HybridZ

Fuel cell or modded tank, and what's a good budget?

MazterDizazter

I'm L28ET-swapping my '73 Z, and I am torn between modifying the stock fuel tank with a sump (http://www.jegs.com/i/Jegster/550/40793/10002/-1) or cutting out the spare tire well and welding in a cradle for a fuel cell (say, 15 gallons). I think that the sump will cost less overall, but the cell can be mounted higher up and further forward for more ground clearance and better weight distibution. Who has experience with either and can give me an idea as to how much I should budget for this conversion? Any and all help is appreciated; thanks!

Agreed. The cell will add weight and complexity that isn't needed. A surge tank is pretty easy to do and much simpler.

FWIW, when I hear "weight distribution" I think road racing, and for that you really don't want the tank higher up due to the higher cg. You might want it higher for drag racing as that might in theory transfer more weight to the rear axle, but the weight is already in a pretty good spot for drag racing, so the bigger issue is keeping the fuel separated from the passenger compartment, something a lot of drag racers don't seem too concerned with.

Edited by JMortensen

I had a sump added to my stock tank. I like it because it's less complex than adding a surge tank, at least for my setup with the big azz A1000 pump and big pipe required. One pump vs. two, one tank vs. two. Simpler plumbing, etc. I was also worried about fuel temperature with a small surge tank (small enough to fit under the car). Not sure if the temperature issue is real, it's just what I read somewhere...

We've been road racing our 240z with the stock tank and no problems. We can get down to about two gallons without starving in the turns. So far, we have not found the need for a surge tank or a sump. We will eventually move into a fuel cell because of VARA rules. A new VARA legal fuel cell is around $800.

why do u suggest a surge tank not a sump? is it due to keeping the stock fuel pump?

What would you recommend for a swapped car (v8) with aftermarket pump (aeromotive A1000 for instance ;) )

The surge tank is cheap. The fuel cell is expensive. The fuel cell is heavy, stock tank is light. The labor to install a cell is pretty substantial. The labor to install a surge pump is pretty minimal. Filling the tank is easier with the stock tank.

After installing a cell, the only way I'd suggest it for someone else is if they have to have it by the rules. Without rules requiring the cell, I would avoid it if at all possible. The only thing the cell does better is protect you in the event of a crash, and having been rear ended in a Z by a car that never saw me and hit the back of my car at 50 mph, I'd say that the safety aspect is overrated. YMMV.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Uhh... OK.

Here's another post from me on the same subject which I think is a little more descriptive: I don't think there is a law against fuel cells, certainly a lot of drag racers use them on cars that get driven on the street. Personally I would avoid a cell at all costs unless it was necessary with the body you're racing with. My cell is 20 something lbs heavier than the stock tank, so just installing the cell will make my car slower. If you don't have a firewall between you can the cell, then you run the risk of spraying fuel into the passenger compartment if you get rear ended or have a rollover. Not to mention the stink in the car when you dribble a little gas filling it up. If you do the remote filler to the stock location, that makes the cell a lot more liveable day to day, but it becomes much harder to separate the cell from the passenger compartment. Then there is the cost of the cell and plumbing it. The only upside to a cell is that you can run larger fuel lines. Aside from that, there is no other benefit except the crash worthiness of the cell itself. Having been in a 72 Z that was rear ended at 50+ mph and seen that the tiny amount of fuel that leaked went outside the car, I just don't think it's a smart way to spend money. I'm sure others will disagree, but that's my $.02.

• 2 weeks later...