HybridZ

What happens when 100" of snow melts

cygnusx1

You put the UGL in ugly with the pink! Yeah I thought about keeping the water for the lawn in the summer time...I just kind of wanted my basement back. I will look into the AGL. How does it do as a garage floor paint? I could kill two birds if it would work in both areas?

Edited by cygnusx1

Sometimes wondered how you North Americans got on with your basements and keeping water out, now all has been revealed. The only basements in AU are under high rise commercial buildings which seem to get flooded now and then, mostly we have above ground structures which have the dual advantage of potentially getting both flooded and blown away :)

Don't think the UGL would necessarily make a good 'garage floor' paint. Not really meant for traffic, and you can get a great two-part epoxy for the garage that will shine and be durable as hell cheaper I think.

Usually the basements are installed because in the north your footings have to go down 2 feet below frost line, and that can be minimiuim 48" in some places...so here you got a minimiuim 6 feet of footing......why not add a couple of courses of block, pour a slab (or dont!) and then have a full 8' height area to put all your utilities, run ducts for heat, etc...

In places with groundwater, usually there won't be basements. Like I mentioned our place built by August Mussolf (is that German or what?) in 1947 was unique to the neighborhood in that it was the only one with a basement! The sump pump would work all the time on and off. There was no sealing attempt but the walls were painted as was the floor. The paint stopped in the drains, so I'm thinking it was ersatz sealant. Probably some good lead-based paint that is illegal now...

The UGL is a more recent paint. I painted the inside of my septic tank here in CA with it, and they referred to it as 'pool paint' go figure!

Living underground is good. Coober Pedey is a good example in your country! Where it's HOT or Humid, people love basements. Nice and cool, consistent temperature, I'd live in a basement and rent the house if it wasn't for the noise transfer. Some people call me a troll, but I don't think this comes from my subterranian propensities... B)

Edited by Tony D

1/2 of my house is on stone wall over a shallow dirt crawl, from 1926. The main floor beam is a pine tree trunk. The small 1990 extension is over the 7' basement of poured concrete with footings below frostline (the flood zone). The 1000sq-ft extension I did, 8 years ago is partially post and beam on concrete pads where it ties in to the original house, and poured footings with parged 16" block on the new footprint. The new crawl space is covered with rat slab over Visqueen which is a rough basic form of concrete over plastic sheets simply to hide the dirt and act as a vapor barrier. I ran weeping tile around the whole house but that won't help when the water table rises. I may try the UGL now that the flood cleaned up my basement for me.

Edited by cygnusx1

I absolutely do not miss a single thing about living in NY. My parents' place got flooded out last week due to rain water backing up the gutters and into the walls / roof because of the massive amounts of snow clogging everything. Meanwhile, I'm enjoying temps in the 80s and sunshine on my last spring break ever here in AZ B)

Hope things dry out for you soon!