HybridZ

How can the typical airline passenger be SO dumb?

Globerunner513

I'm an Agent for an airline that operates out of my hometown here, and I just want to say that passengers never cease to amaze me with their profound lack of intellect, and simple reasoning. That is all.

inconceivable-1.jpg

*facepalm* Every. Single. Time.

Edited by Globerunner513

As a 150K mile flyer, I can say the exact same thing back from the other side of the counter...

And thing is, when I pay $1000+ for a damn ticket I would expect my freakin seat WORKS (and doesn't bleed down to reclined every 45 seconds...)

You want airline rants? Pick any US Domestic carrier and I'll dig out an anecdote that will make your skin crawl from customer service.

Want a hint: Go spend some time at the Singapore Airlines Counter, and take some flights on their jets.

You will see how badly you suck (and I don't care WHAT airline you are working for in the USA, compared to Singapore Air...chances are great that you indeed suck.)

I exempt SWA from that comment. They haven't lost my bag, and actually don't seem to take themselves too seriously. Their people actually seem to think for themselves from what I've seen. As domestics go, I'd say SWA is 'top of the heap' though I haven't tried Jet Blue yet (mostly international.)

Edited by Tony D

Oh absolutely there are issues with customer service flying US domestic. Though many of the confrontations can be avoided by passengers getting rid of their "customer is always right" mentality. If you're late to the gate, you missed your flight. It sucks, and I wish I could do something, but my company requires I close the door 10 mins prior to departure, and that's what I do.

Then you have two options.

1 Blow up at me, rant and rave that you paid for your ticket, that you should be on the flight. I'll just quote company policy and not think twice about it. I'll do what I can to help you out, but probably won't be getting any breaks on the costs.

2. Understand you're late. Talk to me like an adult. Ask me what can be done, and I'll do my best to help you out.

That's how I see most issues escalate. The agent is doing their job, to the tune of what their company dictates. The passenger doesn't like it and makes a fit.(yes there are indeed some **** agents out there, but this is what I see most)

The real thing that gets me is just up at the boarding gate. It is downright impossible to get people to follow directions, and every single time it just turns into one big cat herding session. If our flight is running 20 mins late, and we're in the middle of boarding, we don't mind a passenger coming up and asking when to board. Usually a simple answer of 'wait till your number is called, just a couple minutes' is all it takes. Don't mistake that answer for poor customer service. Do you really expect us to drop everything we're doing and hold up the other 149 passengers trying to board because you couldn't listen to directions? I answered your question, let me get back to what I need to do. Passenger blew up at me today for that and for whatever reason that self entitled attitude just got under my skin this time.

Blah. lol. Funny thing is my friend who works in Sydney's international airport has the exact same stories. But overall I always have a much better experience flying internationally both by the customer service and by my fellow passengers. I haven't had the pleasure to fly Singapore, but I most other international carriers I've flown have all been a pleasure to fly with.

"The real thing that gets me is just up at the boarding gate. It is downright impossible to get people to follow directions, and every single time it just turns into one big cat herding session."

I board, first. I was there first. Before the old people. Before the people with children. I spend $50K+ a year on tickets with one particular airline group...

The least you can do is make a distinct gate announcement, a clearly demarked boarding gate area, and recognize the people who make the money.

That guy in "Up in the Air" with the small backpack? Comfortable shoes and plastic belt buckle? That's me. Get me from the door of the terminal to my seat ASAP, and with little fanfare as possible, and I'm happy.

This, apparently is impossible within the continental boundaries of the USA.

It's the same stuff that was in the bag last week. Same as the week before. Same as the week before that. It's not changing, I'm not allowed to pack it and check it any longer, and it HAS to go to my final destination, so it's in my carry on. My small carry on that I could fit two of in the sizing frame.

In 20+ years of flying before 9/11, I never lost a thing from any bag. Lost a bag or two, but usually they caught up.

Now that I have 'professionals' pawing through my stuff, things tend to disappear. Other people have found them on Craigslist or E-Bay. What can you do? Just chalk it up to the cost of doing business, everybody disclaims liability. Catch-22 Yossarian!

The dearth of common sense and 'rules are rules' nonthinking in customer service really doesn't do anybody any favors. Closing the gate 10 minutes beforehand is great....if the flight pushed back on time....for once! :angry:

My favorite was the hag from Delta 'training' a new attendant at the first class check in line. She checked me in every week for three months straight. Same flight, every day. I had distinctive baggage, but was not a suit. She commented to the new girl that 'those people always have things they shouldn't in their bags'... Well I didn't, yet each Monday she made my check-in a living hell with snotty questions and snide remarks. I just happened to hear that one that day. She insisted I take my bag down to the scales to be weighed (AGAIN!). "It was xx pounds last week when you checked me in, and the week before that, and the week before that, YOU want it weighed, YOU drag it to the g-d scales!" She then proceeded to tell me all about how people "like me" violate all sorts of laws, and that they need to open my bag and I just might miss my flight. (Pre 9-11) So they open the checked bag and look for contraband. There is none. Now I have to rush to my flight.

But not before FINALLY seeing Air-Hag's I-D Tag (which she for some reason turned around every time she checked me in...)

THAT precipitated a letter to the President on Company Letterhead.

Next week, "New Girl" was checking people in at First Class. I asked where 'The Air Hag' went, and apparently someone had complained up the line and she was out working the baggage rack at Ontario Airport... Never did see her there again.

I guess I'm one of 'those people'... you know, the ones who make you lock your car doors when you drive through 'that' part of town. Or the ones in the jungle that make you flick the safety off and keep your finger near the trigger...

Appearances can be deceiving. The guy in the suit may be on an FF upgrade. The guy with the jeans and a tool box may not be as stupid as one might think...

Flying has turned sour since 9/11. Entitlement mentality, unchecked power, and frustrated people on both sides of the counter. When I find an airline with people that seem happy, I fly them.

I don't fly Delta any more... B)

Check in at Athens airport in Greece, probably 1998...

Me: Hi, I'm on flight 123 to Frankfurt.

Counter Person: Yes, I know.

Me: How do you know?

CP: You look like someone that would fly to Frankfurt. Ticket please.

Me: How do Frankfurt bound passengers look?

CP: Like arrogant pricks.

Me: **** off *******.

CP: Hah! You're OK. Here's a some vouchers for free drinks at the bar over there. Your flight is almost empty so I'll upgrade you to first class.

Me: Huh?

CP: Have a good flight.

And it was probably my most enjoyable and relaxing flight ever. Olympic Air.

Haha yea i actually know what you mean and that sucks about the delta agent. Dont even want to get started on our tsa.

I think a big problem in the us with air travel as far as the 'rules are rules' goes chalks up to our respective airlines. At my airline, im ashamed of the little amount of customer service we can provide. Our hands are almost literally tied to our company's rules. I used to be able to work the system and re list a passenger for the next flight if they just showed up a few minutes late. Now the only thing i can do is have them pay the difference in the airfare between their flight and the one they are switching to. And thats even basically working the system and making up some story for our res department to do the change. Policy is that they have to buy a new ticket.

Just sucks that what we can actually do is so limited. Like the 10 mins door close. We are so bogged down with on time performance from corporate that even if i know someone is on the way i cant wait more than a minute or two before i HAVE to close the door otherwise a delay comes back to us. It sounds a little self serving but we simply cannot afford to be responsible for delays.

I think a lot of passengers are already frustrated before they even arrive to the airport, and with reason enough i guess. We have trained the general public that a ticket across the country is expensive over $100, and so ailines have to keep lowering ticket prices to keep competitive. Only way to recover those costs is to charge for everything under the sun. Then passengers complain about being charged for this that and the otherthing. What can we do? You wanted a cheap ticket and thiis is what you got. Thankfully we have a little bit of say when it comes to airport charges. A pound or two overweight, im not gonna drop a $50 fee on your head. But if we do need to charge you, understand thats what it costs to try to fly "cheap". Some things even we cant let slide.

Excuse the wall of text. On my iphone atm. I could go on forever about how crappy the whole industry is right now, but i just hope passengers learn to help themselves a little. Form a line, read the signs, listen to the announcements.. If only! Never a dull day at least

The most bizarre incident I ran into was this past summer. We were flying back east to spend a week at my mother's beach house and were flying XXXXXX airline out of the Ontario, California airport. All is well and the family (wife and 5 year old daughter) and I board the plan and arrive in Houston for the next leg of the flight. As I start to board the next plane, the gate attendant stops me.

Her: "Sir, how did you get here?"

Me: "Um, I flew here on your airline, on that (and I point) plane over there."

Her: "Sir, that is not possible. Our system shows you never left Ontario."

Me: "Then how, pray tell, do you explain why I am standing in front of you having this rather inane conversation?"

Her: "Sir, I need you to go the the desk over there and work with the agents....."

At this time I waved my wife and daughter onto the plane, certain that it was a small issue.

I get to the desk and they tell me that they have no idea how this happened. I told them that it was really not my problem, I don't care how this happened, it happened, get me on the plane.

"Oh, we can't do that, it's an overbooked flight....."

At this point I just about became unhinged, but I kept it as civil as I could because they were not being helpful or friendly. There were definitely the vindictive agents that would gladly watch you miss your plane. They also did not see why I could possibly be upset, as though this is something that routinely happens.

To bring this to a close, they had to offer up a voucher, etc. to get someone to give up their seat so that I may join my wife and daughter. As they printed my boarding pass and handed it to me, I told them that they might want to make sure that whoever fucked up gets head pulled out of his ass.

Edited by ktm

ever since working overseas for awhile i really hate flying anymore.partly because i am kind of claustrophobic.us domestic airlines are kind of like of like flying greyhound busses any more.best airline i would recommed is emirates if you need to goto the middle east.nice new planes with on board video screens.for domestic southwest seems ok.but if you fly odds are you will have a problem sometime.my main gripe right now is too many people with too much carry on stuff-it take too much time to board and unload.worst nightmare-getting stuffed onto a plane in baghdad at 4 in the afternoon after the plane had sat out all day with no a/c .it was 126 out that day.plane was loaded and doors shut.i thought i was going to die on that flight -no a/c till dubai

Edited by randy 77zt

I will agree Emirates is a damned nice carrier as well!

But Singapore Airlines....those uniforms...it's the "on the plane viewing" (and not on the video screen) that gets MY nod! ;)

John C: Awesome story! :D

Globerunner, sounds like the MBA's are getting ahold of the airline. That's, alas, the state of affairs. People start putting 'business' before they realise their job is moving people. They seem to loose site in that, and think we all are just another 'process to be managed and maximized'...some shite you just don't do!

BUT...before you delude youself into thinking that a ticket 'has' to cost any amount, realize I can take fares outside the USA booked sometimes hours before departure for less than the cab fare to the airport! Low cost carriers to be sure, but the customer service received is second to none. Cheap doesn't mean poor service, nor does it have to mean stripped of all accomodation. Air Asia flights kick ARSE compared to other carriers costs, and they have 'business class' style seating on most flights cheaper than most economy fares. No, you don't get a meal. You pay for everything including water. You can sometimes be tagged for baggage fees that literally cost more than the ticket... But most are regional fares of less than 3 hours so it's not a big deal. And sitting in that nice wide REAL LEATHER seat for some reason doesn't have me reaching for the burbon or other medicants during a flight. Which could lead me onto the rant about charging $3 to $5 for a damn BEER on the domestic flights when international flights treat it the same as water (or a mixed drink for that matter...)

I have no problem with my 15Kg limitation for baggage, but, nor being treated like a cattle call when it comes to boarding. If it gets the plane off the ground, and at my destination on time, do it.

I don't ask for much, just let me get on the plane as fast as possible from terminal door to seat, LEAVE ON TIME, and DON'T LOOSE MY BAGS! Southwest has been extrodinary in that respect. To the point that I usually try to fly them instead of my 'preferred' airline simply because of the last two items. Now they automatically upgrade me to 1st Class, or Business if 1st is full, but that is little consolation if the flight is mechanically delayed for an hour, or my bag goes to Cincinnatti when I'm in Detroit.

Most airports are now putting in 'FF Premium' screening lines, and that is a HUGE help. Frankly, the time I sit in some line behind 'once a year flyers' with all that crap they inevitably carry...the people that don't travel in slip-off shoes, have nonmetallic belt buckles, have their laptop in the foldout pouch on their backpack, their jacket off, and their keys, celphone, loose change and whatever already out of their pockets before they leave the AIRPORT TERMINAL SHUTTLE BUS FROM THE PARKING AREA! (Seriously, I am the "up in the air" guy!!! :D ) More places need those lines, I demand it! B) I mean, that time is all wasted from my life for no good reason. If there were a global pass that actually worked "EVERYWHERE" it would be wonderful. Instead you got to apply in Amsterdam and you're good at Schipol, You can apply again in the USA for domestic and some international flights, there's another for ASEAN... I'm not a terrorist, I may LOOK like one, but I'm not. I know what I can and can't have on the plane. I pack accordingly. Oh...Ohhhhh!

I think most people don't mind 'rules' and appreciate efforts, but there are as you said "forces from above" which are dictating actions. And when that impression is felt, and transferred, big problems result. When people don't think they have any control whatsoever the frustration quotient rises. Southwest lets people make decisions---like you said leeway on some things makes the endurance of the situation bareable.

Now baggage fees? Southwest doesn't charge them. A pound or two (uh...er 20...) they don't charge. On the times when I've really been over they say "can you split it up into the other bag"---nah, just charge me. But it's never a $50 charge for 2# (like, uh... SOME airlines)... Hell, I was charged $230 for excess baggage by Philippine Airlines for a MNL-BKK-NRT segment booked through TG. I'm premium on TG (Star Alliance) and my luggage wouldn't be 'excessive' had I checked in at BKK, but Philippine Air was so nice as to 'collect the baggage fee for Thai Air' right there in Manila. Uh, yeah, right. LEFT BKK with those same bags, weighing EXACTLY the same, and I didn't get an Excess Baggage Fee... Inconsistency is what breeds the rage. It's not the $50 so much is the lie that it is somehow actually justified in being charged. It's not $50 to fly that bag at 2# over. Not even close. But some marketing guy and some MBA got together and figured 'This is what they will bear and it won't impact our flight ticketing sales' so they charge it. Southwest lady says: "Hey, you got one big, heavy bag there, it's overweight, and it's going to be $50. If you want to repack it, we have these duffel bags for $25, that's CHEAPER, if you want you can move the stuff over and then it's only $25 to ship your stuff instead of $50."

WOW!

Now, landing in Bangkok, I got no problem finding my bag on the carousel. It's the big black Duffel Bag that says "SOUTHWEST AIRLINES"... And I take perverse satisfaction out of having my FF Bag Tag from "Star Alliance" on it when on domestic flights!

If anybody wants a nice duffel bag, ask for one on an outgoing Southwest Flight, they will sell them at the ticketing counter. It's a PITA to sell one to you on the other end of the flight, they have to ring sales at the counter attached to a ticket. It's not really a 'for sale' item, but they sell them in association with tickets outbound.

There's an MBA who's THINKING FOR PEOPLE!

KTM, uh, it doesn't sound like you were flying very friendly skies that day, were you... :P

Actually Globerunner, if you get the gist of this...I think I may be agreeing with you, I'm just not the 'typical' airline passenger. I do have a modicum of grey matter and do read and generally comply with the guidelines, and am consistently amazed by what idiots I see at the airport do on a daily basis. I love the idiot who checks in late and carries EVERYTHING to the plane...oh yeah, like there's going to be space in the overhead for that....CHECK IT! And when I see them boarding looking upset I'm the guy who starts cought "CHECKIT! CHECKIT!"

At least on SWA, that gets me a free drink or two! :lol:

Edited by Tony D

• 2 weeks later...
The real thing that gets me is just up at the boarding gate. It is downright impossible to get people to follow directions, and every single time it just turns into one big cat herding session. If our flight is running 20 mins late, and we're in the middle of boarding, we don't mind a passenger coming up and asking when to board. Usually a simple answer of 'wait till your number is called, just a couple minutes' is all it takes. Don't mistake that answer for poor customer service. Do you really expect us to drop everything we're doing and hold up the other 149 passengers trying to board because you couldn't listen to directions? I answered your question, let me get back to what I need to do. Passenger blew up at me today for that and for whatever reason that self entitled attitude just got under my skin this time.

This is one thing that gets me too. I don't understand why it is so hard... board from the back of the plane first. It is the most efficient way to board the aircraft, and therefore the fastest. Or just have first-come-first-served seats. It's pretty hilarious when your seat is in the back of the aircraft and you're in the first section to board, yet 1/3 of the passengers are already on the plane, in the aisle blocking your way with their ridiculously over-sized carry-ons. Instructions are not that hard to follow people.

Yeah Tony, I think we are more or less on the same page. There are some fantastic travelers out there, and they really help make a difficult flight seem not quite so hopeless. I've certainly have some stories of some pretty dumb moments even for general public standards. It does seem that 'customer service' to a lot of people means not having to pay for things. A passenger chose this airline, and this airline has <-----> set of rules. If you buy a non refundable cheap ticket, then miss your flight, you'll have to pay for a new ticket. Customer service is not moving you to another flight for free. If I do that, it's because I'm trying to help you out. If you need to pay, that's the game you play. Buy travel insurance the airline offers, or a flexible ticket and you would have more options.

I had 2 girls miss a flight last week. (no not good looking) They came up to the counter during "final boarding' at the gate for their flgiht. I had to simply tell them that it was too late to check in and there was no way I could get them on their flight in time. It sucks to say, but it happens. They said they were held up at the Canadian border for questioning and "wasn't their fault". I didn't say anything, but obviously they didn't leave enough time to cross into another country, and because of it, missed their flight.

Anyway I told them that because they missed their flight, their airfare was forfeit. We had no more flights to that destination until a couple days away, so I told them that if it would help them get to where they need to go, I could go ahead and move their outbound segment to one of 2 other destinations we had going that day. I spent the next 2 hours, between checking in flights, looking at options on other airlines out of the destinations we serviced that day. I was working with a gal from another airline across from us on options with them.

They ended up dealing with her directly and found a flight that got them there later in the evening that day. I checked up with them as they were paying for the tickets and asked if everything worked out alright. Then had the audacity to tell me that "XX Airline" did all the leg work finding something to work for them, and that my airline showed them no customer service. "I don't understand how if it's not my fault, why I'm paying for it." I said I'm sorry again, but I was willing to do all these things to help you out. Tried to explain all the ways we tried to go over what is really allowed of us (I was even willing to move their whole trip to another time which meant really messing with the system). Accused me of not caring, or being sorry even. (not that either matters really...but that kinda got to me)

Situations like that are way too discouraging, and happen all too often. After a point you just decide it's not worth it to try anymore. That's kind of where I'm at. There really isn't any point. We have rules in place, and they are actually there for a reason. I think a lot of airline employees have that sort of a revelation after working the job for a while and realize there isn't any point. I still do the best I can to keep people happy, but I'm done with bypassing my company's rules with the hope it will be appreciated, or to keep customers happy. Of course, if WE make a mistake, or screw up... well now that's another ball game and I'll go through whatever I need to try to resolve the issue.

260DET: It sounds to me you've never been in a service industry. We do as best we can to keep people happy, but some things need to be enforced. Next time you fly, try sitting back and people watching. You'll see what I'm talking about.

Oh and Tony, as for the overweight baggage, our airline charges $50 for any bag between 50-70 lbs and $75 for anything over that up to 100lbs. (100lbs as we do not accept cargo, and that is one definition of cargo). The thing is, 2 lbs obviously isn't fair to passengers to charge that much, and we do whatever we can to either overlook it, or whatever. Our airfare is cheap, and baggage fees is one of the ways the airline makes up for the cheap tickets, so we do need to charge if it's warranted.

The thing about it not costing an extra $50 to move 2 lbs, that's in fact only partially true. They way baggage works is there is a weight range we operate with. 0-50 lbs, 51-70 lbs, 71-100 lbs. In those groups, bags aren't weighed for what they are, but actually each bag is averaged. For our "normal" bags, they are averaged to only 30lbs. So if a bag is 2 lbs overweight, it puts it in the next weight group, and then really we're having to ship about 30 extra pounds. The passenger doesn't know this, and probably won't understand it, but that's why airlines charge what they do for bags that are overweight. Each airline has a different take on it though, and I've flown on JetStar in Australia/Asia will charge $20 AUD per KILO overweight. Makes our fees seem like a bargain after a point.

My point is that although the business is making money, and I do personally feel that my own airline charges too much for a lot of things, there are reasons to the charges. I do think it's pretty cool that SWA doesn't charge for checked bags. One of the reasons our airline can't do that, aside from squeezing every last penny out of our passengers, is the type of aircraft we operate. We typically fly out of smaller airports with shorter runways, and if we allowed people to check in bags for free, we would be overrun with checked bags and run into an overweight on the aircraft. After about 100 checked bags, it starts to get interesting with the weight and balance. So we have to limit the amount of bags people check in, and the most efficient way to do that is to make people pay for them. More people will find a way to make a carry on work, or only check in one bag.

I am very concerned that our airline is talking about possibly charging for Carry Ons too!! I'll be quite ashamed if we do.

All in all, it is a stressful and not suited for those without a thick skin, but I really do enjoy my job. I'll have the rest of my aviation/commercial ratings in about 2 years and hopefully I'll find a job with a nice reinforced door between me and the passengers. But until then, I'll just rack up the passenger stories.

" If you buy a non refundable cheap ticket, then miss your flight, you'll have to pay for a new ticket."

ROMAFLOL

My fellow engineer had to fly some parts down to me (handcarry)... He flies "CZ"

He calls me an says "I'm on CZXXXX from PVG to BKK"

My response "Oh, you're screwed! I NEVER fly them!"

Our booking system buys those damn cheap tickets...O, I, all those crap fares that you don't even get FF miles for (and THAT'S CHEAP!) Anyway, like the dutiful young engineer he is (who hasn't realized his boss is 12,000 miles away and would NEVER know he spent the night in Bangkok until a month after the fact...if that) he literally delivers the parts and turns RIGHT AROUND in the Bangkok airport and checks back in for his return flight to Shanghai.

One of the last 6 people on the flight, he gets bumped. And their policy is if you get bumped, you 'get a seat...if that flight isn't overbooked' so what he THOUGHT was a business class flight back at 1AM taxi ride, hotel room and $100 cash turned into 4 days in Bangkok (and he was STRESSED! What do they teach these kids in school nowadays???) Before he finally called and said "I bought another ticket!"

The factory was off for Chinese New Year, and he was 'gone' for most of it...nobody knew he was gone.

It took him three weeks to realize what had happened.

Now, he's flying back on vacation (not on a CZ flight) and realized that 'refundable fare' is a box on the booking tool that WHEN CHECKED gets you a flight that you will actually have a seat priority on if you do get bumped! (And even if the flights are more expensive, they are 'authorized' because the cost-basis for the fares jumps when you check the box!!!)

My fave is the stuff they won't let you take onboard, but which they disclaim any responsibility for if you check...Catch-22 Yossarian?

Boggles my mind that we put a barcode on a bag and it's scanned. And that at each subsequent touch it's not scanned. So I can see which personnel opened it. Why isn't TSA under video monitoring during inspections? Why don't they scan the tag, which then superimposes passenger information to the video along with screener information which is held for 'training and observation purposes' for 48 hours (during which time if there is a complaint made by a passenger of missing articles the tape can be scrutinized?)

When two brand-new Nissan Differential Oil Pumps go missing after I make a Bag-Drag at Newark (after jumping all over Europe for 6 weeks and not having them disturbed ONCE) kinda soured me on this 'security' check. Especially when "I know people" and got as far as the union rep on the floor who told me basically FOAD...my parts are gone, forever. Electronics not responsible, sorry sir!

In over 20+ years of travelling I NEVER had ANYTHING go missing from my bag UNTIL the TSA was given the authority to open my bag 'for my own safety'...

Argh...

Edited by Tony D