HybridZ

LSx s30 Longtube group buy thread

Not to hack this thread but we have an LS 280 z at a well known custom header manufacturer we have commited to 5 sets 1 7/8" stainless steel with priliminary pricing around $1200. Pm me if interested or more.details

I got my headers/collectors cut / welded and back in for the auto transmission, even had room for V bands!  Question, are any of you folks running these long tubes the least bit concerned with the steering upper knuckle being so close to the primary tube on the drivers side, also the wiring for the starter and crank sensor are rediculously close to tubes.  Getting a 2 guage wire, 2 seperate positive  wires from the harness and a 8 guage alternator wire all in there with the crank sensor is stupid close to a melt down. Did anyone use heatshield or some sort of heat deflector?

Signed, sincerely concerned....LOL

I'm in the middle of my LS3 conversion.  I have the headers installed for fitment.  The passenger side headers are block the oil temperature sensor on the F body oil pan. Here is a link to the oil pan: http://texas-speed.com/p-1588-gm-oil-pan-kit-98-02-ls1-f-body.aspx

Anyone encounter this problem?  I would consider different oil pan with different oil temp sensor placement.  Not sure which pan would work.  I will ask the member in the LS1 forum for advise but hope someone already has the solution here

gallery_38074_1276_125622.jpg

gallery_38074_1276_142655.jpg

Cheechq, Speedway motors makes a metal plug for that sensor port for $20. I don't know how tall it is I just bought one yesterday and should be here tuesday

• 2 weeks later...

Oh nice let me fight through mine and then someone makes them for under a grand!

Just kidding it wasn't that bad.

Why don't you guys load your cars on a trailer, bring them up to Indiana and I'll help you build some. By help I mean I'll sit on a lawn chair and drink beer and tell you what your doing wrong! :icon7:

Cheechq that oil level plug is only about 1/2" tall, that frees up a little space and its aluminum so it shouldn't melt.

Edited by Naptown Dave

The GM LS2 starter for a 2005 Corvette GM part number 89017664 (also AC Delco 323-162) will not clear the headers.  The  Duralast starter part number DL9717S will clear headers.  The two mounting bolts are GM part number 11610787

• 1 month later...

Thought I would register and chime in on this topic for my first actual post. I saw Shupe this past weekend at the standing 1/2 mile in GA. He was running his LS powered Z in the event. Didn't elaborate but said he had gotten banned on here. Did say that the first set of stainless long tubes were done. He did say that his friend Bruce at Hawks third gen camaro is the one that has gotten the ball rolling and committed to several sets and paid for the jig to build them and has exclusive rights on the deal.through a major builder. Supposedly production and shipping will not be an issue and they will be available very soon. He showed me a picture on his phone and they looked super nice. If anyone is interested PM me.

Edited by 280zjake