own a 240Z and I own a Miata. No, I'm not *** or a communist.

all types of v8s have been stuffed into the s30 bay and this would be a new addition if you do it. see if you can get that ecu checked or get the price for the replacement before purchasing the motor. If its shot you can use the replacement cost to chip away at the selling price. good luck

If you've ever had the pleasure of working on one of these (or any Audi built in the last 10 years, really), or had to pay someone else to do it, I think you might want to rethink this choice. There are many, many other ways to get more power for less money. I love engine swaps as much as the next guy. In fact 5 of my 7 current cars are swapped. Just because it hasn't been done doesn't mean you should take on the challenge. Realistically, I could see this swap costing $20K to complete. Is it worth it to you?

As much or more so than the ECU, think about the wire harness: you're going to want the factory engine harness, too. And, it helps to have it in working condition, so that you can simply modify it to fit your swap, much better than having to make one from scratch. That could be toast due to water intrusion.

In any case, if you've got the money to do something unique like this it would be amazing. Like I said before, I think the newer BMW engines would be a fun swap, too.

Well found out (from Audi) that the ECU is dead.

A new Audi OEM ECU is right over 3k.

Water in the cylinders is s huge consurn to me, I truly do want to have to rebuilt the motor, & with my stroker 240z still under going its track/street build, my father and I don't want to invest 30K into a project like this, the idea was 15K give or take.

This may bot be happening.

Voice your concerns to the guy and get the price dropped down. If you can grab that engine for $1k or so then why not. If the guy doesn't want to budge then let the car sit there until he's tired of looking at it and try again. If he's any sort of car guy, I'm sure he'd rather see the engine put to use instead of getting crushed. I don't know if that engine has direct injection, if not, then why not go with a standalone ECU and your own wiring harness. It will likely be cheaper and easier than adapting the Audi ECU to run the engine in another car.

Two R8s? It's not like he needs the money. Good luck!

I havent been playing with my z much lately. Bought an original Quattro and have been getting that in good working order. During this proces I have meet a talented audi guru who is putting one of these engines in a early audi 90 chassis. Going to use a vems ecu to run it. I have helping out when I get the chance. I think its a cool engine.Light and not very large. I am pretty sure you could adapt just about any trans to it. They sound wicked for sure!

Douglas

Just checked and the '07 RS4 engine does have direct injection, in which case you can run a standalone ECU, it will just be more expensive. I think an aftermarket ECU is still the way to go here, as Douglas points out, if you decide to tackle this one.

There are VERY few standalone ECUs that can control direct injection (FSI). I think Adaptronic is the only one that has that engine up and running unmodified. A swap like this would not be a task for the faint of heart!

And if you managed to get a working stock ECU, you would still have to contend with a drive-by-wire throttle.

Even though this is a great-sounding high-revving quad cam V8, I would suggest giving it a pass.

If you absolutely want an Audi V8, I suggest sourcing an Audi V8 (that's the actual model of the car) from 1990-94 (I think). The vast majority of them out there seem to be 90-91s. They had 3.6L V8s, and the later ones 4.2s. Still neat motors, and they're pretty much free. You can find whole cars with bad trannies or hydraulics for under a grand. They have conventional port injection and can be run off a standalone easily, if you don't want the stock ECU.