HybridZ

LSx s30 Longtube group buy thread

Yesterday I got tired of seeing my headers sitting on the workbench in my basement so I bit the bullet and started the install on my 280. To be honest, I was a little hesitant because of all of the fitment issues people have been speaking of. Well after about 10 hours, I can tell you the headers were obviously made on a 280 because I have absolutely no fitment issues and am very happy with the final product. Sorta makes the "no gasket" situation easier to swallow. Just reuse the gaskets that I had and all is good :)

Joe

Edited by rags

After all the belly-achin' we've been doing: it would be great if every guy could post his progress or at least their excitement when they have these headers in and installed. It would also be cool if any associated dyno results and engine configurations (intake, cam, heads, down-stream exhaust system, etc) could be posted as we each get them. Blake may have to adjust his pricing (probably up) to make sure this is a win-win, but it would be great if we could keep this going; perhaps this is a product that we could keep available for posterity. Who knows, maybe Blake could do something crazy like sell his prototypes to Sanderson or Hooker and make a million bucks. Lets all quit belly-achin' about the gaskets, too; after spending $1200 on a car that is worth $3000 on a good day, we shouldn't be all that upset about a $50 problem. When I had my car stripped and painted 20 years ago, the painter under-bid the job and had to work in other jobs around mine to keep food on his table. A supposed 3 week job took 4 months. I put our header saga in the same category as that one. 20 years later, I still have a great paint job. And, since these headers are stainless (and some are coated), they should last us a long time too.

As for me: I have build fatigue and will not likely be putting my headers on THIS car. It is 107-degrees in Alabama today and I ain't goin' in the garage, cause it is likely over 115-degrees in there! That obligates me to build a 280z-based hybrid in the future, maybe by then I'll be installing an LS-12 or something. That car will correct many of the do-overs I'd like to do on this car, and there is a long list.

I finally unpacked the box of headers (see photo). My father in law is on hospice in our home, so everything is taking longer than I'd like. Well, the v-bands were left off. I just checked the sign up list and I did request v-bands. But, I'm not gonna sweat it since they'll likely need modification to fit the floorpans anyway. They are still so beautiful. Primary length is about 24". I'm keeping them.

post-5903-019490400 1341198640_thumb.jpg

Edited by RebekahsZ

Yesterday I got my exhaust finished up. All stainless, mandrel bends and I have 2 options for how quiet it is. Instead of using a traditional y pipe, the exhaust shop recommended a 2 into 1 single chamber muffler tucked up close to the driveshaft in the middle of the car. From there 3" to the back of the car to the traditional location of a muffler where he added another flange. Attached to that flange he made 2 options. The first is just a straight pipe with tip and the second is a 2 chamber muffler with tip. I drove the car home with the straight pipe and although I like the sound, I don't think wide open throttle will pass LimeRock Park's strict noise policy. I'm glad the shop asked about that track and suggested the second muffler option.

I just ordered 2 new O2 sensors from Rock Auto. Once they come in and I get them installed I'll set up a tuning session to see if anything HP wise has been gained by the long tubes.

Anyone want to buy a slightly used Sanderson header full exhaust? B)

Would Blake be a happy camper if I wanted set #20? Sounds like a long journey for these Long Tube headers. I'll post my build later but debating to take them to a local header company (KOOKS) to build these for me...Thoughts?

I'd give Blake a call and see what he says. It would seem by going to Kooks you're somewhat reinventing whats already been done. If I were him it would make me happy to sell another set [believe he ordered sufficient bends to build at least 20 pair, which is what I'd have done]. Think we have the bugs worked out so the next pair should be spot on. We also have some dyno results and the installation instructions have been used & updated so I would not anticipate any surprises.

Would Blake be a happy camper if I wanted set #20? Sounds like a long journey for these Long Tube headers. I'll post my build later but debating to take them to a local header company (KOOKS) to build these for me...Thoughts?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey everyone, thought I'd share a quick write up on my header install...

Two weeks ago I spent the weekend in my buddies shop installing my headers. It ended up taking me 14 hours with a lift.

Here are some of the issues I came across:

First off, I would recommend taking out all the plugs(I took out six, seemed like plenty of room, but still ended up cracking one)

Also, taking the alternator out was not optional for me, since it was interfering with the removal of the engine mount bolt.

The proportioning valve had to be relocated for clearance, I could not get the pipes on with it in the stock location.

Not only did I have to cut some threads off of the drivers side TC arm, I had to cut off ALL the threads, not enough, then I ground a bit off the nut, not enough, and then I ended up having to ball peen one of the head pipes to get enough clearance to mount the headers. Unfortunately, after about five in and outs with the drivers side, I still need to get them out one more time, as they are occasionally rattling on the nut down there. The drivers side was the tough one.

On the passenger side, I had to grind back the upper rear corner of the passenger side motor mount to clear the head pipes there.

After taking a slightly uncomfortable amount of metal off the TC mount, I still had to dent one of the pipes a little bit in that area too.

I also had to cut a chunk off the rear TC washer on the passenger side.

For the two drivers side inside sparkplug boots, I orderd the MSD bits, but ended up just cutting about 3/4" off the back of the stock boots/shields then sealing with silicone, seems to work fine for now.

As for the no-show on the gaskets, I just reused the stock MLS gaskets, no problem.

One, yeah, one last thing. Chase the threads in the o2 bungs before you put the headers in. I got everything in and sorted, and I went to put in the O2 sensors as the last piece of the puzzle, only to find that both sides threads would not let me get the sensors in. I had to either pull everything back out or chase the threads with the headers in, which I somehow managed to do, but that was not an enjoyable way to finish this job.

Hopefully you all have a little more room to work with, I'm not sure if my engine is maybe a little higher than others(bought the car with the LS1 in it), or maybe these cars are each just that much different(probably). Mine's a 77 280Z.

After sorting out the headers I took the car over to an exhaust shop and had them flange in a a 2.5 y section, followed by a 3" single exhaust with a cat and basic turbo type muffler. When I got home, I nearly high centered my Z entering the garage, it took three trips total to the exhaust shop to get it sorted, but it finally turned out really nice with no ground clearance issues.

The old exhaust was 1.5" shorty headers, 2.5 y, 2.5 single, 2.5 cat, into a 2.5 magnaflow.

This whole process has turned out to be a bigger effort then I was hoping for, but worth it in the end.

I did not do a before after dyno, but I did take it to Bandimere Speedway before and after.

My best run before was 13.145@107.46mph at a DA of 9238 feet.

My best run after was 13.031@110.42mph at a DA of 8231 feet.

(please don't rag on my ET's, I'm running 225 street tires, 5800 feet above sea level:)

The car now weighs in at 2630 without driver, 1/4 tank of gas. The headers and exhaust added about 10 pounds.

There is an old drag racers rule of thumb that states: for a 3000+/-lb car, every 10 hp gain will net you 1 mph in the 1/4 mile. So...

Although not a controlled environment experiment, the trap speeds suggest a before/after gain of around 30HP from the headers and 3" exhaust, no change in tune.

Correct that for the change in Density Altitude, and I would guess that I gained a solid 20HP.

I'm pleased with the results. The headers look great(especially compared to the rusty 1-1/2" that were in there) and the exhaust sounds great too.

Good Luck

edit:

forgot to mention, the engine is a stock 2001 camaro ls1. The ecu has a sticker from fuel injection specialties in 2005, I don't know what they did to it.

Edited by atomp3

• 1 month later...

Here is the builders contact info, suggest you call and ask if he's willing to make you a set. Would also read the thread [all the way through] before calling so you know the build specifications, etc.

Blake Hughes-owner [and person I've dealt with since beginning this thread]

417 Motorsports

326 North Kansas Expressway

Springfield, MO 65803

417-865-1314 shop

417-880-2329 cell

417motorsports@gmail.com

are these headers still available?

Sooooo I just lost 15 minutes of my life reading all 21 pages of this thread... Couple of comments...

16 wheel HP on HEADERS alone is what I would have expected. When I had my C5 Corvette this was exactly what we would have expected. We did a header/Z06 Intake/software tune and picked up 40 Wheel HP on an LS1. It's a known combo, so why anyone would poopoo headers producing anything over 20HP on their own is ridiculous. We would also have expected as others have stated that we'd be upgrading heads/cam/intake/tune later to make the header upgrade really shine.

And this next comment is going to piss some of you off, but it's true. $825 is a STEAL for good quality custom headers. Bitching about the price per performance gained is sad, but seems to be the norm here on HybridZ.

I'm doing my research right now and I'm trying to decide what route to go for headers on my LS1/heads/cam/ARE drysump build. I'd love to get a pair of these for my little 1976 280Z, but I don't want to wait a year, and I don't want to deal with unresponsive shops. So was this just a "You guys didn't meet the full agreed to group buy order of 20, so I'm not shipping the gaskets" or has this guy become a shop to deal with in these economucally tough times?

Regardless, If anyone with a set isn't planning to use them now wants to unload them, Im' in the market for a set of heads. Feel free to contanct me.

Mike

Edited by Mikelly

• 2 weeks later...

Hes a very busy shop with large projects. 20 sets of headers takes up alot of extra time when you have multiple projects you are working on. I was at the shop a few times when he was assembling all of these. Its definatley alot of work and rushing through them would have caused alot of issues. He has the jig for the headers but not sure if he wants to get just one set of pipes bent for one order but he might. Winter is usually a busy time for projects so you might call him and ask him if he is interested.

Please let me know when they arrive. I'll worry 'till you are satisfied. I have felt very spiritually empty since I dropped them off at UPS. How long did we wait for those? - like a year or more-plus all the drama? There was a 2010 or 2011 Camaro COPO at the track yesterday ($100,000 car) that ran 9.60s straight from the factory. He said all he did was put gas in it and air the tires. It had a Powerglide and an aluminum LSx 427 with the Holley snorkle-style intake from the factory. His headers looked just like the ones in the mail to you, except his weren't ceramic coated. The smell of 110 octane coming thru the floorboards straight off the collecgtor -yummm..... The whole reason I sold them to you was that I'm committed to my exhaust cutouts thru the front fenders (its a childhood dream thing) - the longtubes just put the collector too far back for me to pull that off. It still hurt to see them go. I'm curious to see how much the Kooks headers that rags is having made wind up costing him. Maybe in a totally custom situation I can have my cake and eat it too. It's only money!

Edited by RebekahsZ
  • Like 1