HybridZ

Storing a SBC?

Here's the deal, my project is taking long then I thought. My engine is built sitting on a stand. I keep it covered, no carb so the intake is taped up, there's fresh oil in the pan and on the rockers.

What else should I be doing to not have issues when its time to fire it up?

Thanks Brian

temporarily remove spark plugs and squirt a few tablespoons of marvel mystery oil into each cylinder and spin the engine over by hand to lube and coat the upper cylinders with oil to reduce rust and then replace the plugs finger tight, back off the rockers so the valve springs and valve train are not under load. tape the exhaust ports with duct tape, and place a few taped garbage bags or a decent engine storage bag around the engine to reduce rust forming. place the engine stand in a fairly dry and well ventilated area.

Edited by grumpyvette

Here's the deal, my project is taking long then I thought. My engine is built sitting on a stand. I keep it covered, no carb so the intake is taped up, there's fresh oil in the pan and on the rockers.

What else should I be doing to not have issues when its time to fire it up?

Thanks Brian

I would do what grumpyvette said but also I would loosen up the rockers to keep the valve springs from being loaded. Could make them loos there tension. At least that is what I did with my alky engine when I stored it for a 1 1/2 years.

John

Edited by jnjdragracing

• 2 weeks later...