HybridZ

Trying to keep stock diameter on 16x8 wheels...

So, I have 225/50 all around on my 16x8 0 offset XXR 513s. '77 280Z. I'm going off a 195/70, 14x6 stock wheel and tire size.

Now that I have lowered the car, it rubs on the rear somewhat bad on bumps. I am not rolling my fenders. I would rather buy different tires.

It also rubs now, since lowering, on the front on full lock, but I haven't looked to see where.

So, with trying to keep the stock tire diameter in mind, what tires should I get next?

I've looked at 205/50, but apparently that will look quite stretched. I saw on one forum that 205/45 would be better. But that's got a smaller sidewall, and would make my speedo somewhat inaccurate. If that'll fix it, then I get them, but can anyone point me to a solid reference for recommended tire sizes for various wheel widths--and be safe? I'd rather have some tire left to protect the wheels...

I've looked at tyre-stretch.com to get an idea. They don't seem to have anything bigger than a 205/45 to look at.

Edited by BLOZ UP

i took a std +1 conversion tire; 205/60/15 as the base. then added in 3 16" sizes, 225/50, 205/45 & 205/50. if you read the bottom row 'diameter diff' you'll see in red color font that the 45 aspect is not recommended as it exceeds 3% difference from 'stock'. you'll also see that either of the 205's are too narrow for an 8" wheel, max rcomd is 7.5.

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp?action=submit

Edited by 1 tuff z

Looks like I'm going to stretch a 205/55 a little bit to get it on the 8" wide wheel. Not "recommended", but from what I googled, should be fine. Doesn't really look stretched all that much either. Plus, tire selection goes way up with that size. Must be a common OEM size for 7".

A 205/50/16 will not look too stretched on an 8" wheel, it also depends on the tire manufacture, some 205's are wider than others. A good compromise would be to find a manufacture that makes a fairly wider 205 so that the stretched look is minimized.

Good luck and let us know which tire you use.

I found my BFG Comp TA KD tires on the same rims 16x8 with the 225/50-16 only rub lightly in the rear lip (280Z, 1" drop). The particular BFG tire seems to run a narrower tread in the 225 spec. The tires look a bit stretched. Maybe a 205 BFG would run a bit narrower still.

See how they roll in a little at the treads....and they are 225's

139592466_HyWFL-M.jpg

Edited by cygnusx1

post-1233-036949400 1299337996_thumb.jpg

'77. Lowered with Tokico springs (went down 1.5-2.0"). 225/50-16x8 BFG g-Force T/A KDW (Series 1).

I'm not really considering 215 widths since I'd rather be sure and get 205s. My 225s look a lot wider than yours, though. I guess it really does vary between manufacturers. However, it really only rubs a little. Ugh. I want to get as wide as I can, but I don't want to waste money on tires that end up just rubbing again.

• 1 year later...
'77. Lowered with Tokico springs (went down 1.5-2.0"). 225/50-16x8 BFG g-Force T/A KDW (Series 1).

Im upgrading the suspension on my '77 280z and looking at lowering it ~2". I'm looking at Tokico illumina shocks with ground control coils. BLOZ UP (or anyone else who has something similar) it would be helpful to know what kind of setup your running? It would also be helpful if you could include part numbers and if you did any strut mods.

After suspension is done, I plan to run some 16x8 XXR 521 w/ 225/50-16 tires or maybe go with a smaller tire to get a slightly stretched look.

What exactly is the reason against rolling the lip a little? I didn't see it mentioned.

Why would you want to spend more money on tires that may or may not work, and cause more problems, when rolling your wheel arch lips is free, fast, easy, and generally unnoticeable? Also you can fit a slightly wider range of tires and wheels when done.

Not trying to come off in a negative way, just want to know the reasoning.