HybridZ

Audi RS4 4.2L V8 motor swap into a 240Z

chrismiller5157

I havent been playing with my z much lately. Bought an original Quattro and have been getting that in good working order. During this proces I have meet a talented audi guru who is putting one of these engines in a early audi 90 chassis. Going to use a vems ecu to run it. I have helping out when I get the chance. I think its a cool engine.Light and not very large. I am pretty sure you could adapt just about any trans to it. They sound wicked for sure!

Douglas

I have an urQ too. Neat cars!

Are you sure he's swapping in an FSI 4.2 V8 from an RS4? The S4 of the same year was not FSI.

There are VERY few standalone ECUs that can control direct injection (FSI). I think Adaptronic is the only one that has that engine up and running unmodified. A swap like this would not be a task for the faint of heart!

And if you managed to get a working stock ECU, you would still have to contend with a drive-by-wire throttle.

Even though this is a great-sounding high-revving quad cam V8, I would suggest giving it a pass.

If you absolutely want an Audi V8, I suggest sourcing an Audi V8 (that's the actual model of the car) from 1990-94 (I think). The vast majority of them out there seem to be 90-91s. They had 3.6L V8s, and the later ones 4.2s. Still neat motors, and they're pretty much free. You can find whole cars with bad trannies or hydraulics for under a grand. They have conventional port injection and can be run off a standalone easily, if you don't want the stock ECU.

The swap is definitely for someone that knows what they're doing. I think one of Electromotive's TEC systems handles DI as well, as do other fairly expensive standalones.

The Audi V8 is a great suggestion, those are nice engines and it would definitely be a more do-able swap. You've got me thinking now. Just need to figure out a manual transmission that would work with the engine, as I'm not very familiar with Audis. I did have an '89 100 however, it was an interesting car.

Update-

Well, the owner and I have been talking nearly every dat for the past week. He is getting the car picked up and towed to our local Audi dealer in Houston on Wednesday, and hw is having the techs look the motor and mechanics over for the run down over what's completely toasted and salvagable. Seems that if I don't end up buying the motor that he made so something with (go figure......).

Yes has 2 Audi R8's. Ones red the other silver.

The silver one is truly track preped and sounds !!Insane!! Guy has money, witch is why its wired to Mr that he has let this RS4 go to complete &*$@...I mean this is a limited production audi and pretty rare, in witch I have never seen one on the street...hw claims the R8s keep him distracted for theRS...lucky him.

Yes the trany is going to be interesting....resurching as much as my eyes and brain can handle, scrolling throughout audi forums has helped a lot.

The swap is definitely for someone that knows what they're doing. I think one of Electromotive's TEC systems handles DI as well, as do other fairly expensive standalones.

I cannot emphasize this enough. Even Motec and Pectel (two of the top players in the engine management game) do not offer direct injection solutions. Electromotive most certainly does not.

Do NOT swap in this RS4 engine until you have nailed down the engine management issue. You can't just convert an FSI engine to port injection either, so keep that in mind too.

This is true.

I cannot emphasize this enough. Even Motec and Pectel (two of the top players in the engine management game) do not offer direct injection solutions. Electromotive most certainly does not.

Do NOT swap in this RS4 engine until you have nailed down the engine management issue. You can't just convert an FSI engine to port injection either, so keep that in mind too.

Turns out that I definitely misread direct ignition control as direct injection control when I was reading over the TEC3 stuff!

Hi Guys,

The one we are playing with is an earlyer 4.2. Not Fsi. Had a bit of a play around with it on Sunday. Becuase the car is right hand drive the throttle body runs into the brake booster. Mike, Whose car it is, Works at a place that specilizes in cnc cutting so he is making up plates so that we can mount 2 pairs of toyota quad throttle boddies onto it. This is turning into a interesting project. As for transmissions, Have a look at any aplication where the audi 5 cylinder drove the rear wheels. i think a lot of the VW vans were like this( we dont see them in this part of the world...so not sure). I belive there was also a time when Volvo used the five cylinder VW/Audi desiel in one of there RWD cars. Thats worth looking further into as well.

Cheers,

Douglas

For any Audi transmission fit/compatibility issues, you need to know this guy:

Scott DeWitt at http://www.advancedautomotion.com

It's what he does. He's got a very good reputation in the Audi community. And he's only 200 miles away from the OP in Corpus Christi.

No affiliation, couldn't pick him out of a lineup, etc.

• 1 year later...

I have been looking at the 2.7tt to fit the S30, but turbos would have to be relocated.

Really like the idea of using a audi engine in the Datsun, but I am from europe :)

Also the R36 from Passat would be nice. Short engine and 300 hp :)

I have a Audi A4 B4 with a 3.2l from Golf in it with turbo, the sound it just great !

I have been looking at the 2.7tt to fit the S30, but turbos would have to be relocated.

Really like the idea of using a audi engine in the Datsun, but I am from europe :)

Also the R36 from Passat would be nice. Short engine and 300 hp :)

I have a Audi A4 B4 with a 3.2l from Golf in it with turbo, the sound it just great !

2.7TT. mmmmmm. I like that engine. I've tuned a couple to 700 AWHP, and many over 600. A couple converted to big single turbos.... You can do whatever you want, as long as you are/have someone who can do your manifold/pipework.

So Gollum remind me of this thread and that i never posted the info on the RWD Transmission adapter for V A G(Audi/VW) excluding the VR6's. I found this on another forum for hybrid guys like us but focusing more on Audi/VW cars, what i gather from a quick glance over the thread again this is a bellhousing that bolts a T5(ford) to a *** motor, is SFI rated for around $600 but you would have to "custom order" clutch with the ford spline and Audi Hub. They say that miata guys do this all the time but i don't know for sure about that, anyway heres the link to the thread on the other forum:

http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=38205&hilit=rwd+abz

And heres the link to the company who makes it, and the listing for adapter that i believe they are talking about:

http://prestoliteperformance.com/drivetrain/bellhousings/bellhousing-volkswagon-audi-muncie-jerico.html

One last note, looking at the description of the the bellhousing, it says it does fit the VR6's so maybe they have added that since the thread was last touched on.

Edited by KillerBjt