HybridZ

Whats needed to go distributorless??

Im just think of ways to clean out my engine bay and im thinking about going distributorless but i dont know exactly what needs to be done? Does it need different computer manag. or am i over thinking things? :blink: I just wanna know whats needed and what needs to be done. Thanks!!

• Administrators

The simplified answer: You need an engine position sensor (many types/kinds), a means of processing it (many methods), and of course the actual coils (lots of potential choices). That's the minimum.

One example, Megasquirt with the right code, used with a Ford EDIS module & trigger, and matching coil pack. This is one of the least expensive paths.

Another example would be an Electromotive HPV-1.

There are many many ways to 'get there'. Depending on you're priorities, skills, and budget, it can be fairly simple or quite involved. If you can give us an idea of what you're after, I'm sure the list can be parsed down to something less daunting.

• Administrators

If you aren't comfortable with computers and have no desire to learn, I'd recommend staying away from Megasquirt.

If you want to avoid computers altogether, the HPV-1, or SDS EFI will do the trick. Spend some time googling those two.

Some of the aftermarket EFI systems are dead easy to use (in terms of the interface) and most any system these day's can run DIS. Some of them play well with the L28ET distributor (for an engine position sensor), making it nearly a bolt on. Here is one example, with GM coils...

MikeHintzCAS.jpg

MikeHintzCoils.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • Administrators

In terms of 'how', it's pretty straight forward. A Wolf3D EMS drives the 6 GM coils directly (no ignitor needed). Wire up one channel per coil. The L28ET sensor is wired directly to Wolf's trigger input, with one additional hole added, making the disc a 6+1 wheel. KTM covered this fairly well here... http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/59666-wolf-v500-ems-installation-guide/

Coil bracket, part numbers, and schematic here... http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/61802-l6-dis-brackets-lsx-coils-now-available/page__p__570261__hl__dis__fromsearch__1#entry570261

Many standalone EMS's will do this, including Motec, Haltech, Vi-Pec, etc.